It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish: A silent timebomb

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I think it’s important when reading posts like this to consider what I pointed out in my earlier post to this thread that the Amish are skilled and adept because of their lifestyle and belief in not entering in to contracts with the corporate government that give the corporate government a contractual jurisdiction and rights over them.

This does not please the increasingly powerful corporate government at all. The corporate government does not enjoy any group or culture living outside its enslaving and mind and thought numbing, and taxing control.

Ultimately the corporate government would love to destroy or seriously modify the Amish way of life to bring them in to the same contractual bondage that most citizens are forced in at birth and never escape.

We can expect to see propaganda about the Amish like that being posted by the Original Poster that is emotionally driven, absent facts, full of prejudices and hatreds as part of a campaign to end the Amish way of life.

I visited Pennsylvania Dutch Country many times as a small boy growing up in the rural Alleghany Mountains and the reality is for me and many other people who would travel far and wide to visit Amish Arts and Crafts Fairs and delight on their homemade all natural delicious cuisine and baked goods the Amish way of life was both romantic and whimsical and admirable as it is at times head scratching and mysterious.

Today the Amish lifestyle is eroding from within as the Amish are having a harder and harder time keeping their youth enjoined in their traditions once they reach adulthood.

While I am neither religious nor superstitious and wouldn’t want to live a life of such hard honest toil and full of deprivation to stay that close to the natural world as the Amish do I still think to this day that it’s a romantic and storied way of life that serves as a quaint reminder of days gone by.

In regards to our corporate government the Amish have it stymied for one reason in that they remember. They aren’t born in hospitals and issued Birth Certificates as slaves by the Departments of Commerce.

Their births are recorded in family Bibles that go back hundreds of years with all the name of their line’s ancestors recorded right alongside their own. They have a sense of real history and real continuity as a result of it that most Americans don’t. Their ancestors lived and knew the promise of what the United States of America was Constitutionally supposed to be about and their own natural traditions and ways along with their own family histories and real history of this nation as opposed to the corporate media and text book versions of this nation’s history have been handed down to them generation to generation.

Because of this they know many things about this nation its laws and its metamorphoses into an unconstitutional corporate government that most of us have forgotten or never knew about.
The Amish are a link to a past, our past as a nation and a natural kinder, gentler more thoughtful people that is rapidly disappearing and almost vanished.

When the Amish finally disappear from the erosion of their centuries old lifestyle that link will disappear and the United States of America will be all the weaker and not stronger for that.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

In regards to our corporate government the Amish have it stymied for one reason in that they remember. They aren’t born in hospitals and issued Birth Certificates as slaves by the Departments of Commerce.

Um....Birth Certificates are issued by the state Department of Health....atleast in NY they are. Not Department of Commerce

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Um....Birth Certificates are issued by the state Department of Health....atleast in NY they are. Not Department of Commerce

They are forwarded to the United States Department of Commerce that also conducts the Census.

Some individual states have their Birth Certificates issued under that State's Department of Health som under that State's Department of Commerce.

Now would you like to talk about the Wiffle Ball Bat and Ball you were told not to bring to their home and play with that day because no Amish person would buy such a thing or allow their kids to play with it?

Or perhaps you can tell me how you make linen from flax on a loom, use your own forge to blacksmith your own utensils, nails and hooks?

How you make a Grandfather clock or erect a barn, blow glass, or bake a pie from your own flour made from your own wheat filled with your own fruit made with your own gelatin and lard?

Can you do anything of use at all beyond whine and pass useless unfounded information?

Tha Amish sure can, why can't you?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
* SELF CENSORED TO KEEP AWAY THE BADDIES *

[edit on 7/26/2009 by MadDogtheHunter]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Like they say..."You reap what you sow!"...LOL I think the Amish would be more forgiving than most people here. In spite of all the animosity you have shown to them in your posts I truly believe that they would be the first to forgive & forget.

Of course I could be wrong, but my experience with them leads me to believe otherwise.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Lol, all this bashing I'm getting, doesn't bother me a bit. I find it amusing and typical.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I agree with the OP, the Amish, nor ANY religion, should be able to break laws that the rest of us must obey. I saw a show about the AMish a few months back, I think it was on PBS. WHen they turn a certain age, they are allowed to leave and go out into the world. Many of them never come back, instead becoming hooked on drugs or getting into gangs. 16 years of shelter from the outside world makes them go ALL OUT when the leash is finally cut.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Yes OP but you started this thread and the disagreements started in a pretty tame manner.

Ah well...what will ya do?

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
I agree with the OP, the Amish, nor ANY religion, should be able to break laws that the rest of us must obey. I saw a show about the AMish a few months back, I think it was on PBS. WHen they turn a certain age, they are allowed to leave and go out into the world. Many of them never come back, instead becoming hooked on drugs or getting into gangs. 16 years of shelter from the outside world makes them go ALL OUT when the leash is finally cut.

First it should be noted that the OP has not demonstrated what if any laws that Amish are actually breaking?

Not eating chemical laden food and poluting the environment with fossil fuels? Being totally self suffecient?

Can you actually name the PBS show and provide a source to it especially the rampant drug use? The OP thought a Harrison Ford Movie about Jack Mormon Sects related to the Amish.

Finally I think what you fail to realize in your theorized assesment of what becomes of young Amish Adults when they go out in the world is an indictment of the ills of the world not an indictment of the Amish world where such things as illegal narcotics are not present or allowed because of strong and vigiliant familiar units.

Don't you think it would be better to know the facts than speak to prejudices, unfounded bias, and complete ignorance?

A rose is a rose by any other name, I am guessing the same holds true for MadDogs?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

NOTE: Do NOT remove mod edits from your posts.

[edit on 27/7/09 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

You're a little late for the slam-party...thats over and done with. Move on, I have.

Slam party? When exactly have I 'slammed' you? All I have done is point out the inaccuracies as I saw them and called you on your initial claims. Now, if that's slamming, you my friend have a hard row to hoe here at ATS. We expect more from our members. We expect them to debate their points, as opposed to simply throwing out insults and making trite remarks in response to contradictory posts.

Perhaps you were simply confused. Did you mean to type in 'yahoo.com' and accidentally get 'abovetopsecret.com'?

(OK, OK, so that last line could be considered a 'slam', but then again, since I'm already being accused of it...
)

TheRedneck

Edit to add:

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Go suck an egg already. You're Ignored. Next??

[edit on 7/26/2009 by MadDogtheHunter]

Nice response. No slam intended, I take it?

TheRedneck

[edit on 7/26/2009 by TheRedneck]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
As Americans we generally shy away from physical punishment of our kids. This is a newfound event, honestly. As a child, i was beat like no tomorrow.

However, it would be interesting to note that even the Chela's who are in the Buddhist monastic life in Tibet (the kids who are newly initiated) are beaten just as severely as described above.

Pain is a great teacher, to be sure. And it prepares the child for the hard life that they will be living.

While we may not agree with what the Amish are doing, we are also not living their lifestyle or culture. Playing armchair QB is unfair in this instance.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This story is ridiculous and so are the responses. Especially the moronic response about raising chickens and the amish milk. Give me a break , the majority of Amish are devout Christians which would mandate honesty and integrity. Some , like all groups of people , etc. are bad. This subject is being presented by an individual that obviously has a bias against Amish people. Maybe he is justified by his experiences but this is a sweeping portrayal of a very large population. I do business w/ some and absolutely love their products and services. I respect the way the Amish children are reared and think that overall they are a group to be appreciated for the way they live true to their principals. I don't understand the way they live or why they do it , but as an American I am proud that this is a country where we welcome their freedom to do so.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Well, the only objection I have is..... well.....if you think that THEY should have to live by the governments BS rules, then YOU should have to as well.....you just voluteer your rights away to the legislation and expect them to do so as well...

All because of a birth certificate we had no choice about at birth?

I wonder if we can change our names or disown that certificate if we never volunteered for it or understood it, i wouold say it is unlawful.

As long as they aren't killing, stealing, raping, lying etc, or doing anything to harm others, then I agree with them....if not, then I agree with your reasoning.

the problem is, our entire society needs to grow up to a point of self governing anyways......

saying, "look at them" they should be slaves too, means you agree with or condone your OWN slavery.

I personally do NOT, and consider myself a child of God, not government, so I am accountable to the universe, not baloney to help rip myself off etc...

While they may not be perfect, we all need to get ourselves UNgoverned eventually...

Yet the ones acting like jerks, in anyway annoying, harrassing, lying to, stealing from, raping, murdering, slandering ar commiting fraud against others, DESERVE to be ruled by goverment..

But the rest of us who do not commit those acts are free weather you see it or not.....you just need to realize it bit by bit...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I love the "OMG, society is in moral decay!" angle displayed by people trying to justify the Amish lifestyle.

At least non-Amish people have a choice as to what kind of life they would like to live. I'd rather do things my own way than be forced to abide by customs of an arcane religious cult.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janitor From Mars
reply to post by TheRedneck

I love the "OMG, society is in moral decay!" angle displayed by people trying to justify the Amish lifestyle.

At least non-Amish people have a choice as to what kind of life they would like to live. I'd rather do things my own way than be forced to abide by customs of an arcane religious cult.

EXACTLY! And I was starting to think I was alone in this, lol.

Even if you (Janitor) disagree with everything else I've said, atleast you agree with me about this, lol.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by MadDogtheHunter]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Heres an interesting article, from experiences by an Amish woman dealing with incest and rape within her community:

www.beliefnet.com...

A story of abuse from Ohio in 2003:

www.newsnet5.com...

Another first hand story of sexual abuse among the Amish:

a.abcnews.com...

Child abuse/molestation in the Amish community:

www.gather.com...

Amish man convicted of murder:

www.trutv.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Another MUST READ, from an interview with an Amish woman who left the Amish community at age 15, because of (these are her words from the article) "The rape, incest and other sexual abuse that run rampant in the community".

www.fourhourworkweek.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I'm surprised by how many of you are advocating pummeling the crap out of a child to get them to behave. I can only assume you're referencing to [i[other people's children, right? Because if that's your actual solution, all it says is that you're easily outsmarted by a child.

Knocking the little apes around is about the least-effective method of discipline there is, and those of you who claim otherwise for yourselves are simply not remembering the rest of the stuff your parents did to keep your primitive asses in line.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I pride myself in knowing that I have NEVER hit my kids. I hardly EVER even have to raise my voice either. They respect me more for being a calm cool father, than a loud, abusive, obnoxious and abrasive father.

They don't act any worse than normal 7 & 9 year old girls. When we are at places where other parents have their little brats running around, screaming and throwing fits...my girls look at them funny and say to me "Daddy, why are they being so bad?". So hard to answer a question like that from someone so young.

Amish kids are virtually silent, out of fear of being switched, or paddled for having an opinion. So wrong. And some call this freedom? No.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by MadDogtheHunter]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join