It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

AT&T Reportedly Blocks 4Chan. This Is Going To Get Ugly.

page: 6
81
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit
 


Somebody hasn't been on the Internet very long. There are sites out there on the Internet that are far worse than 4chan; 4chan is just one of the most popular. If you censor 4chan, what is to stop them from censoring other sites? When will it end? There are some people that believe in the idea that we should only have around 1,000 company-controlled, highly-monitored websites. If you are in that group, I feel sorry for you.




posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Oh.. ok, that's cool.. attack me because I dare insult a site that provides access to the worst of the worst. Awesome.


Is there anything on that site that isn't depraved and sick you can't get from another site? No.. no there isn't. Censorship? Look.. the Internet is nothing like we have had in the past. Parents stopping kids. Are you effing kidding me? Even the most diligent parent can't stop a kid from visiting sites like these. Internet cafes, libraries, schools, you name it... they can get to this stuff. I am in the computing industry. I've seen first hand, how computer unsavvy these folks are (parents), and you can't blame them for not stopping what they have no idea about.

Someone told me about 4chan in regards to some Anime stuff. I checked it out. I was sick when I left, and I have not gone back. I visited only a few of the "channels," and I saw someone sawing the head off of a live pig, bestiality, pedophilia, scat, etc... in I dunno.. 10 minutes? You can completely f-up a kid for the rest of their lives on that site. If you don't think seeing a soldier, an icon of supposedly, all that is good and strong in our country, tie a bomb to a puppy, and kill it, won't screw up that kid forever, you have no clue in hell about life.

Now, people want to restrict access to this site.. and you protest? Why? Oh yes. I'd guess because you visit it, love all the depraved crap, and support it. You don't have kids. Wait.. you do? Oh.. you are an ignorant fool the. "Johnny.. don't you dare visit those sites! Ok dad!" And then 1 hour later, he is at his buddies house, checking it all out.

Before the Internet, did kids have access to videos of people killing others, themselves, disasters, tragic accidents, bestiality, pedophilia.. on ONE EASY TO ACCESS LOCATION? No.. they didn't. Censorship? The rules must change. They must, to keep up with changing technology.

If you are a sane, caring person... how in the hell could you support this site? Are you flipping insane? I am all for freedom, rights, non-censorship... but the rules HAVE CHANGED. If you cannot see this, you are either stupid, or ignoring the truth, because it benefits you. i.e. you visit these sites, and like them.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by fleabit]


Never once did I say I support 4chan. I don't support censorship of any kind unless its child porn, which is already tracked, censored and removed from the net as far as I know. Only a hardcore pervert whos really searching for it I would imagine would be able to find that stuff.

And I am computer literate, I work in computer security/IT for a local company.

When my daughter is old enough to go to peoples houses for sleepovers and stuff (shes only 4) I will MAKE SURE they are responsible parents who monitor ALL of their kids computer and video game activities. As far as library and schools I'm pretty sure they block this stuff.

Basically if your kids see this stuff its ALL ON YOU! No one else is to blame, sorry to say. Its YOUR fault!



[edit on 27-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Dude you admitted you actually went there once.

I am smart enough to NEVER go there. Never been once. I got tipped off here on ATS about it actually. And the warning I got was clear enough to help me realize it was worse than the gutter of the internet, it is the sewer.

But you have to be kidding me, your supporting a massive bloodthirsty corporation over the people.

I was not actually supporting either side, I was just happy to watch a corporation get it's rear handed to it. (In only a few hours at that)

But when you talked smack on GTA, i knew you and I would be enemies for life.
Hahah im joking, I'll forgive you if you take back what you said about GTA.
Serious.



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
All I will say here is that AT&T is indeed blocking img.4chan.org from AT&T DSL and U-verse customers (the rest of 4chan and the other chans are as of yet unaffected). Technical support has no information on it, neither do their supervisors, so calling in won't help, nor will it get you information.

Also, the rest of AT&T wasn't notified of the ban for what it was until about 4-5 hours after it occurred so if you talked to someone who 'lied' to you, it's because they were misinformed, first. AT&T lies to everyone, you're just talking to the bottom of the chain when you call tech support.

I'm kind of hoping people do call in, but I hope you do it 300 at a time



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Ana are you an AT&T customer because all reports are they've lifted the ban? I'm not being aggressive, I'm trying to keep info flowing.


ppl at projectAt&T are also confirming the lift


From an anon chat room

[edit on 27-7-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit
 


If you can't stop your children from looking up gore and such then you're doing something very wrong. Doesn't matter where they find it if you let it happen then it's your own fault.
Regards of the content itself if you dont like it then fine dont watch it. Dont go around judging other people who do. Some people love the sicko stuff and that's just the way it is, it's none of your business.



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
So 4chan won this "battle" against AT&T in only six hours? that's super fast. Does this mean that the "depraved" folks and hackers from 4chan are in our side against corporations trying to censor the only unrestricted place for self-expression (the internet)?

hopefully other sites will be as swift as 4chan when this sort of censorship occurs again. 4chan might be depraved and a horrible site in the eyes of many, but censoring their freedom of speech and assembly by blocking some parts of their site is illegal and unconstitutional.

those of us who don't approve of what is shown in 4 chan (like me) must applaud them, because they sure as heck will not allow censorship to hit the US.

good job to the guys at 4chan. if no one had acted, then the next site to be censored could have possibly been this one.



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
"I don't support the site but this is ridiculous!"

Wha..?

What it ridiculous is not supporting a site... then defending it. If you don't know anything about it, why are you defending it for cripes sake?


and games like GTA

What is to stop a 12 yo from visiting this site.. and seeing the worst of the worst, from suicide videos, to porn, to worse? Nothing. And people complain about it. Unreal.


You should check out the documentary "we are wizards." Its free on Hulu.
Its about Harry Potter...
There is a woman on there saying things like you are, about how Harry potter is corrupting our children's brains etc, and then cuts to ton of Harry Potter fans getting together singing about love...

You feel free to judge these games and websites, yet you are only going by your own opinions, what are they based on?
Have you talked to these people?

Why would you let your own anger infringe on so many other people with different interests? Why would you sacrifice your amendment rights to satisfy your control over what other people do and do not do?
I think you should focus on yourself a little more. No one is making you play those games or visit those sites, and its our freedom that doesnt block you from visiting whatever sites you do go to or whatever game you want to play, or movie you want to see.

I now internet bullying is a big problem nowadays, but seriously, grow up.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Odessy]



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ananke
 


Actually, it seems they have unblocked it for now. Do you use AT&T Internet and are still unable to access it?



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Not surprising.

There was a (now defunct) website that exposed the harsh realities of war and it got blocked/censored in Germany. I won't mention the name here..not sure it's allowed.

But yeah, this isn't news to me at all. Especially with 4chan...


4CHANFTW

[edit on 27-7-2009 by GorehoundLarry]



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Oh.. ok, that's cool.. attack me because I dare insult a site that provides access to the worst of the worst. Awesome.


You weren't "attacked" simply because you don't support 4chan. You were "attacked" because you spewed out unsupported garbage.


Is there anything on that site that isn't depraved and sick you can't get from another site? No.. no there isn't. Censorship? Look.. the Internet is nothing like we have had in the past. Parents stopping kids. Are you effing kidding me? Even the most diligent parent can't stop a kid from visiting sites like these. Internet cafes, libraries, schools, you name it... they can get to this stuff. I am in the computing industry. I've seen first hand, how computer unsavvy these folks are (parents), and you can't blame them for not stopping what they have no idea about.


It's up to the parents to do their own research and act accordingly. Like I said, it's no one else's job to parent the children except for the parents. Things shouldn't be censored because you think you can set the standard for what is "sick."


Someone told me about 4chan in regards to some Anime stuff. I checked it out. I was sick when I left, and I have not gone back. I visited only a few of the "channels," and I saw someone sawing the head off of a live pig, bestiality, pedophilia, scat, etc... in I dunno.. 10 minutes? You can completely f-up a kid for the rest of their lives on that site. If you don't think seeing a soldier, an icon of supposedly, all that is good and strong in our country, tie a bomb to a puppy, and kill it, won't screw up that kid forever, you have no clue in hell about life.


Then clearly you weren't in the right section of the site. There is a portion of the site that is for anime, and it's an all ages board. Where the porn and all the rest of the sick stuff is posted is part of a group of 18+ boards, clearly labeled for parents to steer their children away from.


Now, people want to restrict access to this site.. and you protest? Why? Oh yes. I'd guess because you visit it, love all the depraved crap, and support it. You don't have kids. Wait.. you do? Oh.. you are an ignorant fool the. "Johnny.. don't you dare visit those sites! Ok dad!" And then 1 hour later, he is at his buddies house, checking it all out.


I protest because I don't think my freedoms should be taken away, regardless of what I'm looking at or contributing to. It's none of your business. If you don't like what I'm looking at or contributing to, there are millions upon billions of sites out there that I don't look at or contribute to that you're welcome to visit. You or anyone else don't have the right to restrict MY viewing of something simply because you think you can set the standard to what is good, moral, whatever.

Also, I don't see how whether or not I have kids has anything to do with my opinions on censorship. If I were a parent, I would make sure to monitor what my kids do, and if they happen to stumble on sites like that, I would have a conversation with them to explain what they just saw.


Before the Internet, did kids have access to videos of people killing others, themselves, disasters, tragic accidents, bestiality, pedophilia.. on ONE EASY TO ACCESS LOCATION? No.. they didn't. Censorship? The rules must change. They must, to keep up with changing technology.


The rules mustn't change. The parents must change.


If you are a sane, caring person... how in the hell could you support this site? Are you flipping insane? I am all for freedom, rights, non-censorship... but the rules HAVE CHANGED. If you cannot see this, you are either stupid, or ignoring the truth, because it benefits you. i.e. you visit these sites, and like them.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by fleabit]





posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Odessy
 


You meant to reply to that other dude.

Thats cool though cuz I know what you said can't possibly apply to me, I agree with you! lol

Mistakes happen.

Edit=
Never mind - you corrected it as I replied. Word.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by muzzleflash]



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Can anyone in New York access /b/? Apparently reports of NYC still being blocked.


Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:04:32 No.148803363

Reporting in from Dallas, /b/ is back up.

>> Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:05:37 No.148803503

It just got back up for me as well.

>> Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:05:46 No.148803520

Confirmed, also from dallas!

>> Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:07:35 No.148803759

San Antonio /b/ confirmed

>> Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:09:11 No.148803948

Confirmed from Chicago as well.

>> Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:09:51 No.148804036

Status confirmed /b/ from Michigan.

>> Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:10:38 No.148804122

Bakersfield, CA

/b/ up

>> Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:10:40 No.148804127

ITT: lies

>> Anonymous 07/27/09(Mon)02:12:36 No.148804368

San Diego confirmed


[edit on 27-7-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Oh.. good point. Since there are lots of depraved sites out there, it would just be WRONG to speak about against this one.


Look.. there are lots of sick sites, yup. But guess what.. most are PAY SITES. Sex sells right? Yea, it does. And most sites that offer that sort of thing will charge you. This at least, is a buffer between these sites and your children. And really.. I can't see that any of you do have children. I don't know how you could. When you so flippantly say "oh.. no biggie... they can see it anywhere, it's just censorship!"

It's not. This site can offer enough horrible imagery to scar a kid for life. In a very short time. You are ok with this? Amazing. I am just flabbergasted that anyone would COMPLAIN about an ISP that wants to block an incredibly depraved site through their service. Gah.. what jerks! What nerve, blocking people getting killed in traffic from kids! Clearly they should be stopped!

I'm just floored by some of these responses and posts.



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

anon 4chan is trying to organize
23:33 anon to
23:33 anon make the atnt
23:33 anon stock fall
23:33 anon buy when low
23:33 anon profit from it
23:33 anon and hurt atnt at the same time


[edit on 27-7-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit
 


You keep forgetting that you need to be over 18 to go on the site. If you are not 18, then it is your own fault. Anybody over 18 who is unable to view a picture of gore without having a mental breakdown needs to grow up. If you don't like the site, fine, don't go there, but don't deny others the right to go on there if they so choose.



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit
 


Look everyone is freaked because if 4chan goes, than ATS is probably next.
Why can't you see that?

If you let them take 1 step in the door, they will come all the way in. That I can assure you.

And you talked bad on GTA, which totally ruined any credibility you may have had in the first place.



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Oh.. good point. Since there are lots of depraved sites out there, it would just be WRONG to speak about against this one.


Look.. there are lots of sick sites, yup. But guess what.. most are PAY SITES. Sex sells right? Yea, it does. And most sites that offer that sort of thing will charge you. This at least, is a buffer between these sites and your children. And really.. I can't see that any of you do have children. I don't know how you could. When you so flippantly say "oh.. no biggie... they can see it anywhere, it's just censorship!"


You're attacking a strawman, sir. It's been stated over and over that a good parent would monitor their child's time on the internet. Either you're not reading the posts or you're not responding on purpose to serve your own agenda. If your child is spending enough time on 4chan to scar him or her for life, then YOU, sir, are doing something horribly wrong as a parent. As I've stated, the boards that WOULD do such a think are listed under a category of 18+ boards, and have a warning upon entry, assuming they've never been there before.


Gah.. what jerks! What nerve, blocking people getting killed in traffic from kids! Clearly they should be stopped!

I'm just floored by some of these responses and posts.


You've lost me.



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit
 


1) It's wrong to speak against any one of them, you were the one who spoke against this specific one.
2) Yeah there are pay sites for this stuff, but there is more than plenty of free ones. There's hundreds of chan's for starters. You should know better.
3) That's k-18 board. If your child sees it it's your fault. Simple really, it's your job to do the parenting and not be lazy and hope the world turns into a candy-land-paradise for children.
4) I'm floored by your response. Remember "trolling is a art".



posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by fleabit
 


If you can't stop your children from looking up gore and such then you're doing something very wrong.


You are so naive and ignorant, I can't even begin to describe it.

If you really, truly think that your speeches with John or Jill is going to keep them from visiting these sites, you are truly oblivious to reality. To a child, your saying NO! is their passport to give it a try. If they are at a buds house, and they say "Dude.. check this out! This army guy blows up a puppy!".. do you honestly, seriously think they will say "No, I must go, my dad wouldn't approve of this!"? omg.. you are truly oblivious to reality.

Look.. I am not against things adults like. But the Internet is becoming a hotbed of activity, because of how easy it is for children to access things they shouldn't be. And sites like these are going to be what kills it for everyone.

I am disturbed and sad that so many support this sort of thing so freely.



new topics

top topics



 
81
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join