It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monolith on Mars? Interesting image

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I found the photo from where this image was taken, it's photo PSP_006737_1265, from HiRISE.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

So THAT'S where I parked the car!!

CarHenge

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP
Thank you, I'll try it.

Edit to add that it worked for my earlier download

I'm downloading a 1.30gb image at hxxp://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_012912_1320.

Can't wait until I can see it!

[edit on 26-7-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Star for you. I don't often give these out, but you did a rather good job at size comparisons there.
Well done.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
That object was already there in 2003, when it was photographed by Mars Global Surveyor.

The difference in resolution shows how easy it is to loose detail with a lower resolution image.

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, 2008, 0.26 metres per pixel
(click for full size)

Mars Global Surveyor, 2003, 1.5 metres per pixel.

The direction of the light is also different.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
How strange it actually looks like the space odyssey monolith,

perhaps we should throw a party,or sticks!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

So you don't think it possible that these 'monoliths' were already standing on the side of a hill from thousands of years ago and then landslides buried them?

I mean... you absolutely positive they are pieces broken off the hill that landed straight up like that?

I mean you are an 'expert' on Martian rock in images, yes?

[edit on 26-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I almost jumped through the roof when I saw this. jaw dropping image. if somebody says it's a rock I'm gonna go ballistic!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

I'm gonna go ballistic!

Why??

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

I must admit that this rock is strange.
But its possible for some crystalline rocks to break in straight lines or erode that way. Some examples (earthly) :

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain
But its possible for some crystalline rocks to break in straight lines or erode that way.

So you expect us to believe that this rock just fell of that cliff, landed right side up where it is?

Boy I bet that home owner is pissed

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/36f9693e4fb6.png[/atsimg]

Seems more likely some Alien was ticked off at him and beamed his land into the bay

And just because some rock cleaves into blocks naturally does not prove all monoliths are natural rocks

[edit on 26-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

It is something but if it is anything of interest why would it have been plonked in the middle of nowhere? There is nothing else around it!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
So you don't think it possible that these 'monoliths' were already standing on the side of a hill from thousands of years ago and then landslides buried them?

What gave you that idea?

There are very few things that I consider impossible, and geology in another planet is not under that category, I only said that I think that that was what happened, based on the position of the object(s) and on the look of the whole area.

I mean... you absolutely positive they are pieces broken off the hill that landed straight up like that?

No, why should I?

And how can I be sure of anything like that?

I mean you are an 'expert' on Martian rock in images, yes?

Am I? I was not aware of that accolade. Can I get a digital hammer with it?

But even if I am an 'expert' on Martian rock in images, that would not make me an expert in Martian geology, and much less an expert on how things really happened, so I could not even then be sure of it.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You posted an image similar to what I was thinking, my thought was a rock like that in a desert.

Here is my problem....

I believe your rock and the one I saw in the desert, were weathered to become that. Weathered by wind and rain.....

"To the best of my knowledge", there is no rain or powerful winds on this one Mar's moon.

If it formed naturally, what natural forces formed it???

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm still not happy with the OP image.If the "Monolith" is so angular, why is its shadow somewhat clipped near the top portion.It could be that there is a small dune that the shadow is falling on and bending it, I suppose.
It's a pity the image isn't a little sharper it would help better to see which direction the lighting is actually coming from.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

According to the information from that photo's page, here, the light is coming from this direction.

(click for full size)

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hmm looks for like a natural rock to me??

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Hi ArMap,
Thanks for that, I did not realise at first that the OP's pic and yours above were the same, (the orientations are different)and it's clearer in your pic where the light source is coming from. Do you think that there is still a slope where the object is resting?as well as the others it's hard to tell. What about the shadow? it does look clipped at the top.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Have a look at the photo from Armap's post above...

Is it just me, or do all three of the bright 'stela' type structures, all look similar? Has anyone else noticed, the trio appear to form an almost perfect equilateral triangle?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Interesting thought process, there!

Now...if we could just do a little excavating....

A large buried structure! THAT would certainly be something to see.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join