It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last surviving British soldier from World War I -- died Saturday at the age of 111,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I thought this was worth mentioning.
The last living memory of those horrible times gone for ever.

He fought and was seriously wounded in Ypres, Belgium, in 1917 at the Battle of Passchendaele, in which 70,000 of his fellow soldiers died -- including three of his close friends.

Born in 1898

edition.cnn.com...

Also worth pointing out to the "eleveners"
He died at the age of 111 as a vet from world war 1 in which we remember those who sacrificed for our freedom on 11 11 each year.
God bless you Harry Patch.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

I was out with relatives last weekend looking for graves of relatives in some small towns in Louisiana. In one of the cemetaries there were a lot of old graves, some from the civil war, and of course most of them were born in the 1800's.

How amazing this person lived to be 111! Can you just imagine the changes to the world this person saw in his lifetime?

How sad it is that the world went on to see a WW11. Let's hope we won't see a 3rd.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

My hat is off to the last dough-boy of England.
Rest in Peace soldier.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
RIP sir.

With him he takes the last of the true memories of such an age, and i'm sure i'm not alone when i say at least then we had true decent people defending our country and now we have idiots running the country and our boys and girls are dying for lies and corruption.

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
this means he wont be writing for FHM anymore...

RIP Sir.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
111 years old. Wow. He witnesses 20th century completely! Things that for me are just an old history ,black and white photos and books - he lived it all through! Not sure that i would go for living for 2 huge wars, or would like to be that old (i know 103 year old and it is hard, not to mention 111).
And as for having true descent people - i assure you that people are the same now. Boys (and girls now) are dying for the same stupid things in 1914 as they do die now. Politicians were as corrupted just you would never hear about it. WW1 is a war that should not happen. All sides (except US maybe) lost.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yes, the last memory of "those horrible" times are gone, but now we start a new dawn!

Now we will witness WW3 and remember it for many years to come!

And the funny thing is that now we are witnessing the EXACT same type of events happening that happened back then.

Such a great day it is........

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It was only the week before that his fellow veteran Henry Allingham died too.

Respect to them both.

Personally i think they should have got state funerals. If anyone is deserving, it is surely them.

Anyway, i won't forget these guys and the sacrifice they made.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
I thought this was worth mentioning.
The last living memory of those horrible times gone for ever.

He fought and was seriously wounded in Ypres, Belgium, in 1917 at the Battle of Passchendaele, in which 70,000 of his fellow soldiers died -- including three of his close friends.

Born in 1898

edition.cnn.com...

Also worth pointing out to the "eleveners"
He died at the age of 111 as a vet from world war 1 in which we remember those who sacrificed for our freedom on 11 11 each year.
God bless you Harry Patch.

1111 Damm thats crazy its like something or someone is trying to tell Humanity something. I hope we never have another world war again.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by othehitmans

July 31, 2009 = 11/11

7+3+1 = 11

2+0+0+9 = 11

Hm?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobbylove321
reply to post by othehitmans

July 31, 2009 = 11/11

7+3+1 = 11

2+0+0+9 = 11

Hm?

Interesting....July 31st is my birthday.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The worst thing about being a conspiracy theorist, is that most of us don't appreciate history, pr we look on history seeing the conspiracy and not the peoplle. This man had no clue of the illuminati, or conspiracies. He served his country bravely because his honour told him to.

We'd do well to learn lessons from this generation of sacrifice, god knows it couldn't happen now.

Respect to you sir, and all the fallen, you inspire and encourage me.

S&F

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

The worst thing about being a conspiracy theorist, is that most of us don't appreciate history, pr we look on history seeing the conspiracy and not the peoplle. This man had no clue of the illuminati, or conspiracies. He served his country bravely because his honour told him to.

We'd do well to learn lessons from this generation of sacrifice, god knows it couldn't happen now.

Respect to you sir, and all the fallen, you inspire and encourage me.

S&F

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Duplicate post- deleted

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Paschendale.Makes me think of Iron Maidens song Paschendale.I dread to think what those soldiers witnessed.
Brave men.

Harry was born the same year as my favourite old 'honourary' Aunt who passed at 98 years old.I was always fascinated by my Aunt,she had witnessed so much in her lifetime.....she buried her siblings,her husband,her lifelong friends and child...she saw 2 world wars....6 monarchs....many new inventions.Both Henry and Nellie saw so much and survived so much.

As my 'aunt' entered her final years,her sight failed completely and i will always remember what she said to me once,during one of our lengthy conversations regarding her blindness(i taped it too,hours of convo's with Aunt Nellie!).
I asked her about her being blind,just a general "how are you coping question",she shook her head and smiled and said:

"I cope fine in my home because i know where i am and where everything is,i've lived here for 60 years,i know every nook and cranny and can picture it all in my head".

And she did.She whizzed around that house and never misjudged a doorway or sideboard!Later,she went on to say this:
"The world changed so much,everyone so busy,always in a rush,people became selfish(skip)
I don't recognise the world anymore so,i'd rather not see it.It's not my world anymore and i feel like i've outstayed my welcome,like i've seen more than any one person should.Him upstairs has taken my eyes so i don't have to see the mess and evil.I close my eyes and i can see the world as 'I' remember it".
That part always made me sad

---------------------------------------------

RIP Henry and thank you x

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
( gets up and stands at attention).............................................................................................................SALUTE..........

God Bless you Brother......

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I can only imagine the hardships and horrors he and his buddies went though during the time served they in the Military.

A true brave hero.

Rest in peace.

top topics

join