It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motivation: What Drives You?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ah but you must both remember that some believe that if they "win" the argument they are right, thus the attacks and etc. But mostly I agree.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Or sometimes the motive might simply be to contradict someone you dislike.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I guess what drives me is knowledge, understanding and truth. What gets me out of bed every day is the knowing that i will learn something new and have another piece of the epic jigsaw puzzle of life. If only i could find the ones that got lost before i got it! I swear the amount missing its as if i brought it from a charity shop lol.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think most people, including myself, are driven by the primary motivation:

To be loved
To be right and not be wrong
To look good
To survive

This brings to mind for me, the end of the St. Francis Prayer

God, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.
Amen.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Omegapoint, "looking good" never crossed my mind! Thank you for bringing this one up. The billions upon billions of dollars spent in our country every year for products, clothing, and surgeries speaks for itself.

We are very motivated to look good. I suposed every individual has their own motive for wanting to look good. Some are looking for a mate, others just looking for attention. I'm not looking for either, but still I want to look good. I can't think why? Pride?

Of course we want to stay clean, and look nice. But we go way beyond that.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Peoples are like onions...
When You peel enough of layers of their personalities, starting from the most external, social ones like need of being right, of importance, need to teach ones own wisdom to the others
etc, with simpler needs in the middle. Agresivity, need to be accepted etc there, and in the real centre, in the heart of their being its probably always one thing: need to love ...
No matter are you "gay rights activist" or on the other side of that spectrum biblical Christian the deepest and the most universal, elementary motivation it must be that: LOVE
Seems to be good theory??

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think the "love" theory is a wonderful and noble theory. But unfortunately many others don't experienc this. Motivations can be very strong. So strong they can override goodness and mercy.

The need for power can overshadow the need for love, for example.

The love for one's self, often overshadow's the love for others.

Let's face it! Some people are motivated by greed and hatred. For example, if someone has an extreme "need to be right". And another person explicitly proves them "wrong", then they, consequently, can develop a pure hatred for that person. All assoications with that person in the future will be based on hatred of that person. As twisted as it may be.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

You are right but I mean Real Core. You know like with that wooden marionettes...depends what costume you put upon them they can be a Princess or Bad Sorcerer
-basic, organising principle, the core is always the same.
But in real life its as you say, the external mostly, ego created layers rule.
It could be very, really...well...annoing
but at the same time it makes life interesting and worth living...

[edit on 25-7-2009 by ZenOnKwalsky]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I forgott to ad that even knowing that somewhere inside we are the same, and loving them as our brethren we need to oppose, even fight them because we are clad by some Puppet Masters in the "costumes" of opposing factions...
The problem is how to balance that two feelings... most of the times "knowing the essence" changes nothing-we cant abandon our eartly duties...question for the Etics experts and anyway every situation is different...thats lives all about

[edit on 25-7-2009 by ZenOnKwalsky]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
My drive to seek and spread the truth is fueled by both compassion and selfish reasons. Through compassion, and as a male, I want to make this world a better place for life, women and children, a better place for souls to be reborn. Honestly, behind compassion, there is a selfish reason, and that is because giving = receiving. By helping others, I am helping myself along the spiritual path, and the more people that have peace of mind, the more I will be able to live without my mind and just receive and reflect the life that is coming to me in the Present.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I cannot believe I forgot this..lol

The five theories of motivation: Instinct Theory, Drive Reduction Theory, Arousal Theory, Psychoanalytic Theory, and Humanistic Theory.

Instinct Theory

According to the instinct theory we are all driven by biological needs to accomplish necessity. For Instance the spider weeves a web, not because it has to, but because it is instinct. Its natural and is a necessity to survive.

Again with instinct motivation is rooted into our genes. For instance again with the spider. The spider has never seen a web, but it builds a web because its in its genes and instincts. Much like a baby who cries, that is also instinct and motivation. Basically, the premise is that motivation derives from instinct and therefore, derives from nature.

Drive Reduction Theory

Basically this theory consists of motivation in the biology of humans. However, this biology in humans is to reduce the pain and avoid pain at all costs, basically to make us happy. Like hunger and thirst, do to motivation we will work to reduce these needs (tension) to achieve a internal balance or equallibrium.

Arousal Theory

This theory is somewhat similar to the drive theory however, this thery states that we are not meant to reduce tension, but to have an equal amount of calmness and tension, so that way motivation can be balanced in the need for self reliance and the need to avoid sociological seperation or sociological gathering.

Psychoanalytic Theory

And yes this refers to Freud..lol.. As we all know he believed in life and death as awareness and the basic human drives. One is to ensure our survival and the other is prevent our destruction. In this theory it suggest that motivation is purely psychological and not an instinct, but a "time" type of thing. Like a time period type of way. For instance in today's world: We go to school to ensure our survival of finance and shelter, as well to profit from this so that way future generations will be secure. Bascially, everything originates from the Eros and Thanatos, life and death drives.

Humanistic Theory

This theory is best explained by Maslows Hierarchy of Needs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e9f3f30906e.gif[/atsimg]

The Humanistic theory states that humans are driven to achieve their maximum potential and will always do so unless potential problems and issues arise in their journey. These obstacles include hunger, thirst, financial problems, safety issues, or anything else that takes our focus away from maximum psychological growth. Basically, in this, motivation is the need to reach the top of the pyramid, which is the ultimate goal and according to Maslow, no one has yet to reach the top of the pyramid. But we are always striving for it or we should at least always strive for it.

Whew! I hope that helps a little bit.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Very true. Not that I understand that one. I tend to try to ignore those I dislike even exist as it makes life far more pleasant to me.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

What otherwise might be the motivation?

So my motivation here in making this thread is for the most part curiosity.
I want to know what you think, and how you feel about this subject.

Speaking strictly to my time here...

First of all, I like to read. It doesn't matter whether I agree with what is being said because good writing is in itself a reward for the time you spend with it.

Second, I like to pound this keyboard. I go through at least two (keyboards) a year doing just exactly what I am doing right now. Besides ATS, I have a blog (Just a little podunk thing that relates to the community where I live) and spend time at other sites with similar topics as this one.

Third, I guess I am looking to learn something new. Every time a piece pops about 2012 or anomalies on the moon or lost civilizations or disclosure or 9.11 or... or... (You get the picture) I have to check it all out. I figure that someday, somehow... some portion of what is speculated here will, in fact, turn out to be fact.

**On a side note to the emotional thing, 'hate' in particular, I really don't think many of us will ever experience real hate in our life times. Hate is, after all, the opposite of love and we all know how rare true love is. We may quite dislike something but... true hate is a singularly destructive thing and it does not allow the host much inner contemplation time of it.

Good post and subject to think about... thanks

[edit on 26-7-2009 by redoubt]

[edit on 26-7-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Whoops forgot about emotion, what am I doing..lol..

Emotion and motivation go together hand in hand. Indeed, emotions play an important part in our lives, and even more so in self improvement. Often times, successful people are those who know how to take control of their emotions and use it to their benefit. The best sportsmen and women are able to stay calm in the heat of the competition. And whenever they meet setbacks, they usually come right back immediately with a crushing performance and winning streak.
Emotion and Motivation!

Emotion and motivation go hand in hand. That makes a lot of sense if you consider it and think about it. For instance, if you were raised abused you would still have those emotions of what you went through correct? So therefore, your motivation maybe to either spread awareness based on that experience or kill every abuser in the world (its just an example). And if hate is your emotion, then you will be run by the motivation of hate. It makes sense and it adds some good creedence to theories and understanding of society and most importantly the individual.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Right!!!! Emotions are Natural, Elemental Powers closed within us!!!! You can use it to "sail"or "surf" either it will be damaging force apearing in ones live in the less expected moment...
It seem that present education model is not so good in ordering them. The peoples of Old School seem to be much better "put togheter" why ?? maybe because there was no tv in the olden times
??? Images are very important in "programing" or "dressing " positve, helpfull emotions, and television, all mass media are in 90% harmfull in that respect.

Is it NWO conspiracy- why educational system changed so much creating so much dissorderly peoples or simply: the appearent "better" is, as always worst enemy of the tested "good"???
Anywy Our rulers seemingly dont need so much strong well put togheter individuals- rather chasing "happiness"consummers that they can put in front of the tv and hipnotise again and again.
The question is: do they I mean "NWO families" use modern or old styled education methods for their children???)

[edit on 26-7-2009 by ZenOnKwalsky]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jethro Tull

Jethro Tull!!! Congratulations!! (Hear bells ringing, and see confetti and balloons dropping from the ceiling).

You are officially the first person on this thread to claim ownership of a motive that is not completely self-less!

Best Regards in your humanness!!
ladyinwaiting

[edit on 7/26/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Myth, my man, thank you so much for this thoughtful and very informative information. You are always amazingly thorough when commenting on something that interests you.

If I may, with all due respect make a few comments.

The Instinct theory: This is something entire books have been written about, and it has been debated for decades. Does modern man have instincts?
I know it seems like a silly question, because most of us, in fact, believe we do. But it is commonly thought, now, that homo sapiens do not, in fact, have instincts. Odd? Yes. At one point "they", the scholars, researchers, scientists, I presume, had gotten it down that we have ONE. That one they believed, was a newborn baby's instinct to suckle. However, after apparently much study and debate on the matter, they eventually decided this, too, like breathing, is only a reflex.
It seem so odd that we would not, when the rest of the animal kindom clearly does???? But at this point, most agree, we do not have instincts.

Ahhh. Dr. Freud. But how can we discuss his theory on anything without includng the powerful sex drive? Freud believed most things were motivated by the sex drive. Getting out of bed in the morning (or not!) was motivated by the sex drive. This stubborness to entertain otherwise actually contributed to his demise, particularly after his death.
Because "sometimes a snake is just a snake".

And Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. I adore his thoughts on this, and have had them memorized for many years. In fact, I was going to include them in the OP, but sadly, I lost my motivation. Thank you so much for including them here, and for giving us such good information to ponder.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

So in other words you are usually motivated by intellectual pursuits.
No one has come out and said this, but probably mostly people who are members of ATS share the same.

Edit to add: Awesome avy!

[edit on 7/26/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Thanks for the kind words.

The Instinct theory: This is something entire books have been written about, and it has been debated for decades. Does modern man have instincts?

Probably very few, but i personally do not think we do. Thats what seperates us from the animals. Example: Most men nowadays cannot hunt..lol.. Instinct disappears with environment I believe. No longer is it the person that can hunt the most or gather the most food, its the person who has the most money. But I suppose we are not all that different. But then again those aren't really instincts.. Just different motivations.

yes, I do not like Freud. i usually bash him..lol.. and discredit him, sometimes.

Its no problem (including) Maslow belonged in here somewhere and somehow.

[edit on Jul 26th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Funny I was just reading today about the Dalai Lamas motivation and what lies behind it. His answer was so simple I thought Id share it with you when I saw your thread.

He says motivation is very important. Motivation should be pure and sincere and should be based on kindness, compassion and respect for others. He says before you do or say anything to stand back and check that you mean no harm and that your motivation is sincere . If your motivation is sincere in whatever you do your actions can not fail. With sincere and compassionate motivation it does not matter if you do not reach your goal or complete the task, there should be no regret because your motivation was from the heart and you did your absolute best in the situation.

Not bad things to be motivated by at all.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Mr Green]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join