It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution machine speeds up search...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Evolution machine speeds up search for better bugs

A new genome engineering machine that tweaks dozens of genes to create billions of unique strains...

"This technique allows us to do some amount of rapid evolution," says Harris Wang, a researcher at Harvard Medical School,

www.newscientist.com...

The American chemicals firm DuPont, for instance, spent nearly seven years and hundreds of millions of dollars to identify 20 genetic changes that optimise microbes to produce a chemical used as a commercial solvent called 1,3-propanediol, Isaacs and Wang say.

By contrast, the new approach, which is called multiplex automated genome engineering or MAGE, can create hundreds or thousands of mutations in a few days at a cost of a few thousand dollars.

Currently, the researchers are teaming up with biofuels and chemical manufacturers in hopes of creating blockbuster strains in the lab that could eventually be used on an industrial scale.

[edit on 26/7/2009 by Daniem]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Great news. Not. I won't shoot the messenger. Are you just presenting this to ponder or did you have some other thoughts on it? does it worry you? Do you think they can keep the use of this pointed in the direction of benefit to humanity, or will it be corrupted to make it easier to wipe out a group of people based on their genetics? What do you think are some of the implications of this?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

i usually just think "ah this is just great" when i read news. Sometimes it realy is great and sometimes it is the opposite.. but rearly is it given much more thought than that.
Same goes for this. (guess i just dont care anymore)

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Why dont scientists try to reverse engineer the DNA instead of mapping it.
There has to be some sort of algorithm or code to the way its put together.
So if they could figure that out, it would allow them to "build" anything they wanted.

Maybe this is just a crazy idea.

new topics

top topics

join