It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Survive any Post-Apocalyptic Situation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
There are many skills needed to live through and apocalyptic situation. This will summarize all of the needed informations.

A. Preperation

I will give you my advice as to not go out and buy all the food you can to prepare for the "doom" You are just wasting money if there isn't one. You'll also be on the run in just about every situation involving an apocalypse. It will way you down and make everything that much harder. Just follow these steps.

I. Excercise

Walk once a day, ride your bike to work, do something. Make sure the excercise is something that is enjoyable and won't be something you will start and stop all the time.

II. Read

Yes, read. Get some books about wildlife, plants, and the area you live in. They are interesting books, and they can help you sometime. Get books on local plants (with the information about where they're found and what they are used for, make sure there are pictures), Animals, and wildlife.

III. Master Two Weapons or More

Be smart about what weapon you choose, but it most be able to save your life if needed. I advise mastering a gun or some projectile weapon. Also master one or two secondary weapons. (Swords, knifes, staffs) Learn one hunting weapon. This will help against raiders, theifs, and zombies. It will also get you good at hunting.

IV. Learn to Garden (Also stock up on seeds)

Seeds are very light weight and can give you a reusable means of food. Keep a garden so you know the basics of gardenings. Grow tomatoes, potatoes, corn, and whatever good you can think of. Also make sure to keep some bamboo sprouts for growing when the time comes, it has many uses. (bows, heat source, energy source, spears, eating the sprouts, etc.)

V. Learn to Make a Fire

Look up the different methods of fire making. Learn to use flint and steal, wood and stick, and 9 Volt battery and steal wool. The easiest to do is 9v battery and steal wool, but it you have to get more and more steal wool when needed.

B. The Day of Disaster

I. Get Stuff

Hopefully you have a backpack or some means of storage. Get it out, go through your house and grab anything and everything that can help you.

Things to take:
Pocket Knife(s)
Some sort of cord or rope (100ft)
non parishable food
Book on plants/animals
Seeds
Cell Phone (you may get it working)
Radio
Flashlight
Bandages
Thread and Needle
Blanket
3 Bug Spray Cans (depending on location)
Compass
Maps
Jacket
Beanie Hat
First Aid Kit
Pencil
Journal
(If there is anything else, please tell)

II. What to Wear
Jeans. Not tight or loose, ones with good movement.
Underwear, warm ones.
Longsleeved clothing, if its hot, pull up the sleeves, if its cold roll them down.
Long, Tight socks, to keep away ticks from your feet and protect from scratches.
Boots or hiking shoes. Just be smart. edit: also, wear dark clothing, not black, but dark grays, greens and browns.

III. Looting

Anything you may need, get it. Bring weapons of some sort. Not everyone is going to be peaceful.

IV. Find Shelter

Abandon your house, there WILL be theifs. Make sure you have what you need and get away. Find abandon places that people don't think about. If you don't mind the outdoors, live in the woods. Do not travel by day, travel around twilight, or at night.

To be continued at a later time...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Extra post just incase needed. I will be back to finish, don't worry, discuss if you like.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Good thread! and good start. I would add a couple items that don't take up much space.

Iodine pills. These can greatly reduce your absorbsion of radiation, should something like that happen.

Water purification tablets and canteens/jugs. Bleach can work, but the tabs take up less space. A good steel canteen would be best, but a couple of used water gallon jugs can be tied to a pack, and when empty, are very lightweight.

If you are taking the time to prepare ahead of time, get a magnesium fire starter with a flint(about $10). Magnesium scrapings go a long way, burn when wet, and burn so hot it will light just about anything you can find for kindling.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If the SHTF we planned on staying low, waiting until everyone else shot each other. Then go shopping, find a houseboat and get away from ALL people!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Nice list a couple thoughts to add would be a small hammock that is the size of your hand. this could come in handy for sleeping above the ground in the trees if you're in that type of enviornment. I'm a carpenter so i would throw in a hammer and maybe some chizels or something to help build or construct things.Just a few thoughts to add thanks

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
There are many skills needed to live through and apocalyptic situation. This will summarize all of the needed informations.

B. The Day of Disaster

I. Get Stuff......

Hmmm, don't you think it might be a good idea to have this BEFORE something happens??

And you seem to have forgotten one important thing. How about water? How are you going to clean it, filter it, transport it, store it?

III. Looting

Anything you may need, get it. Bring weapons of some sort. Not everyone is going to be peaceful.

So it's OK to kill someone else for what they have, simply because you didn't prepare correctly?

IV. Find Shelter

Abandon your house, there WILL be thieves. Make sure you have what you need and get away. Find abandon places that people don't think about. If you don't mind the outdoors, live in the woods. Do not travel by day, travel around twilight, or at night.

If it looks like a good place to hole up, others will think the same thing, too.

And travelling around by night or twilight is going to make it hard to scavange for much. And a light will draw people to you.

Just throwing ideas down to see who might pick them up.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I like running these scenarios in my head sometimes when I'm bored. While I hope it never happens, first thing I would do after establishing security at my home, is to gather a group of friends and seize a wal mart or 2.

That or buy a ranch in the middle of nowhere some time before X happens. Build the place up to be self sustaining and watch the fireworks.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Beanie hat?
What the hell is a beanie hat?
Somehow it doesn't sound like it would provide much protection.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
Beanie hat?
What the hell is a beanie hat?
Somehow it doesn't sound like it would provide much protection.

I think he means "Boonie hat", not an actual beanie with a propeller on top, tho I think in an post Apocalyptic situation, rocking around with one of those on would be hardcore.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Oh HELL yeah....made to deflect whatever the apocalypse throws at ya.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f60dc93a733.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Beanie - close fitting woollen cap with fold up edge. Keeps your scone warm in cold weather.

edited due to brain fart - just realised what the OP meant by the looting thing.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by tangotemper]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tangotemper

Didn't even think of that one. That's probably what he meant.

Tho I think the prop beanie would be way cooler to be wearing. I mean, the world has ended. Things are complete chaos.....

Are you going to take any crap from a guy wearing a propeller beanie in a situation like that?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by joe_dirt976
That or buy a ranch in the middle of nowhere some time before X happens. Build the place up to be self sustaining and watch the fireworks.

Except that in times of extreme duress, violent bands of men will be hitting farms houses and ranches that are secluded from law enforcement.

Think about it...isolated homes are vulnerable to marauders who will hole up in your joint, raping your women and children, then torturing and killing all of you when they're done.

In a meltdown, you need to be in the middle of a community that can guard itself from thugs. Isolation is certain death.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorian Guard

Depends... Though the poster is dead wrong on preparation it gives others a "reminder" that there will be nutcase looters running around trying to thieve and murder to get basic essentials because they did not prepare. Be ready for that.

Your going to have to eat... always, Having a year or two's worth of food at your place of residence is the smart thing to do.... If you buy what you eat, your going to eat it before it goes bad. Just Rotate it. It is not that difficult and if you haven't noticed.. can food prices DON'T DECREASE. That can of Tuna that you buy today for .75 cents may cost you $1.50 two years from now. I currently have Tuna on my kitchen that expires in October of 2010. I bought it about two years ago for 50 cents.... today it is 75 cents.

Why NOT pre-buy food at a lower price?

Isolation works if you have concealment. Nobody is coming to take your stuff or cause you harm if they do not know you are there.

A pre-planned underground shelter can take care of this.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorian Guard

Originally posted by joe_dirt976

Except that in times of extreme duress, violent bands of men will be hitting farms houses and ranches that are secluded from law enforcement.

Think about it...isolated homes are vulnerable to marauders who will hole up in your joint, raping your women and children, then torturing and killing all of you when they're done.

In a meltdown, you need to be in the middle of a community that can guard itself from thugs. Isolation is certain death.

Excellent point. Look at what regular citizens do in war zones, disaster areas, etc... Unless the military comes and forces them out, neighborhoods often band together to protect themselves and their property. If you go it alone, you are relying on "security through obscurity" (ie living your life in hiding), because you can get overwhelmed very quickly if bad people know where you are. Thugs will band together for an advantage... good people should do the same.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Agree. Stocking up on lightweight foods is a no-brainer, especially if your stocks are rotated. Worst case is you save some money. One of my favorite lightweight foods is Cream of Wheat - porridge. A person is going to need a water source regardless, and one tablespoon of dried cream of wheat is a survival serving, once hydrated and cooked.

A note about dried grains, if one lives in a hot climate: eggs of food-infesting insects are shipped with the foods (it's a by-product of milling and packaging) -- If you put the dried foods in a ziplock bag and freeze them for 24 hours, they can be safely packed away for a very long time without infestation occurring, as this kills the eggs. Of course, in a SitX, the bugs are more protein, however they eventually ruin the food.

The OP mentioned seeds, and I agree, however one needs foods while the survival garden is growing. Dried coconut can sustain a person for a very long time, insofar as maintaining nourishment. A note here: Aquire open-pollinated seeds, so they breed true and the seeds from crops can be saved and replanted.

[edit on 26/7/09 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Is there no edit button at all? Lots of great suggestions, When I find the edit button, I'll add them in.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I should have clarified to bring weapons for self defence. Not for killing. Thats what I ment by people not being peaceful, sorry.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
its a good idea to go through this kinda thing.
i am curently putting some thing like this together my self as ide rather have it than not, should the shtf, but i hope nothing happens.
any way i read some of the ideas on this thread, & ide suggest if you can manage it, get some thing to trade with like solid gold & silver coins, sure if things go realy crazy & their may well be nasty people best avoided, but its also likley you may be able to trade with other people & gold coins are small & keep some value compared to paper money.
but hey lets hope we all sigh in reliefe come 2013

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

yeah I already ate the 50 cents a can tuna already and NOW I'm eating the 88 cents a can tuna.
Gold went from 780 to 1100 an ounce.

And if you were smart enough to fill up a couple of gaylords with rice and pasta in mylar three years ago you would be giggling like a ninny right now.

~giggles like a ninny~

[edit on 18-1-2010 by The Utopian Penguin]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join