It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kola Superdeep Borehole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I won't say I believe this story as much as I would like to, but it sure is interesting!

Just read this:

The Kola Superdeep Borehole was frozen in 1994. In 1983 it was already 12 km deep when they decided to stop the digging, and after another 262 meters were dug (it took a decade to “cover” this distance), the project was totally nixed. The official reason for it was a lack of financing, but insiders say that it was because of supernatural things going on inside the hole. The drilling technician assure journalists, that the project was fell-financed by the scientific foundations, and they actually stopped working because “demons started to get from under the ground”.
source

True or not, don't you just love such a story?!

Make sure to check out the link for additional story and lots of nice pictures!

I'll dig around for some more info right away!
(Yes, yes, I already know about this thread)

The truth is down there!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Is this the hole where the "hell sounds"came from and when they lowered a microphone down it it melted after catching the sounds of tortured souls?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
reply to post by Raud

Is this the hole where the "hell sounds"came from and when they lowered a microphone down it it melted after catching the sounds of tortured souls?

Yeah, a good prank that even got some good airplay on those Christian radio broadcasts to scare all the sheep into donating.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Yeah, because as we all know, money can buy just about everything. Including a get-out-of-hell free card!

Here is some more on the topic:

Another unexpected find was a menagerie of microscopic fossils as deep as 6.7 kilometers below the surface. Twenty-four distinct species of plankton microfossils were found, and they were discovered to have carbon and nitrogen coverings rather than the typical limestone or silica. Despite the harsh environment of heat and pressure, the microscopic remains were remarkably intact.

Ooops, nearly forgot the source!

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Raud]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

The Catholic church has been selling that get out of hell free card for centuries. There is a sucker born every minute.

I do not know if I am ready to believe demons are coming out of the bore hole though.

Demons are more likely to come out of Al Gore's pie hole.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

In 1983, the drill passed the 12,000 metres (39,370 ft) level and stopped drilling for about a year to celebrate the event.[3] This idle period may have contributed to a disappointing break-down on September 27 1984: after drilling 12,066 metres (39,587 ft) down, 5,000 metres (16,400 ft) of boring pipes tore off and were left in the earth.

source

What's that saying; "don't sell the bear's skin before it has been shot"

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yeah, here's your spoiler;

The legend
The legend held that, after having drilled a hole nine miles deep, the Soviets hit a pocket of air. Intrigued by this unexpected discovery, they lowered an extremely heat tolerant microphone, along with other sensory equipment, into the well. The temperature deep within was a 2000 degrees Fahrenheit - heat from a chamber of fire from which screams of the damned could be heard. United States tabloids soon ran the story, and sound files - recordings of those alleged supplications from the damned - began appearing on various sites across the Internet.
(...)
According to Rendalen, the "story" claimed not only that the cursed well was real, but that a bat-like apparition had risen out of it before blazing a trail across the Russian sky.

Well, at least I could use this for a pretty nice movie script.

As it turns out, part of the legend is true: Soviet scientists had, in fact, drilled a hole almost eight miles deep in Kola (the Kola Superdeep Borehole), and found some interesting geological anomalies. Neither the Devil nor his minions made an appearance, however.[1] Temperatures reached 180 degrees Celsius (356 °F), making deeper drilling prohibitively expensive.

Source

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I recall some years ago a fellow coming out and saying that the "sounds of hell" recording was a hoax that he had cooked up. Supposedly, he had been contracted to create a recording of some "demonic" sounds for one of those christian haunted houses. The recording he made, though, was judged to be too disturbing to use. He decided, on a bet, to send it to a local religious radio station along with a story that he had found about this Russian drilling project and thus, the legend was born.

I was cool that the Russians had done this as the discovery of the fossils that deep caused some real soul searching in the circles of paleontology.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Here is some more on the topic:

Another unexpected find was a menagerie of microscopic fossils as deep as 6.7 kilometers below the surface. Twenty-four distinct species of plankton microfossils were found, and they were discovered to have carbon and nitrogen coverings rather than the typical limestone or silica. Despite the harsh environment of heat and pressure, the microscopic remains were remarkably intact.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Raud]

I think I've heard this before. We're just beginning to understand that planet earth has life forms that live under the crust. I'm beginning to wonder if scientists have it all wrong about the true nature of the fossil fuels. Maybe they're microscopic bodies of the fire kind.

new topics

top topics

join