It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T Reportedly Blocks 4Chan. This Is Going To Get Ugly.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hyzera

Thanks

Doesn't sound like the kind of site i'd be interested in, but it's good to know which ones are safe.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Well, it appears that The Daily Show has taken an interest in the story.

TheDailyShow

edit- fix url

[edit on 7/26/2009 by Hyzera]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

True that's the whole point of it. AT&T just figured where they get the 'worst' response possible and gunned for it. This is a setup if there ever was one.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

A setup for what though? Anonymous isn't known as the "Internet Illuminati" for nothing. The only people AT&T is going to trick with this are the dumbed-down, ill-informed, or under-informed people who don't or rarely use 4chan. The people on 4chan that have the real skills won't budge an inch.

Unless AT&T's actions are meant to be some sort of catalyst for a global internet attack, ushering in the next Internet. I wouldn't put anything past the elite.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hyzera

Has The Daily Show ever even mentioned 4chan on any of its shows? If they covered it, it would not only be a historic moment, but would deal a major blow to AT&T, so I'm not sure if it would be allowed unless it is meant to be allowed.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
As I said before they probably want to be attacked by anon. That would give them a perfect excuse to pass net neutrality or censorship laws.
Should this thread have a *K-18* warning because that's the age limit for /b/ and it has adult content?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Wooooo baby this how things get done. I have confidence the # storm coming for AT&T both in the mainstream and by Anon is going to right this situation and make sure it's never attempted again.

If this goes out on The Daily Show, it's over for AT&T.

link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Thanks for the warning, think i'll take you're advise. I've been looking up some info on 4chan and it doesn't seem as if it's got anything that would be interesting to me.

Besides i kinda need what's left of my soul

link   
Sorry, this site is not blocked, there is a general error server side that affects the availibilty through AT&T.

They could not and would not block this on there own accord, it would be a catostrophic business move and not within the law.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
It seems to me like they're blocking it for the reaction, then they can go cry in the media about the evil 4chan and get whatever netneutrality legistlation or censorship laws passed.

I can't help but think the whole thing is a molehunt ... maybe a dangerous one for ATT , maybe not.
Many probes and tentacles going out and about.
Amazon recently tested reactions to ' banning ' certain antiestablishment books.
Now ATT will help stir up a reaction - provoking nest of hornets.
We will all suffer as we want freedom of speech and expression.

As for urging restraint... doesn't matter- whoever is conducting this OP is fully capable of providing a crime which could inconvenience alot of phone customers... hell- it might even be a matter of national security !

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

4chan.org is not blocked. The subdomain img.4chan.org that hosts the boards /b/ and /r9k/ is blocked.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hyzera

Exactly. If this was the entire site, I could understand, but this is only a sub directory of the site. You have to be specific to block that. Also, it says on Central Gadget that AT&T is “currently blocking portions of the internet site 4chan.org”, which means they are doing it on purpose.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It's late and I gotta go get some sleep.

If anyone wants to take my spot and lurk IRC in order to keep ATS and this thread updated, PM me and I'll give you the link.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
In the spirit of 4chan, what 'tards'.

I hope they know what they are getting themselves into by doing this.

I'm not a supporter of 4chan, nor have ever been a member, but I've seen what they can do to a website or organization they don't like. They destroy them. Slow and painfully.

AT&T are about to become a non-network.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
mailman.nanog.org...

According to this, AT&T may have blocked 4chan's /b/ board due to the DDoS attacks that have been happening on there recently. However, the DDoS attacks have affected all the boards, not just /b/, so I find that to be a lame excuse.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

That's a lame excuse indeed. The ddos attacks occured 11 days ago. Why block 4chan now?

OK OK I'm going to sleep now. For real this time

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I am now having trouble getting into img.4chan.org, which encompasses the /b/ - Random board and the /r9k - ROBOT9000 board.

I'm pretty sure AT&T doesn't know what they're getting themselves into. I bid them an honest good luck in the aftermath of what will happen.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Wow when I was reading this thread, I jumped on 4chan to tell them they were idiots for not choosing comcast, the little "internet explorer stopped working" thing popped up and said to close it. But it didnt, it only closed 4chan and this Thread, but left open the 3 other tabs I had going. I think thats kinda funny seeing that I just installed a fresh version on windows 2 days ago..if im wrong let me know...never had anything like that happen to me b4 and i've been on the internet sence the begining.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
What really though can and would happen to AT&T from anon or 4chan? I'll go out on a limb and say that nothing will happen to AT&T or at least nothing much that will impact them in anyway important. I await the proof.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MuhammadAlBooBoo
Wow when I was reading this thread, I jumped on 4chan to tell them they were idiots for not choosing comcast, the little "internet explorer stopped working" thing popped up and said to close it. But it didnt, it only closed 4chan and this Thread, but left open the 3 other tabs I had going. I think thats kinda funny seeing that I just installed a fresh version on windows 2 days ago..if im wrong let me know...never had anything like that happen to me b4 and i've been on the internet sence the begining.

Your ISP doesn't directly control your browser, so it would have nothing to do with your choice of websites being censored. It was probably one of the many bugs that come with the Internet Explorer software. My advice to you is to download Firefox or Opera.

Originally posted by amazing
What really though can and would happen to AT&T from anon or 4chan? I'll go out on a limb and say that nothing will happen to AT&T or at least nothing much that will impact them in anyway important. I await the proof.

Well, Scientology got a lot of bad press from the Project Chanology protests. Their websites were DDoSed, they were faxed to oblivion, all incoming communication was clogged, and it forced the Church of Scientology into a position where they were producing attack videos, giving out personal information of "anonymous" users of 4chan, and got into a bit of trouble when they ended up giving out the personal information of a minor. Now, Scientology is a household name for being a horrible church to associate yourself with.

The Church of Scientology lost a lot of money during the protests. AT&T has a lot more to lose. I doubt they will be making the same stupid choices as the Church of Scientology.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by Legend]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join