It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 Irish priests 'having regular sex with women

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
So what exactly is the point of this thread?

They are having "regular sex" with women. How does this fit into your regular anti catholic threads? Are you mad they are having sex with women or do you just like picking at something you don't even believe in?

It's a conspiracy in religion is it not? Have they not taken vows not to have sex with women or have i missed something here i thought they had taken a vow of celibacy???

Also if it is against the teachings of their Church to have sex with women why are they not defrocked? I thought the vow of celibacy was one of the main laws of becomming a priest?

Whats your point? are you stupid and could not grasp the point of the thread? If you had taken time to read the other posters replies it has started a debate whether to let them marry or not as they obviously cant live up to their oath!

[edit on 27-7-2009 by orangeman dave]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by orangeman dave

Its not really a conspiracy any longer. Not since hundreds have been accused and found guilty of having sex with young boys. If they are having sex with young boys then it is probably safe to assume that others are having sex with women.

Guess I really can't complain though, atleast you didn't go on a three page rant this time.

edit to add.

Don't call me stupid, stupid.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by jd140]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Well have you got anything to say on the topic at hand like should they marry, or why take a vow or were you just posting to bash me?

You must be stupid, stupid if you cant grasp the thread at hand!

[edit on 27-7-2009 by orangeman dave]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Having sex with women? Well that's a big improvement over the usual stories we see about sex cases involving the clergy.

The isea of the catholic clergy especially not being able to marry etc are just ridiculous anyway. Why can't they have normal family lives? It might help them to understand the problems of others better.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangeman dave
Well have you got anything to say on the topic at hand like should they marry, or why take a vow or were you just posting to bash me?

Mainly to bash you.

I really don't care what they do as long as it is within the law of whatever country they live in. The church will deal with them as they see fit. If they choose to deflock them, then that is fine. If they choose to change the criteria priests must meet, then that is fine also.

I certainly won't bash them for partaking in an event I myself enjoy greatly. That would be hypacritical of me.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Your doing a great job of bashing keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Anti crimes against humanity if you care to read my posts are quotes from articles explaining what's going on so if you think they are anti-catholic take that up with the newspapers, officials and Catholics that are speaking out.

What a fool you are anyone that posts about abuse and states facts gets called anti catholic, Will i just stop posting these heinous crimes to suit you you must have a hidden agenda your Church taking a bashing or what??

Well, let's break this down, shall we?

1) I have no idea what an anti crime is.

2) The fact that you are regurgitating info found elsewhere does not make you any less anti-Catholic.

3) If you aren't prepared to actually put in the effort, then your calling me a 'fool' is baseless and childish. Feel free to go back and see how many times I have called someone anti-Catholic. Compare that to the amount of posts that discuss the Catholic Church or it's history. How often have I defended the actions of the Church? Can you offer us a number? And how does that compare to the amount of posts that are critical of the Church?

4) Your last sentence/question is barely decipherable. I'm assuming that you are saying that I shouldn't criticize someone who is a monomaniacal bigot? Would that be accurate? I have no hidden agenda, but that is a convenient canard to whip out whenever someone points out your OCD tendencies when it comes to the Catholic Church.

Eric

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by CookieMonster09
Can anyone tell me what the supposed reason is for a celibate priesthood? I understand the concept of the Church wanting to gain the priest's property at the time of their death, but is there any other reason?

If I may jump into this love fest, I'll answer at least this one.

Code of Canon Law

Can. 277 §1. Clerics are obliged to observe perfect and perpetual continence for the sake of the kingdom of heaven and therefore are bound to celibacy which is a special gift of God by which sacred ministers can adhere more easily to Christ with an undivided heart and are able to dedicate themselves more freely to the service of God and humanity.

Actually you need to make a distinction between chastity, celibacy and continence. Priests take a vow to not get married. Since sex outside marriage is already a sin, they don't need to take a separate priestly vow of chastity or continence.

Celibate means not married.
Chastity refers to conformance with sexual morality.
Continence means no sex.

So the vow of celibacy (refraining from marriage) implies continence.

The proposed logic is that a priest shouldn't divide his attention between his pastoral duties and a family of his own.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster09
Can anyone tell me what the supposed reason is for a celibate priesthood?

Scripture. read here

Paul’s conclusion: He who marries "does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better" (7:38).

Paul was not the first apostle to conclude that celibacy is, in some sense, "better" than marriage. After Jesus’ teaching in Matthew 19 on divorce and remarriage, the disciples exclaimed, "If such is the case between a man and his wife, it is better not to marry" (Matt 19:10). This remark prompted Jesus’ teaching on the value of celibacy "for the sake of the kingdom":

"Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom it is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of God. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it" (Matt. 19:11–12).

Originally posted by EricD
Orangeman Dave is the sort of anti-Catholic who would go crazy trying to decide who to root against if the Cardinals played the Padres in the World Series.

OMG that was funny!

What a fool you are anyone that posts about abuse and states facts gets called anti catholic,

Buddy .. your SIGNATURE says it all. You ADVERTISE being anti-Catholic.
Ever think about the innocent Catholics who were slaughtered by the Protestants?
Didn't think so.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by orangeman dave

500 Irish priests 'having regular sex with women

Well, all things being equal, that's a far preferable thing than priests having sex with adolescent boys, no?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
In my town, some years ago, the priest had more than a dozen sex affairs.
His agenda had been found... and in that year there had been a dozen divorces.

The church forgot very fast his small sidestep as there is a shortage of priests...

In my parents town, in another country, the last two priest left the town with a woman and their priesthood (is that the right word?) . People where very upset.

And I know a lot of other such stories... eg. a good friend told me that he saw his teacher (a priest) reading pl*yb*y magazines at school.

Priest as the pope himself should get married to know what they are preaching.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This is a disturbing trend if it is true? However, I have some Irish Catholic lineage and I know this revelation won't strain the relationship between the Irish and the Catholic Church. I am somewhat relieved that this story isn't another child abuse scandal by priests.

Moreover, I am not in agreement of what some priests have done while wearing the cloth and affirming to a vow of celibacy to the Almighty. They are hypocrites and if I were still a practicing Catholic, and found out that my priest was a womanizer; I would find another parish. If I were to continue services under their orchestration I would be indirectly supporting their misbehavior and sin. On top of that, I would write the bishop and demand that the priest be removed from services as quickly as possible. These priests need to be defrocked and separated from the church if found guilty of misconduct while serving their parishes.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join