It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Terror: The Radical Christian Right - 1996 Alternative Views Video

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
What a ridiculous straw man argument this video is. America used to be much much more "Christian right" than it was in 1990s. The 90s were liberal... well that depends on how you define the word "is" I guess. America was founded and settled largely by the Puritans, Quakers etc. I mean all the way up to the 1950s the government was much more religious than what these guys are acting so concerned about in the 1990s. Their complaints have little to do with Christianity, just the politics of a few specific Christians.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by joeofthemountain

You speak sarcastically, but in many of those statements Jesus is referring to Pharisees, basically the hypocritical lawmaker deceivers. It was very anti-control, because if you tell somebody not to do a specific thing, the very often that specific thing is sought after. Things are encouraged by their promotion, whether encouraging or discouraging the behavior. It spirals society downward.

In reference to the sin part, the only things Jesus mentioned as sins were basically foundational in nature. Do not judge. Forgive others and self. Forgo the false image. Love others as yourself. In other words, no busybody stuff, just an awareness of the holistic perspective.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
ATTENTION ATS!!!

First and foremost their are extremes in every religion.

Second is, what is so awful about the TRUE Christian religion? The true Christian religion has love for all. No other religion has that unless you convert to theirs.

Why is it so hard to believe the written word of God? You guys are more to believe in UFOs and our own lying government than our own Bible that has been around for thousands of years.

All of you should see the writing on the wall, The bible is telling us what is happening and what is about to. Now is not the time to ignore it. Just live your lives as decent as you can and may god save you in the final times because of that.

Jesus lived the life that all good men can honor, Don't try to shame that. Jesus for us on the cross to give us one last chance. We have failed him as a whole.

Please do not disrespect him further because he has more love for you than you could ever know.

Who died for you? Ask yourself who would lay down for you at an instance to save your live? My money says he is a Christian. Not killing for some cause but to save a cherished life, Who would die for you? I know many who would lay their lives down for me as I would for them just because I would feel that they may do something better for mankind than I.

Its time to stop bad mouthing Christ and Christianity as it will only empower the Anti-Christ and bring about horrible times for ALL OF US.

Many religions do not deny that Jesus was a holy man sent by God and its dam sure time you all realize that he is the one binding figure to all religions.

If you cant see he is the one then I suggest you study more. Who else had good and love for all? KNOW MAN ON EARTH EVER SINCE THE HISTORY OF MANKIND.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

There is no evidence jesus existed in the first place,so you will have to start from there first of all before exclaiming an imaginary man loved everyone.Still not watched the vid,so i can't comment on what people think of it.

And please don't use the bible as evidence he existed.Thats like me using spiderman comics to prove spiderman exists.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is seriously one of the most pathetic propaganda pieces I believe I have ever seen. No offense to ATS as I know it only passes on the videos for discussion and does not endorse them in any way.

Observe. During the following scene, I literally broke out laughing to the point my husband who was sitting across the room asked me what I was finding so funny:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95a626ce4d33.jpg[/atsimg]

Love the fake superimposed Christian protesters taking over Washington as they rally in step to the song, 'Onward Christian Soldiers.' I guess if there is no such thing as the Christian hordes stampeding through the Capitol with their proverbial pitchforks, let's just show some Photoshopped images because that would help the agenda of the video.

Love how they made the black female preacher look like a nut because she was talking about clothing the poor and feeding the hungry. What an extremist. The NWO wants to keep people hungry and naked- how dare the crazy Christian fringe try to impede on their plans by tending to the less fortunate. 'Those pesky Christians who run around feeding and clothing the poor. Hey, let's make a propaganda video to get even.'

Love how they keep talking about the fanatical Christian people but the images they show to back it up are regular people hugging each other at church or two well manner Christian children respectfully taking down and folding the American flag at the end of the day. Or saying the Lord's Prayer with their heads bowed. Or the Christian basketball team. Those extremists.

Love how the likes of Jimmy Baker is shown as one of our representatives. There is a reason his ministry failed: Because the Christian people realized what he was. He's a laughingstock- not a role model or leader.

Love the guy who was mentioning groups like nonbelievers, secular humanists, and astrologers and states the Christian right 'Executes them. Zap! That's it.' Uh, no we don't.

Then we get onto the subject of the right as a whole. What is with all the attempted defamation of right wingers all of a sudden? I happen to feel the left vs. right split gives us an unofficial system of checks and balances. You need both sites for a balanced pendulum. However, there is an agenda in the works to destroy one side of that balance.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Not only are we right wingers that believe in crazy things like objective truth and morality, We're stuck in black and white. If we get our way we will have the whole country's color TVs confiscated. Then we might even pray for you..
Be afraid, very afraid.

[edit on 7/26/2009 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by firegoggles

Very well said, and thank you very much for setting the record straight. True Christians do not contrive to deceive or harm others.

Star for you

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This is Bible prophecy. It's exactly what they want you to think about Christians. They will fight the NWO, be considered radical, anti-government fanatics and be serverely persecuted for it.

A few weird occult type groups calling themselves Christians have given us all a bad rap. The Davidians, Jonestown, Ruby Ridge to mention a few.

These were not christians. A true christian is humble, not boastful. Would give the shirt off their back if another needed it. They are mostly non-judemental; although many would argue that.

When and if you catch us be easy on us. We are pepared for it.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SheaWolf

Very well said, and thank you very much for setting the record straight. True Christians do not contrive to deceive or harm others.

*starts to get out list* Aww- it's too late for this. Tomorrow, then. They don't say "Christians are the only religion who shoot their wounded" for no good reason, kids. Too bad the person who said it left the out the parts about eating their wounded alive if shooting 'em didn't do the trick.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Personally I think if Jesus were alive today he'd send these cretins to burn in hell for being such traitorous louts.

Jesus actually is alive today...has been for nearly 2000 years.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
There is no evidence jesus existed in the first place,so you will have to start from there first of all before exclaiming an imaginary man loved everyone.

And please don't use the bible as evidence he existed.Thats like me using spiderman comics to prove spiderman exists.

Actually, there is more evidence than you give credit for or perhaps have knowledge of.

Also, I have read historians who are not sympathetic to Christianity who easily grant that Jesus did in fact exist. It's not hard to imagine a revolutionary thinker in the 1st century who taught his followers to love their enemies. There's nothing irrational or magical about the existence of a radical religious preacher who goes against the prevailing ideas of the day. Buddha is one example.

Whether you believe this man Jesus also performed miracles is another matter, but to be disinclined to believe in the historic existence of a religious teacher who sparked a new world religion goes beyond mere cynicism and skepticism. Do you also doubt Plato's existence? There is far less textual attestation to his existence than Jesus' existence, and yet I bet you have no trouble fitting a man like Plato into your idea of history.

Finally, the writers of the New Testament weren't publishing comic books. They really believed what they wrote. Even if we narrow the body of writing down to Paul's eight universally accepted (by believing and non-believing NT scholars alike) texts, he was certainly not writing comics. He believed what he wrote and he intended his audience to believe his message, too. Your characterization of Christianity as being on the level of a comic book is offensive.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So why are Christian "Radicals" considered "The Right" politically speaking, but Muslim Radicals are kept clear of the spectrum altogether? When the Muslim Extremists attack us, Leftists call them 'Freedom Fighters", but when some Christians voice fire in their words, they suddenly become "That Evil Right-Wing of the GOP".

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
This stuff really existed. My parents used to take me to revivals as a child were certain candidates were emphasized as being Christian and people enticed to vote for them. If you want this or that outlawed then vote for this candidate. Some of the local (religious choice) candidates even showed up to hand out buttons in the church and hosted a cookout after the sermon.

This stuff happens all the time in the South with religious groups trying to subvert politics, education, law enforcement, local policies (Blue Laws). This is just some on the local level.

Most of these hard core religionists are little different than Westboro Baptist. The only difference is that Westboro doesn't realize that they display a bad image but, in their hearts they are the same and just kinda offend people in a round about nice way. "Oh I don't hate you! I just hate everything about you!" Kinda nice displaying it like that. They'll condemn Westboro on one hand but, say the exact thing only toned down.

An excellent site to get in depth about this video can be found at.
Theocracy Watch

[edit on 27/7/09 by toochaos4u]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I dont think you are getting the big picture here.

Its not about fingering out Christians or the right. There is good reason the right have had such large impacts on American culture. Very good reason. Traditional values, country first, personal responsibility and fiscal conservatism are noble concepts and should be noted that way. The video takes no stance on those principles or the people that uphold those principles which mostly comes from the right.

What it does oppose are the ones who wish to implement their religious views into their political agendas, and then use the church as a vehicle to advance those agendas. There is a reason the forefathers specifically left religion out of the constitution. They know how tyrannical a government can get when the two are mixed. e

And it seems the video hit the nail on the head when it comes to stressing this point, in my opinion. The evangelical church has strived to implement not only its religious views but its political concepts originating from their interpretation of the Bible. And that is the point. That is the problem. No matter what the church thinks this nation was not founded on Christianity. It was founded on the concept of free will and a limited government not being able to intrude on that5 free will.

I will always defend the rights of each individual to worship who and what they see fit, but to have others impose their will on the rest, well thats good cause for a real concern and a better cause for a fight.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorian Guard

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Personally I think if Jesus were alive today he'd send these cretins to burn in hell for being such traitorous louts.

Jesus actually is alive today...has been for nearly 2000 years.

Jesus died on the cross for mankind's sins and then ascended to heaven three days later.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

objective truth

Didnt you do a video on how the creation story is scientific fact??

How much "objective truth" can you have when you decide to ignore the entire scientific community

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Hundreds of years ago the scientific truth was that the earth was flat.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Totakeke

negative...if they though the earth ws flat why would they be heading west to try and make it to india for trading?

Thats how they "discovered" america... The church didnt like anything that went agaisnt their small box that they wanted people to live in...so they labeled anyone who thought the earth was round ignorant and stupid. funny how ancient civilization knew so much about astronomy that only until today have we begun to understrand their true knowledge about the universe...thats why galileo was excommunicated (if i remember correctly)..

that doesnt mean the average person thought the earth was flat. So, sorry, you are wrong...and your implication that the creation story is scientific is way beyiond wrong...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

No, I get it. And I know it is a fact there are Christians who try to influence the political beliefs of their congregation and listeners. If anyone denies that, then they aren't paying attention or are being deceptive.

However, this is a common occurrence for many different social and religious groups. Every group has their leaders who are trying to get a piece of the political pie.

Atheists influence politics all the time. Christians influence politics all the time. Pro life and pro choice. Muslims and Jews. Whites, blacks, and hispanics. Also, every group has their 'pariah leaders' that embarrass and misrepresent those in the group.

This leads us to the next point. Are Christians actually going to 'win?' No. They lose more ground every day. This is a very transparent propaganda piece. Every group tries to stick their nose in politics and change things to support their causes.

You don't have to worry about the Christians infiltrating the government or making Christian based laws or Christian doctrine being taught in schools. I don't see Christians imposing their will successfully. Like everyone else, they can try but they're losing.

So I am looking at the bigger picture but you apparently miss it. All groups try to drum up support for their agenda but this piece singles out one and uses some pretty misleading examples that I explain above to support their agenda.

And I understand our nation is not a Christian nation and do not have any interest in making it one. Even Jesus said 'My Kingdom is not of this world' so I don't see the point in trying to create it here myself.

But the fact remains, this video is propaganda. And that is said looking at the details as well as the total picture.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
How much "objective truth" can you have when you decide to ignore the entire scientific community

It's 'creation.' Not 'creationism.' The purpose was to show the universe had a beginning- not that it was created in six literal days due to the spoken word of God. I believe that aligns with the scientific community. Unless something changed and I didn't get the memo.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join