It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: The Iraq War Will be Defined By Images of Abu Ghraib Abuse.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Indeed, AceOfBase.

Synchronicity. Thanks!

A just-heard piece of propaganda on Fox News: "You have to be very careful criticizing the Commander In Chief in wartime".

Codswallop.

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
basing everything on one event is rather narrow minded and short sighted at best and ignorant at worst.

war is a terrible thing, POWs are mistreated on all sides as much as we want to think otherwise. i dont like to see people dying, whether its a soldier or an innocent civilian.

While I tend to agree that basing judgement on one event is foolhearty this is turning out to be more than just one event. There are allegations surfacing from other detention facilites and even more disturbing allegations ranging from random sniping of prisoners to raping Iraqi women and little boys. IF, and I mean IF, these allegations prove to be true then this WILL be one of the defining issues of the war.
How can we, as Americans, stand up and say we are fighting for Freedom and stand on Moralities higher ground when we are acting no better than the Saddam's, the Sauds or the Kim Jong-Il's of the world? The short answer is we can't, we lose.

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by observer]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wrong thread, sorry.

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by kegs]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
"The American public needs to understand, we're talking about rape and murder here. We're not just talking about giving people a humiliating experience; we're talking about rape and murder and some very serious charges."

- Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) warns far worse photographs and (oh Jesus) videos are about to emerge from the bowels of Abu Grhaib. I haven't much cared for Graham's style of politics, but have to respect his brutal honesty, here

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
"The American public needs to understand, we're talking about rape and murder here. We're not just talking about giving people a humiliating experience; we're talking about rape and murder and some very serious charges."

- Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) warns far worse photographs and (oh Jesus) videos are about to emerge from the bowels of Abu Grhaib. I haven't much cared for Graham's style of politics, but have to respect his brutal honesty, here

I can only hope these allegations are incorrect. I heard this from Sen Graham and it startled me. Our safety, I fear, will be greatly compromised by this storm as it will alienate and enrage those who have been trying to hold the moderate line in the middle east.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Posted by Hoaks Abusive U.S. Soldier Stories Spring Up In Arab News. Bush Counters With Arab Interviews
Iraqi's being tortured in U.S. run prisons, sick enough. Torture till death, is first degree murder in my book.

Finally, a U.S. Senator who isn't afraid to speak the truth.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I agree 100% that these acts are disturbing and that the people responsible (no matter how high up this goes) need to be punished appropriately. However, if you allow this event to define the entire yearlong situation in Iraq then there is a word for you: feebleminded.

The sooner we learn to stop falling into political traps the better. For anyone to allow a fiasco like this to derail anything else is tragic. "Well since this happened, your entire story is no good". Sounds stupid to me.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm sorry, this may have been posted elsewhere in a thread and I may have overlooked it- please forgive me, I'm new to this community and still haven't figured out how this message board works- I'm trying my best to do so. In the meantime...

Do you not think that the pictures released (the ones we've seen so far) are not fodder to get more Iraqi insurgents to fall for the Al Queda (sp?) cause? If the roles were reversed (Iraqi militants abusing American troops), would that not infuriate many of us? Would it not cause us to go to war, all over again?

I'm not very politically smart- I really hope someone helps to educate me on this issue...

Thank you,

Corey

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Originally posted by dz
You know, those that know me know that I rarely if ever back the United States in this 'war'. This is one time though that I will.

Why is it that we have a huge, huge uprising about a picture of our GI's torturing, .... no, not even torturing. TEASING, the Iraqi soldiers, to the point where our stupid ass president apologizes to the whole damn nation of Iraq, yet when they run full blown news coverage of them torturing our soldiers, dragging their dead corpses through the streets, it is fine and dandy?

How in God's name do you explain that?

Well, they weren't just teasing these Iraqis.
Some of them died.

It wasn't fine and dandy when those contractors were dragged through Iraq either. After that incident, they sent troops into that area and hundreds of Iraqis were killed by coalition soldiers. So it's not like that act went unpunished.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Given today's events,
the Iraq war may well be defined by the execution of Nick Berg more than by the pictures.

I haven't seen this much grief, rage and confusion since the morning of 9-11.
A quick sweep of large non-conspiracy discussion boards shows nearly the same level of emotion as the day that started this new world we've found ourselves in.

I think the last week may be looked back as a true turning point in history,
and today as the day many people remembered what rage is.

-B.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I disagree entirely that any war can be 'defined' by the suffering of a single individual or images of it, or that one image is any more sensational than any other.

I would agree with ThePrankMonkey's position on this.

But individual reactions can 'define' the morality associated with the individual.

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join