It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparent metal hints at nature of planets' cores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Transparent aluminium, a sci-fi material brought to 20th century Earth by the crew of The Enterprise in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, turns out to exist after all - if you see in X-rays.

To create this exotic state of matter, researchers at the FLASH facility in Hamburg, Germany, took a thin piece of aluminium foil and blasted it with an X-ray laser that can generate about 10 million gigawatts of power per square centimetre.

New Scientist Article

Once again sci-fi ideas become fact, I find i amazing how so many do!

What i find really interesting about this discovery is the fact it marks the discovery of a new state, yet its still just as dense as regular solid matter all around us but as the article states its very hot and only around for a fraction of a nano second, before "exploding". I hope we will hear more about this in the near future. Hopefully like they intend to do with the study, we will unlock more understanding of the other planets that exist around us and their fundamental properties beneath the surface of them.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Transparent Aluminum (Aluminum Oxide) has been around for awhile. And a variation of it (Corundum Aluminum Oxide) is the second hardest substance known to man.

The problem is that it is made of a somewhat "rare" earth material. How rare, I couldn't tell ya. But what if it could be synthesized? But Wait:

Scientists in the US have developed a novel technique to make bulk quantities of glass from alumina for the first time. ...

Here's a link to this more recent article:

Glass Breakthrough

And here's a pic of the Corundum Aluminum Oxide (usually "Ruby" or redish in color:

Corundum Aluminum Oxide

Here's another article from The Harrow Group:

The Harrow Technology Report for August 12, 2002

Personally, I can't wait to see the multitude of application this could imply - let alone holding two Humpback Whales captive for a trip through time.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

Here's one nobody probably heard of...

International Team Discovers Transparent Metal
March 16 2009
www.azom.com...

However, as the researchers found, element sodium does just the opposite. A perfect white metal at atmospheric pressure, on increasing pressure sodium first turns black, then (at the pressure of 2 million atmospheres) red transparent, and eventually becomes a colorless transparent material – just like glass.

new topics

join