It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Whale Gets Stuck in Cruise Ship Bow (with picture!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — A cruise ship arrived at the Port of Vancouver with a dead whale lodged in its bow.

The Princess Cruise Lines' Sapphire Princess was docked at the Canada Place terminal Saturday with the whale stuck to its front. It wasn't immediately known when it arrived or when the collision occurred.

Some tourists visiting one of the city's most impressive downtown destinations took pictures of the whale. Several employees at Canada Place, home to the Vancouver Convention Centre and the Pan Pacific Hotel, also trickled over to stare at the animal.

Full article found here:www.foxnews.com...

How in the world do you miss hitting something like this? If a cruise ship can hit a whale and not even notice, what else can they hit and not notice???

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gatorboi117
How in the world do you miss hitting something like this? If a cruise ship can hit a whale and not even notice, what else can they hit and not notice???

Small boats? Alien spacecraft? I think the moral of the story is to stay the heck out of the way of giant vessels.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
That failed to understand the law of gross tonage.

"He who is bigger has the right of way"

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
You would think that the ship's captain would have noticed some "drag" from that whale on the ship's bow! I literally just got back from a cruise in Alaska that docked in Vancouver Saturday morning when this ship docked--we saw this ship several times during our tour as the ships take the same routes and dock in the same ports it seems. I was so busy "disembarking" and standing in eternal customs lines in Vancouver (seriously they had 5 customs agents for the 1500 people trying to get off our cruise ship--can you image the lines???) that I didn't even look around to see the other cruise ships that docked--I wish I had been more observant! We saw a few whales in the distance during the cruise, but nothing close--I guess that's a good thing considering this poor whale that got shishkabobbed! Still, one would think the ship might have felt a fairly large "thud" when it hit the whale, or noticed some drag from it. The seas were quite rough though the last three days of our cruise--12-18 foot swells and waves, so maybe that could help explain why they didn't notice anything odd.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
When i was a wee little feller,we took a ferry trip out to Gran Manan island via Bay of Fundy, and in the middle of a nasty blow the ferry dropped off the peak of a huge swell and hit a whale. A lot smaller tonnage vessel, it made a pretty good thud and pitched the craft.

A vessel of that tonnage though, you probably wouldn't notice unless you really nit-picked and worried about a fraction of a knot or a small change in fuel consumption. That would be like noticing the drag from the dead raccoon stuck on the grill of your 4x4.

A whale is a fairly hydrodynamic object also, and aside from presenting a side profile and increasing the forward area coefficient the fins and tail will all slide through the water pretty easily as well as the head. It's not like you're dragging a brake, and it's probably a pretty small percentage of difference in the forward area coefficient figures.

Or maybe they did notice they slowed down a knot or two, but i highly doubt that they'd check to see if it's because they've got a dead whale hanging off the bumper in 12 to 18' seas.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Originally posted by gatorboi117

How in the world do you miss hitting something like this? If a cruise ship can hit ??

Ever been down in a DryDock gatorboi?? I mean with a really large heavyship..like a ocean liner......aircraft carrier?? Freighters..oil tankers??

Ships collide with stuff all the time.

I think you watch to many movies or television.

A whale like this is not even a speed bump. Especially for a large heavy ocean liner.

Remember something..most large ships have very large engines to turn their rudders ...usually hydraulic engines. An Aircraft carrier has two large hydraulic engines for turning thier rudders. They wouldnt even notice this.
THe only thing they would notice is if something interfered with the bow thrusters when parking or leaving the piers.

Or if they ran into another really large ship or ran aground.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 29-7-2009 by orangetom1999]

new topics

top topics

join