It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3,000 Low Temp Records Set This July!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It has been much cooler and wetter in Chicago than normal for this time of year. It seems like we're stuck in spring, garden's not doin to good this year, but we still have plenty of mosquitos.

I think it's just because of El Nino though.

•Summers tend to be slightly cooler and wetter than average

I really don't miss the intense heat and terrible humidy that we usually have by now, but i have to say that i would like it to be a little warmer and less wet.

I will welcome the effects on our winter weather though, i've had more than enough snow and cold the last couple winters it's time for a break.

•Winters tend to be warmer and drier

www.isws.uiuc.edu...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by abefrohman
That is absolutely wrong. In fact it's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Dumbness is in the eye of the beholder.

When we get more heat from the sun we get hotter. When we receive less we get cooler.

OMG I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!! THANKS!

And when the heat source is eliminated only bitter cold remains. That is true here and everywhere else in the universe.

So "HOT" will never, "win over cold."

You are arguing about what?! Are you trying to say the Sun will disappear? As far as science has told us, the Sun will only be getting hotter and smaller, than BAM, it will grow larger.

Did someone forget to tell you that Earth is the 3rd planet from the Sun?

When the climate's pendulum swings to the hot side, the heat will destroy all ice, and when you destroy the ice, more light is absorbed into the water making it warmer (usually white ice reflects light back up). Not only that but heat will raise the pressure in our atmosphere, and then we will never see liquid water again, let alone ice. The only reason we have liquid water is because of the pressure of our atmosphere, changing the pressure means all water will evaporate. Less water means dryer, hotter air, and land.

Did you know that at a certain heat, water can't exist? If this planet gets too hot, it will never get cold again.

Don't you realize that being so close to the Sun HEAT WILL WIN OVER COLD? It's far more easy for HOT to exist than it is for cold in our location.

Just look at mercury, venus, the moon, and mars. That is our probable future.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oh Lord, what I would do for a day in the low to mid 60's!

The west coast is burning up! you should see my arm tan from driving. I look Mexican on my left arm and white as snow on the right arm!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
We've had several days in the 90s. It's been a HOT summer here in VA! Today, 94. The forecast is calling for 90 on Tues and 93 on Thrus. I'm getting tired of the heat!

weather

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Look, it's *global* warming. That doesn't mean every location on earth gets hotter. It isn't something you can measure by looking at a few (or a few thousand) temperatures, especially if they are on land. Most of the earth's heat mass is in the ocean.

Global warming is talking about a rise of a few degrees Celsius over a period of decades, if not centuries. That will not reflect in noticeable change in a year or two. Even a simple, 2 degree Celsius rise over ten years (that would be a very rapid rise) would be o.2 Celsius each year, or about .44 degrees Fahrenheit. Instead of it being 85 degrees one year, it would be 85.5, You'd never notice it.

Global warming represents a trend over time, not simply data points for a single day (or even a single year). You take the *overall* heat of the planet, and track it for a few decades, and if you see a warming trend, then you can speak of global warming. We're seeing that warming trend. There is little argument about the warming trend.

The controversy is over whether this warming is man-made, and whether mankind can do a thing about it now. For all we really know, it could be a result of volcanic gases being vented into the atmosphere, or some other factor we don't even know about, and cannot control. Or it might be the CO2 and methane we're releasing, or deforestation, etc. That's where the controversy lies.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It's just absolutely ridiculous to suggest that after billions of years humans will be what causes the earth to become Mercury or Venus. It's a natural cycle, and will inevitably happen with or without us, regardless of how often you scream that the sky is falling.

That's what we're arguing about.

But again, what's the point? There can be no debate if one side believes the "science is settled."

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by abefrohman

The time for arguing is through.

People are convinced of their own beliefs.

The time for action is at hand.

Those who believe we are going to see rapidly cooling temperatures we need to continue with our plans to protect ourselves and our families.

Find your locations based on what you believe to be right. Communicate with others who are ready to deal with the coming changes.

By all means stop wasting your time attempting to convince your neighbor... it's a lost cause.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by abefrohman

How is it so hard to believe that humans have some control over this tiny planet?

The industrial revolution and pollution from vehicles is NOT NATURAL. Obviously our technology will have some impact on how the Earth operates.

Why is that so hard to believe?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So far this summer in my area of southern California, it's gotten up to 108 degrees. We will, as we do every year, have temperatures up to 115 comes August.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
For all those who like to claim they "KNOW" whats going on,its kinda silly.Nobody alive has ever seen a "Ice Age".In the 70's,scientists were warning of a Ice age coming,which obviously didn't happen in the time frame they expected.The same thing can be said for "global warming".No human has been around,and lived to tell about any of these phenomenon.we can drill in the perma frost and get tidbits of scientific data,but in the end its SCIENTISTS who give us their expert opinions. Id rather get my info from the Farmers Almanac,then some of these so called experts.Something is happening,I will admit that much,but to say its a "MAN MADE PROBLEM" or its global cooling,or warming,and we have to change the way we live,when it might just be a "CYCLE" that the earth is in,and has always been in....Mammoths died with food in their mouths last "ICE AGE".

Star&Flag the info

Interesting site for all you Ice Age buffs

www.iceagenow.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by HeluvaStorm

The planes just go back and forth leaving trails, filling up the sky, and eventually these trails turn to thin clouds.

You're describing normal contrails, that will morph into what resemble normal cirrus clouds. The airplanes aren't going "back and forth", you're seeing different airplanes on different headings, on different flights to different destinations.

You're in MA? Did you know that the majority of the North Atlantic traffic to/from Europe passes overhead in your area? ALSO, quite a bit of North/South traffic to/from Canada to destinations in the USA.

Yes I have thought of all that you have mentioned. I just feel like there is something more going on. Sometimes it seems these trails just cover/block a large section of the sky. I have been more mindful of noticing them when out and about through the day. It seems to me that it will rain a day or two after a eventful day of chem trails..

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
The industrial revolution and pollution from vehicles is NOT NATURAL. Obviously our technology will have some impact on how the Earth operates.

Because the output of greenhouse gases from Krakatoa or the Yellowstone Super Volcano far surpasses what puny Hu-mans can do

[edit on 26-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Someone just told me about these records.

data.giss.nasa.gov...\

www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

Can someone explain this seeming contradiction?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That doesn't matter Zorgon. The pure fact that humans are creating ANY CO2 means there is some "change" that could cause unknown problems.

For example; If I create an electrical device that is designed to run at 2.5 volts, but then out of the blue for some reason the device is getting 2.8 volts, it could potentially destroy the device over time. I didn't design the device to handle that extra .3 volts.

It's similar to the Earth, it was naturally running with x% of CO2, now ever since humans discovered burning oil for energy the Earth is running with x% + y% which means we could potentially be causing some damage.

No matter what way you look at it, humans are effecting and creating changes on Earth, no matter how small you think the change is, it could add up to something big in the long run.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HeluvaStorm

It seems to me that it will rain a day or two after a eventful day of chem trails..

That just shows how they are nothing more than cirrus clouds. Often, cirrus will precede a front. Sometimes the front will bring rain.

In any event, I would argue that your latitude is too far North to warrant any intentional "spraying", if the intent were 'global cooling'.

In fact, high cirrus clouds can have the opposite effect from 'cooling', as the water ice acts to retain some of the Sun's infrared.

As far as the topic of the OP, it shows that focusing on some local anomalies is fruitless. AND, zorgon already brought a wealth of information, via the Antarctic ice cores, to show that Human activity is likely to have a very miniscule effect on the Globe, compared to other far more powerful forces at work, that are not within Human control.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Maybe a mini ice age is needed.

I can plainly see the scenario you have played out as water will ONLY exist under a particular pressure/environment.

God I hate when s#$% makes sense!

lol

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Normally, 85 Degrees Fahrenheit in the Middle Atlantic during July is considered NICE, as our temperatures are commonly not only considerably higher this time of year (Mid-90's Fahrenheit), but our Humidity levels are also extremely oppressive. Our Humidity for some weeks this Summer has averaged itself at a level of roughly 40%-50%, which is definitely on the Sub-Average/Non-Muggy side of the spectrum.

As a matter of fact, typically on the 4th of July I end up sweating after only running back-and-forth for about 5 minutes during the lighting of firecrackers (Lol, I am the designated Pyrotechnician). This year however it was extremely pleasant, and I spent the better part of an Hour outside without any complaints. Some neighbors even relegated themselves to wearing JACKETS!

As a side note, I want to inform ATS members of the way in which NOAA keeps playing politics with their News Releases (Allow me to paraphrase from memory):

-During the Winter Months, when we faced dramatically below Average temperatures across the entire Nation, NOAA reported that we had a "Slightly Below Average Winter" (Temperature wise).

-When we faced a Spring considerably cooler than Average, NOAA reported that our Spring time Temperatures were in fact "Average".

-Later in Spring, NOAA decided to change their criteria to a Global Level, and declared Worldwide Temperatures were "Above Average".

-Then, when we faced some warmer weather in June across the Southern half of the United States, NOAA stated that the United States had succumbed to "Above Average Temperatures" ("Above" is marked as a level above "Slightly Above" on their scale).

-Then, as our Summer progressed into a Cooler than Average Period, NOAA's Temperature report entirely neglected the United States, and instead stated that "The Average Global Oceanic Temperatures Are Above Normal/Average".

If THIS is not a blatant and well established case of rearranging the Data in order to make it fit a preconceived idea, as opposed to shaping ideas around the facts, then I have no certainty what is.

Not to mention the fact that, as displayed in an ATS post which I created a few months back, NOAA's very Own Temperature Maps do not fit their Corresponding Press Releases. This is utterly absurd, and I would think that the American people would demand far more impartial professionalism from a Taxpayer funded Agency such as this.

[edit on 7-26-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Because the output of greenhouse gases from Krakatoa or the Yellowstone Super Volcano far surpasses what puny Hu-mans can do

I can see where you're coming from. When Mt. St. Helen's blew I had ash on my car. I was living in Nova Scotia. That's about 4000 miles. What you aren't taking into consideration though is that we are ALL OVER the planet, not in an isolated area.

Secondly, if we are not the major cause of the problem, why exacerbate the situation. It's our future we're talking about here. Screw movies like Armageddon, it isn't an asteroid that going to off mankind, it'll be us doing it.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Soooo, let me get this straight. Gobal warming causes global cooling?

Isn't that like saying, "dieting causes weight gain?"

Or, "Water causes dehydration?"

Yup, when you paraphrase another person's arguments in incorrect terms you come up with ridiculous conclusions.

What he said is that global warming can cause cooling, not global cooling as you suggest. The cooling is localized to a region. But the warming is global, because it is average temperature over the whole globe, not local temperature in a specific place.

A very high fever can leave a person dead, and cold as a result.

Coughing vigorously leaves you with the sensation that you have something stuck in your throat.

The more sugary foods you eat the hungrier you get.

The world is full of situations that appear like contradictions to people who wish to oversimplify things.

And by the way, dieting does cause weight gain to a lot of people because they get cravings as a result of dieting. and Salt water dehydrates.

-rrr

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

You seem to imply that an eruption from those volcanoes is known to be imminent, and therefore there is no point to reduce man made green house emissions.

We are not exactly planning our lives as if we knew for certain those volcanoes were to blow up are we? If we were, the worrying about global warning would not only be pointless, going to work, paying taxes and other unpleasant activities that we do only to ensure a better future would also be pointless.

-rrr

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join