It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Launches Nuclear Submarine: To blunt Chinese naval presence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Iran Launches Nuclear Submarine: To blunt Chinese naval presence

news.bbc.co.uk

Our correspondent says the launching of the Arihant is a clear sign that India is looking to blunt the threat from China which has a major naval presence in the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting, not only because India will be one of the few countries to have a nuclear submarine, but because this high lights tensions between India and China, the two stars and most populous developing countries. I have always said that the U.S. should become more close to India to impede Chinese influence. It seems India is uncomfortable with Chinese power growing just as the U.S. is. Russia is too, but they would rather make money off of them before worrying about it...It is sadly ironic how we all compete with new technology, etc. when we have suffering people in our countries. But then again, military competition leads to new technological advancements.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
India just wants to build up their military arsenal,big scary China gives them the excuse to do that.When in actual fact i wouldn't be surprised in the coming years if India joins the SCO...imo anyway.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

I agree with your statement that the United States should align with India to blunt the inroads made by China in East Asia. China is setting out to achieve naval supremacy in that part of world which the US has held since the end of World War II.

They are a threat that shouldn't be taken lightly. It's a good thing India is standing up to them with the deployment of their new nuclear submarine. Lets not forget China is still communist and that is a clear distinction from western political thought. That belief system should alone make them a threat. All it will take for China to go back to its hard-line past is a new Premier taking over with staunch anti-capitalist bent.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

China is NOT a communist country and hasn't been for some time now,they are a capitalist country run by a totalitarian government.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by Jakes51

China is NOT a communist country and hasn't been for some time now,they are a capitalist country run by a totalitarian government.

Then why is the communist party still on control?

[edit on 26-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Totalitarian government...Look at their economy and tell me they are not capitalist.Most of their growth for decades has been through capitalism.Just because you call something communist hardly means it is if does not follow the communist ideology.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

That's correct. They started down the road of privatisation around 1980 and this graph shows their economic growth since then. It's extraordinary.

Since 1979, China began to make major reforms to its economy. The Chinese leadership adopted a pragmatic perspective on many political and socioeconomic problems, and sharply reduced the role of ideology in economic policy. Political and social stability, economic productivity, and public and consumer welfare were considered paramount and indivisible.

In the 1980s, China tried to combine central planning with market-oriented reforms to increase productivity, living standards, and technological quality without exacerbating inflation, unemployment, and budget deficits. Reforms began in the agricultural, industrial, fiscal, financial, banking, price setting, and labor systems.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

reply to post by Jakes51

Then why is the communist party still on control?

[edit on 26-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

Star for you and at least someone else sees though China's smoking mirrors. They are still Communist and like HunkaHunka said there is a one party system in China and that is the communist party. You can't change a zebra's stripes.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If you call a turd a chocolate sunday, it's still a turd. I don't think there has been a single truly communist nation since the term was coined.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

reply to post by HunkaHunka

Totalitarian government...Look at their economy and tell me they are not capitalist.Most of their growth for decades has been through capitalism.Just because you call something communist hardly means it is if does not follow the communist ideology.

I'm in agreement with you that they are a Totalitarian regime but they are also communists. Their very foundation is communist. For instance, speak out against the communist party and you will be sent to jail or worse, killed. All roads lead to the communist party in China. An independent businessman cannot do business in China if he is not a member of the party or has affiliation with party members. To put it simply, they are a bunch of red belly communist who caught the greed bug.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
We got a little off track with this one.... China is BIG. They have a history, as so many nations do, of being aggressive, oppressive and downright mean.

I think India is right to at least APPEAR as though they are doing something to make China think twice about absorbing India into the fold.

I don't know that ONE sub is going to do it. Nuclear subs can be sunk just like any other.

If China starts marching, I don't think they can be stopped.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Im sorry,but they are not communist...China have been rabid capitalists these past decades..so how can they be communists? Above poster is right...this is about an Indian nuclear submarine,sorry for off topic

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I disagree, China is run by the communist party!

Today, mainland China is administered by the People's Republic of China—a one-party state under the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party—while the island of Taiwan and surrounding islands are administered by the Republic of China—a democratic multi-party state. After the founding of the People's Republic in 1949, both states claimed to be the sole legitimate ruler of all of "China". After the Kuomintang retreat to Taiwan in 1949, the Republic of China had maintained official diplomatic relations with most states around the world, but by the 1970s, a shift had occurred in international diplomatic circles and the People's Republic of China gained the upper hand in international diplomatic relations and recognition count. In 1971, under resolution 2758, the representatives of Chiang Kai-shek to the United Nations were expelled from the intergovernmental organization. With the expulsion of the Chiang Kai-shek's representatives, and effectively the Republic of China, the representatives of the People's Republic of China were invited to assume China's seat on the UN Security Council, the UN General Assembly and other United Nations councils and agencies. Later attempts by the Republic of China to rejoin the UN have either been blocked by the People's Republic of China, which has veto power on the UN Security Council, or rejected by the United Nations Secretariat or a United Nations General Assembly committee responsible for the General Assembly's agenda.[24]

Although inyour opinon China is not a communist state, the proof is there that china is actually a communist state.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Like i have already said...just because they are called the communist party means moot if they do not adhere to communist doctrine..There are many many books out there you should read regarding china.Not to sound arrogant but i know for a fact they are not communist.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Does not matter, unless there has been a name changed, China is ruled by a communist party. Which stillmakes china a Communist country.

Until that changes, ie, power changes. It will always be classed as one.

Can I ask something, Why has the OP, Put India, then Changed the 2nd title to Iran???

Typo maybe?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Eh? does that mean the uk is a labour country? that makes no sense...we are talking about the political and economic structure.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Eh? Then why do most of the worlds governements, plus the UN still recognize China as a communist state?

Unless there has been a Military Cue. And china has not bothered to tell ANYONE

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Why do countries refer to America as a democracy when its a republic? anyway im going to shut up,the OP will be annoyed that i've completely derailed his thread

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

, at least we have opinions, we could open a separate topic, and have a civil discussion

Yes? or No?

You did not answer my question either foo shoo on you

top topics

<<   2 >>

join