It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lennon, Nixon, Chapman and the CIA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
John Lennon

There has never been any mystery as to who fired four bullets into John Lennon’s back, outside the Dakota apartment building in New York City, on December 8, 1980. Indeed, as the former Beatle and prominent anti-war activist lay dying in the arms of his wife Yoko Ono, the man with the revolver, Mark David Chapman, relaxed his military-style shooting stance, and instead of fleeing, began to read The Catcher in the Rye. A witness asked him if he knew what he’d done. “I just shot John Lennon”, Chapman replied, having flown in from Hawaii, with the revolver, to do just that.

A few months later, Chapman, officially deemed to be a “deranged fan” with the catch-all loser motive of “wanting attention”, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to twenty years to life. Lennon appeared to be slain by a lone nut.

But was he?

It was strange of Chapman suddenly to pled guilty, after lawyers had spent six months preparing his defence. He did so, he said, on orders from a “voice” he heard in his cell. A psychiatrist for the defence, Dr Bernard Diamond, who coincidentally had also testified on behalf of Robert Kennedy’s assassin Sirhan Bahira Sirhan, called Chapman a “paranoid schizophrenic”.

Nonetheless, Chapman was deemed rational enough to stand trial, and was sent not to a mental institution but to a normal jail. One detective commented that there was something vacant or “programmed” about Chapman on the day of the killing, adding that Chapman “did not want to talk to the press from the very start”, which cast doubt on Chapman’s supposed craving for attention.

Chapman has since agreed to just one press interview (with James Gaimes of People magazine), in which he said: “He [Lennon] walked past me and then I heard in my head, ‘do it, do it, do it’, over and over again … I don’t remember aiming” – and that he felt “no emotion, no anger”.

Its also puzzling why Chapman made no attempt to escape. With a couple of bullets left, several credit cards and $2000 in cash, he could have got a long way. In any case, where did he get the money? And where did an untrained civilian learn to shoot like that?

Lennon, Nixon, Chapman and the CIA

One theory, proposed by author Fenton Bresler in Who Killed John Lennon? And supported by radio journalist Mae Brussell, suggests that Chapman’s madness was the result of being a brainwashed CIA assassin, who was programmed to kill Lennon by right-wing elements within the US government. They argue that Chapman, while working for World Vision as a children’s counsellor in refugee camps from Laos to Beiruit, fell into the clutches of just the sort of covert operatives you’d expect to find in such war zones – the CIA.

Chapman’s sojourn in Beiruit coincided with the presence of CIA assassination squads and, in 1976, he appeared in Hawaii, a centre for CIA and Special Forces operatives, where mental ill-health and hospitalization caused him to drift from job to job. Somewhere along the way, its speculated that the CIA hypnotised and drugged Chapman under their MK-ULTRA programme, and brainwashed him into killing Lennon.
Although Chapman was certifiable, no paperwork prevented him from buying a gun, and there was no metal detector to stop him from taking it to the mainland. Somehow, this indolent lunatic had the funds in October 1980 to travel to Switzerland and Georgia, and from Hawaii to New York and back, on what was perhaps an aborted killer-run, in which he managed to resist the “master inside himself”. In December, however, he succumbed, and killed Lennon.

So why would the government want a hippy singer like Lennon dead? Because John Lennon was much more than that. He was an outspoken activist, demonstrating against the Vietnam War, marching for the IRA and CND and supporting striking ship builders. During the 1970s, John and Yoko supported radicals like jailed White Panther John Sinclair, and anti-establishment Yippies and planned a series of anti-war concerts across the US.

To President Nixon’s right-wing administration, anti-war meant anti-them. And Lennon, allegedly able to “draw out one million anti-war protesters in any given city in 24 hours”, seriously threatened their ability to mobilize for war. FBI boss J. Edgar Hoover wrote on Lennon’s file “ALL EXTREMISTS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED DANGEROUS.” Agents tapped Lennon’s phone and stalked him everywhere. Right-wing senator Strom Thurmond urged that Lennon’s 1968 marijuana conviction in the UK – a set-up in itself – should be used to stop his immigration to the US. Later, Senator Frank Church’s committee hearings outlined the dangers of the anti-war “new Left”, and cited Lennon as a prominent member.

Lennon remarked in 1972 that “if anything happens to Yoko and me, it was not an accident”. As the continual threat of deportation, and harassment by the FBI, strained Lennon’s career and marriage, the birth of his son Sean in 1975 pushed the Lennon’s into seclusion. However, Lennon then got his green card and, after 1976, his 300-page FBI file was left to gather dust. The fact that he was keeping quiet may have kept everybody off his case, or perhaps it was simply becase Nixon had left office in 1974, and the Republicans were dumped in 1976.

In 1980, Lennon’s career was relaunched by the release of the Double Fantasy album, and the Republicans returned to the White House, when Ronald Reagan won the Presidency on the back of future CIA chief William Casey’s election campaign. Their plan to square up to the USSR, flood the Pentagon’s coffers and kick off numerous covert operations in Central America wouldn’t have been popular with the rabble-rousing like of Lennon. At the time, Mae Brussell said “the old assassination teams are coming back into power”. The very next day, the drugged-up Chapman cut Lennon down.

Spooky Lyrics

According to a spokesman for Lennon’s record label Parlophone, certain of Lennon’s songs contained “spooky” clues that predicted his death.
Some read significance into the US release of The Beatles’ Magical Mystery Tour, which showed a picture of Lennon next to a sign that read “The best way to go is by MD & C – Chapman’s initials.

Continued......

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Still Believing

Brussel and Bresler’s story is a fantastic concatenation of events and themes. Bresler obtained his information on Nixon and the FBI’s pursuit of Lennon through the Freedom of Information Act, but as no files on Chapman have surfaced, Bresler himself acknowledges that his theories are speculative.

Whether or not they buy Bresler’s version, Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon have armed minders to this day. Sean told the New Yorker in April 1998: “He [Lennon] was dangerous to the government. If he had said, ‘Bomb the White House tomorrow’, there would have been ten thousand people who would have done it. These pacifist revolutionaries are historically killed by the government.”

- James McConnachie & Robin Tudge

Sources

Books:

Fenton Bresler- Who Killed John Lennon? (1989)

Jack Jones- Let me take you down: Inside the mind of Mark David Chapman, the man who killed John Lennon (1992)

Films;

Andrew Piddington- The Killing Of John Lennon (2006)

"Laurel and Hardy, that's John and Yoko. And we stand a better chance under that guise because all the serious people like Martin Luther King and Kennedy and Gandhi got shot." -- John Lennon

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it. -John Lennon

"Listen, if anything happens to Yoko and me, it was not an accident." -- John Lennon

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
A truly excellent thread and worthy of all the stars and flags ATS can muster.

The hippie movement of the late 1960’s and early 1970’s in my humble opinion had a much larger impact on the Corporate Government than has ever really been detailed or investigated.

Nixon as well as the establishment knew and feared that such large numbers of people gathered in places like the Washington Mall across the street from the White House could have easily stormed the White House and the Capitol Building and affected a real revolution.

If you actually look back it was at that same precise point in time the campaign to crush labor unions and export lucrative manufacturing jobs began in earnest.

Today’s teenagers and young adults no longer have the freedom of affluent blue collar and white collar parents earning a living wage to finance their travels and meanderings and most adult Americans including the aging hippies are so fixated on just simply eking out sustenance day to day that they practically can not take an active part in politics from truly paying attention to what’s going on to taking the time and cost to speak out against it in organized ways let alone challenge it.

I do believe the U.S. Government was behind the death of Lennon and that they genuinely feared the man and the counter culture and the citizens as a whole and that as you look around at the state of the Union it is in this state because of that fear.

Thanks for sharing a truly great post.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Well thank you for that well thought out answer.

I agree with everything you say.

Those days of "Power to the People" are long dead and gone and i think its a shame. Looking back, the hippie movement was so much more than just a rabble of pot smoking free loaders that today we are led to believe. They symbolized freedom and power. After all they were feared so much by the government that one of the movements leading figures (Lennon) was probably killed because of it.

Many people ask the question: "Why would the government want Lennon dead?"
Those same people may as well also ask: "Why would the government want Martin Luther King dead?"
They are very similar cases. Individuals, outside the government, with TOO MUCH POWER.

Thanks again

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

The Corporate Government governs through the skillful use of increasingly sophisticated forms of propaganda aimed at overlooking and obscuring the fact that the Government has not governed within the confines of the Constitution and on the principals and tenants of the founding fathers in many decades.

The hippie message of tune in and drop out, in many ways was tune out the propaganda and drop out of the rigidly brainwashed thinking that not only enslaves the individual to a form of cloning but empowers the Corporate Government to act illegally and unconstitutionally in the vacuum caused by lack of intelligent scrutiny and questioning.

Most individuals who can think and speak outside of the box are for the most part rejected by their far better conditioned and indoctrinated peers. Their messages fall mostly on deaf and unbelieving dismissive ears and in a way such people actually make the Corporate Government point of view seem more valid, saner and reassuring. The government isn’t threatened by such people but in fact enjoys that some people fit into that ‘crazy’ and ‘misfit’ category, which only serves to encourage others not to be ‘crazy’ or a ‘misfit’.

Then comes along someone like John Lennon whose celebrity and artistry and masterfulness allows him to spread his message to countless millions and far and wide. He is considered by those people who identify with the base truths in it to be prophetic, hip and cool, insightful, wise, honest and just and prompts deep self introspective thought and contemplation within the individuals who are tuning in to his message and in tune with it.

Houston we now have a problem.

Speaking out honestly and with intelligence and common sense and wisdom absolutely will not get you killed.

Speaking out honestly and with intelligence and common sense and wisdom in a way and manner and fashion that the people you are speaking to see you as honest, intelligent and having common sense and wisdom will get you killed!

John Lennon is proof positive of a very old common sense adage, the difference between insanity and genius is success!

Lennon proved to be just as successful at winning hearts and minds as the corporate government is and that is a very deadly talent to have.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
A truly excellent thread.

I very rarely post but this topic is one that has concerned me since the moment of the assassination.

I have always believed that Lennon was assassinated at the behest of the rogue CIA element, headed by George HW Bush.
Bush had been the CIA director until President Carter fired him.
Within a month of the election of the Reagan/Bush ticket to the White House, Lennon had been taken out.

Lennon was the ONE anti-military-industrial-complex figure who had the potential to be the focus for a serious, effective protest against the plans of the Reagan administration to ramp up military spending in the eighties.

While Lennon's influence and opinions were, in themselves, sufficient reason for the Right-Wing/GHW Bush/rogue-CIA elements to want him liquidated, I also believe that there was an even bigger dimension to the December 8 slaying ; it was a dress-rehearsal for the assassination attempt on President Reagan.

Within three months of Lennon's murder, Reagan was fighting for his life after another apparent "lone-nut" assassination attempt while Bush waited in the wings to assume the presidency.

Reagan was an archetypal Useful Idiot - his popular appeal was the polar opposite of Bush's cold, un-electability. Reagan was merely a Trojan Horse inside which Bush could be smuggled into the Oval Office, nothing more.
He wasn't considered to be of any use once that mission had been accomplished but, as it turned out, he became even more of an asset when he returned, seriously debilitated, to assume his responsibilities.
Having next to no grasp of detail and being intellectually out of his depth in the company of the Bush faction, he nevertheless became an invaluable heat-shield for Bush's various illegal operations such as the Iran-Contra affair.
After nearly eight years of pulling Reagan's strings, Bush had consolidated his own position to such an extent that he was even able to win one election himself after an entire career of having been rejected at the polls.

Of great significance in the shootings of both Lennon and Reagan is the sinister shadow of World Vision.
As mentioned in the OP, the connections of World Vision to CIA assassination squads are already well established.
Likewise, the public record shows indisputable links between World Vision and Chapman.

There is no possibility that it is merely an unfortunate coincidence that World Vision's director, John Hinckley Snr., was one of the prime architects of Bush's run for the 1980 Republican presidential nomination. Hinckley Snr also made the maximum possible financial contribution to Bush's campaign.

It was, of course, Hinckley's own son, John Hinckley Jnr, who was fingered for the attempted murder of Reagan.

The question of whether or not John Lennon was murdered by rogue elements of the Right-wing political establishment in the USA could not be simpler.
Of course he was.
It's beyond any reasonable doubt.

The questions that remain are about the details of the contributions of the criminals who authorised and executed the plan.

Not "if", but Who? How? and When?

Nearly thirty years on, an entire generation has grown up which has next to no sense of the influence that a figure like Lennon could have on the political agenda. There is absolutely no contemporary equivalent.

This is a first-class thread which should be getting a great deal more attention and consideration than it has so far received.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by manatthewindow]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Great topic,OP S&F for you!
Lennon would have made it next to impossible for the Regan administration to do what they wanted to do in Central America and elsewhere.At that point in time the CIA and the military/industrial complex had enough of the protesting of the 60's and early 70's and when it became clear that Lennon was reemerging around the same time as Regan was coming into power he had to be stopped.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Thank you, OP, and all who have replied to this thread. It has done my heart good to finally find agreement after all the arguments I've had with friends and family regarding this subject.

Some were oblivious to the message and can't believe that "our government" would bother with a rock star. Most fall into the group sadly described perfectly by manatthewindow:

Nearly thirty years on, an entire generation has grown up which has next to no sense of the influence that a figure like Lennon could have on the political agenda. There is absolutely no contemporary equivalent.

Too few, also, have the insight of ProtoplasmicTraveler as he observes:

Then comes along someone like John Lennon whose celebrity and artistry and masterfulness allows him to spread his message to countless millions and far and wide. He is considered by those people who identify with the base truths in it to be prophetic, hip and cool, insightful, wise, honest and just and prompts deep self introspective thought and contemplation within the individuals who are tuning in to his message and in tune with it.

John Lennon was worthy of these comments, and these comments are worth repeating.

Thanks and Stars to all.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Great thread!

I often don't put too much stock into conspiracies even though I find them interesting, but to me the assassinations of John Lennon and also Martin Luther King to me seem very suspicious and I feel there is more we have yet to find out.

I'm going to try and check out the film you sourced too.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
and then bush one programs his little brood..jeb takes up position in florida
marvin goes to security at the twin towers.. he has cheney handle dubya..
and now we are totally screwed. obama does what he's told..or else.
So now its the new world order bush one heralded..pretty crafty i must admit.
diabolical..

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Great thread!

I often don't put too much stock into conspiracies even though I find them interesting, but to me the assassinations of John Lennon and also Martin Luther King to me seem very suspicious and I feel there is more we have yet to find out.

I'm going to try and check out the film you sourced too.

While you're at it, check out Larry Flynt and his expose' of the CIA during the '70's, continuing (at least) up until his shooting.

The back issues are out of my budget; but those issues are filled with CIA assassination tactics, population control strategy (think Southeast Asia, Central America) and all properly documented in those pages.

When you see Larry draped in the American Flag, understand that above all; he is a patriot.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

A very interesting look into Lennon, Nixon, and Chapman.

I have never believed the official story because it rings false.

This due to understanding the complexities of MK-ULTRA at any early age, as well as how and why those "lone nut" types are picked out.

I have heard many references over the decades to Chapman being MK-ULTRA.

The question is whether he was C.I.A. controlled or not of course.

Recently I had a discussion, offline, where I referenced Yoko Ono as a potential Soviet plant, to divide the Beatles, and act as a controller, or handler if you will, of John Lennon, due to Yoko Ono's being oriental, both of Lennon and her proclivities towards smoking marijuana, and as well their peaceful protests of the Vietnam War, and a direct opposition to warfare.

Many things are there to be seen about Yoko Ono if one looks deep enough.

While my friend did not agree with me there is little doubt in my mind I was on to something, because protesting Vietnam was something the American Government absolutely despised, and as well Lennon having surveillence done against him by none other than the F.B.I. makes him a target.

Deniability.

That is one of the overwhelming and abstract points of why an assassin, like Chapman, would be controlled via a project as dark and malevolent as the once accepted MK-ULTRA, not that it was ever truly unaccepted.

Once something is shut down, on paper, this merely means it goes deeper.

Outsourced to civilians and slush funds are used to deny access to Congress.

The legality of it is of course a moral imperative to the very heart of our nation.

While I understand Russia and as well China had competing programs, one only needs to think of the oft phrased "If your friends told you to jump off a bridge" parental commentary towards insane and absurd behvaior as a teenager to ask why America would do something so foul.

The Medusa File : Secret Crimes and Coverups of the U. S. Government

The above books goes into depth about Manchuria, China, and about how things progressed throughout the ending of WWII, and the evolution of the MK-ULTRA program.

Rifle Warrior Website : Craig Roberts

Not sure if you know who Craig Roberts is but he leads compelling arguments about J.F.K., Government secrets, and as well he's former Law Enforcement (sniper) and former Military.

I have never read Catcher in the Rye but I know it is a reference to wandering.

That's the Catcher

I had a friend offer to loan a copy of it to me but I never got around to reading it.

I am an avid book reader too but all of the other books I was reading at the time seemed much more interesting, compelling, and as well, educational.

And lost it in the subsequent move when I was evicted.

Guess my friend will not be getting that back anytime soon now will he?

I understand enough just from the reference to the book though through having read on every "lone nut" and the MK-ULTRA program though as it is a control mechanism.

With book purchases and libraries having scanners documenting what is checked out, one would see this as an easy means, or covert surveillance and tracking.

Let the puppet run loose until needed.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

new topics

top topics

join