It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Tornado Warning For Queens, NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Wow I just got a text alert that says "The National Weather Service has issued a rare tornado warning for Queens. Seek shelter Immediately!"

I pray for everyone in Queens. Stay safe!

Issued by The National Weather Service
New York City, NY
6:45 pm EDT, Sun., Jul. 26, 2009

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... QUEENS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK... CENTRAL NASSAU COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 715 PM EDT...

* AT 645 PM EDT... NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR FLUSHING... MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... LITTLE NECK... GREAT NECK AND ELMONT BY 655 PM... MANHASSET BY 700 PM... MINEOLA AND GARDEN CITY BY 705 PM... WESTBURY AND BROOKVILLE BY 710 PM... HICKSVILLE BY 715 PM...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT. GET UNDER A WORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. IF NO BASEMENT IS AVAILABLE... SEEK SHELTER ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN AN INTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM SUCH AS A CLOSET. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO COVER YOUR BODY AND ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

IF IN MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES... EVACUATE THEM AND GET INSIDE A SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE... LIE FLAT IN THE NEAREST DITCH OR OTHER LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR HANDS.

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM SUNDAY EVENING FOR SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

&&

www.weather.com... ational&from=national

URGENT -- The National Weather Service has issued a tornado warning for Queens and Nassau County in New York. Seek shelter immediately.
12 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters
twitter.com...

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Kingfanpaul]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
wow that IS a rare event!

I hope for the best for everyone over there. Duck and cover!

Been in 3 of them, myself, they can be immensely wild and scary rides

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
"A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM SUNDAY EVENING FOR SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK. "

We've got that Severe T-Storm Warning going on right now, the CT part. It was so warm today, I'm not surprised. The thunder I've heard so far has been really electrical. Crackling.

Did I ever mention I'm kind of phobic of thunderstorms? I'm keeping the laptop charged so if I have to unplug I can stay on ATS.

Hopefully we won't lose power.

Edit- We've had a few tornado warnings here, and we're about 50 miles from Queens. We have a couple each summer. Every few years one touches down and destroys a fence or a tree. We've had one hit twice in the same spot just up the road, took down a really old oak.

The lightning is the worst though. I hate it. I'm such a baby.

[edit on 7/26/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
News in that its just been canceled! Thank goodness!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Here in Chicago, we get a lot false alarms. Would have to do, with Illinois north of Tornado alley though. Happy for everyone living in Queens, or nearby.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Its a bit of a misconception that tornados will not happen outside tornado alley. With the right conditions severe storms, spawning tornados can happen anywhere. (its also a misconception that they only occur in the USA)

Just keep your eyes peeled for wall clouds with significant rotation at the base

[edit on 26/7/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I am in Western NY and we had two F1 tornadoes touch down between Rochester and Buffalo this weekend. We are still experiencing severe thunderstorms, large hail and high winds. Many funnel clouds were reported throughout the region by numerous people.

Although this type of weather can happen around here it is very rare. This year has to be one of the coolest, rainiest ones we have had. Unfortunately there has been damage but luckily nobody has been hurt.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Its a bit of a misconception that tornados will not happen outside tornado alley. With the right conditions severe storms, spawning tornados can happen anywhere. (its also a misconception that they only occur in the USA)

Just keep your eyes peeled for wall clouds with significant rotation at the base

[edit on 26/7/2009 by OzWeatherman]

No kidding mate! Even though I have witnessed and taken a photograph of a Super Cell spawned Tornado touchdown out in North Platte, NE (By far the most awesome yet frightening of experiences), and although I have experienced a few close calls here in the Washington, D.C. area, the closest I actually came to a roaring twister was in UpState NY. We were driving down the Hudson River Valley when a Twister practically came roaring up the hill side, and we managed to outrun it. I could actually see the rotating Wall Cloud just above the tree tops no more than a 1/4 Mile to my right! We reached our destination, and figured we had managed to completely dodge it, to only face whipping winds, flying flower pots, and the like about 10 minutes later at a friend's house in the Mountains. It missed the House by somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 Mile as well, and it was definitely not a fun experience (It did leave me with stories though lol).

BTW, talking about Non-USA Tornado incidents, did you catch that one in Russia? That was quite a surprise for me. As a matter of fact, here is the footage of it:

LiveLeak: Russian Tornado.

[edit on 7-26-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Im in central NJ, took the kids 20 miles north to visit my parents for the day, came home around 7. When I entered my town there were trees strewn all over the streets, power lines down, streets closed. I had never seen anything like this in this area of the country before. My neighberhood, had uprooted trees everywhere. Only 20 miles north at my parents house, we had light rain. I asked my neighbor, he said the storm lasted only for about 5 minutes!! Still thundering and lightening out!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I have been watching this thread and am happy to see the warning has ended, it is never a good thing to hear "Take Shelter Now."

It can be especially stressful for those not accustomed to these types of alerts.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
So no one was hurt, alert is over, sun will be shining again tomorrow. Wasn't meant for a tornado to touch down in Queens tonight.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The weather was so weird through all of this. I live in downtown Manhattan and I have to say it was the oddest thing looking out my window and seeing this whitewash of rain outside. I literally could not even see further than a few feet infront of the window because of all of the rain. It lasted for about 20 minutes I would say, slowly building up about 30 minutes before that, until the Sun came out literally within a matter of 2 minutes. Imagine pouring rain, dying down for a minute and a half, and the Sun instantly coming out afterwards.

Just further increases my suspicion in possible government weather control/modification devices...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by 6StringSkeptic
Just further increases my suspicion in possible government weather control/modification devices...

Yeah of course.....bad weather never happens

But if it does, it must be weather manipulation

Its natural my friend, theseweather events happen, just not very often.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I live in southwest CT..im about an huor northeast of JFK airport. Yesterday, (sunday) i was at work..it was SO humid you could literally feel the pressure and water in the air! LIke something was DEF coming.SO! Around 5 30 pm i stepped out for a smoke. Started raining hard! In fact, an employee pointed out..in back of the store it was raining hard..about 60 feet in front fo store thier was NO rain! Reminded me of when i got my liscense to drive.1992. Around may,june, drivnig downtown, we had one of these storms. Itw as pouring cats n dogs..i was at red light, went out onto main street and the sun was out and dry lol. Damdest thing i ever drove through.
We had a suspected tornado here, in southwest CT back i 1992. September. I was at work, and saw disgusting black n gray mamtus looking clouds swallow up the west sky, near sunset. I had gone in lunch, and about 45 mintues later, came back..and thier was such a ruckus! I looked outside at parking lot...theri was paper all over the place, and the wind ro suspected tornado, threw a van 30 fet across parking lot right into a bank window! I missed the hole thing.
Anyhoo..driving home from work last night, thier was very close purpke and violet lightning. I started to feel static around me, and i know tha means yuor supopsed to get in a featl position. I just got in my car n drove home.

top topics

join