It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motivation: What Drives You?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Human Beings are described as having true drives, such as hunger, thirst, sex, and staying free from pain. There have been myriads of books and articles written on the subject, and some people even make their living from giving motivational speeches. I believe we understand the degree to which motivations effect our lives, and it is not my intention here to write a dissertation about it, nor is it necessary. My motivation for editing this thread will become clear shortly.

First, let's establish a working definition.

Motivation is the underlying cause of the reasons we do the things we do.

It is what activates our behavior.

We cannot really talk about motivation without addressing our needs. We wish to have our needs met. In accomplishing this, some of our motivations have conscious intent, while other's have unconscious intent. Is one more important than the other? We have biological/physical needs, emotional needs, spiritual needs, intellectual needs, and so forth. Are we good at identifying which need we are trying to fulfill when we act? Or are we mostly acting on an unconscious level?

Here is a list of possible motivations for one's actions just as an example:

To acquire, or possess.
To punish.
To control.
To assist.
To know.
To learn.
To teach.
To protect.
To atone.
To love.
To belong, or gain affiliation.
To accomplish.
To avoid illness.
To humiliate.
To pursue integrity.
To make a profit.
Curiosity.
To gain affirmation.
To validate.
To harm.

We are also motivated by emotions:

Anger.
Sorrow.
Guilt.
Shame.
The need to be right. (I didn't know where else to put this, but it had to be included).
Love.
Compassion.
Despair.
Happiness.
Hatred.
.....and so forth.

Any manner in which you choose to respond to this subject will be appreciated. It is, in a way, a chance to get to know one another better, and I think we all find the motives of others interesting, and sometimes unexpected.

But for my case in point:
Why do people on ATS respond to OP's and other posters the way thay do? I see threads flowing along, and everybody is respectful and offering different viewpoints, and then suddenly BOOM. Someone comes along and is disrespectful, is off topic by not only dismissing the topic, but focusing on whatever negatives they can imagine or make-up about the poster him/herself. Is unnecessarily insulting. Wallowing in hatefulness and negativity if you will, and attempting to bring everybody down into the mire with them.

What's that about?

I have only been on ATS for a relatively short period of time, and I have already gained four foes. Of the four, only one of them do I actually "know" and have communicated with on a thread. (He has since been banned). But the other three I had no idea who they were, or why they gave me this status. I tried checking their profiles to see where we might have "met", but remain clueless as to why they would use this means to disagree with me. Why not just address what you disagree with in the thread in plain view? (Isn't this a kind of "cowardice" .. to run behind your back because they don't think they can stand toe to toe with you?) Am I wrong to think this?

What otherwise might be the motivation?

So my motivation here in making this thread is for the most part curiosity.
I want to know what you think, and how you feel about this subject.

I appreciate your responses.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I believe I omitted to remark on two very important human motivations.

These are:

Aggression.
Hedonistic pursuits. (Yes, we want to have fun).

Studies show that frustration generally leads to aggression, and that this very uncomfortable feeling of frustration is often alleviated when acted upon, that is, to behave aggressively, either physically or verbally.

[edit on 7/25/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Side note: I don't think you will get what you are asking for except a bunch of bs justification but that is just my opinion.

I never try to drag threads down so I don't really know. My whole motivation is to learn and to debate. More or less. Though sometimes that purpose gets diluded. Largely because I have a bad habit of meeting aggression with aggression and not backing down.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I think we all feel that way at times. We all like to make our points and have it be confirmed or denied, but in a respectul manner. Some people just won't back down. So, then, again out of curiousity and in keeping with the thread, what motivates you towards aggression, and refusing to back down? Seriously. Is that...pride? Or what?

(I don't like backing down either, but I will if things get, as you say, too diluted or just plain mean). I think my "integrity" kicks in. lol.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Oh, I didn't mean so much as insult wars going out of control. What I meant is I will not and cannot concede a point *can't think of a better phrase* when I think it's false and I state why I think it's false. Even when it borders on an insult as I am simply speaking my mind and generally not meaning insult so much as calling it as I see it. Rather than just ignoring it. I think my post history would show that should you check.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Love. It is what inspired the ideas to save the world I include in my book.

That is my prime motivating factor.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

No, no didn't mean it that way. I see you around the boards, and don't perceive you as a rude person at all. Just wondering about "what drives you".

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Hi there ladyinwaiting,
Im driven to make order out of chaos. Making something solid out of threads.
Crochet, music without words, art,research neverending,gorilla gardening,the list goes on and on.
Magantice

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Oh, I stand corrected.
Sorry? What I would love to do is help bring about understanding and tolerance. But I rather think that is impossible *or near as it can be to* for various reasons. Better?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Motivation, the word that allows us to write these threads and posts. I think I like to run on the motivation of love, I rather be loved then feared and I rather do something to someone, rather then just standing and doing nothing.

But lets not forget, the factor of laziness the otherside of motivation.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

...It is, in a way, a chance to get to know one another better, and I think we all find the motives of others interesting, and sometimes unexpected.

I agree - what motivates us is endlessly fascinating

one of my personal favorite things: what are other people's favorite things? :-)

so - to answer your question - I'm motivated by many things - like everybody - but one of my main motivations is understanding what makes people tick

in particular - I love to know what makes other people laugh

it will be interesting to see what people have to say about all this

Why do people on ATS respond to OP's and other posters the way thay do? I see threads flowing along, and everybody is respectful and offering different viewpoints, and then suddenly BOOM. Someone comes along and is disrespectful, is off topic by not only dismissing the topic, but focusing on whatever negatives they can imagine or make-up about the poster him/herself. Is unnecessarily insulting. Wallowing in hatefulness and negativity if you will, and attempting to bring everybody down into the mire with them.

well for one thing - everybody perceives things differently - and expresses themselves in their own way - it's absolutely inescapable

you'll never get around this I'm afraid - but - why would you want to? :-)

for myself - it's one of the single most interesting things about ATS and reading through these threads - the different reactions

it would be beyond boring if we all responded in only just one "flavor" and that flavor was polite and respectful - especially if we all agree that none of us agrees on what's polite and respectful

I understand that many will disagree - but the thing that always strikes me is how easily some people are offended - and others are rarely ever offended - all in the same conversation

...I have only been on ATS for a relatively short period of time, and I have already gained four foes. Of the four, only one of them do I actually "know" and have communicated with on a thread...

foes will come and go - no point in worrying about it

once you get over the need for people to like you it will affect you not at all

in the end you'll know who your real friends are - and the rest will just be names at the bottom of your profile page :-)

[edit on 7/25/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

What drives you?- Truth.

My motivation in life has always been learning- acquiring knowledge, and understanding the universe.

I've already find "a truth" that resonates with me and therefore adopted it. I'm satisfied with what I'd discovered in my path.

However that doesn't mean I'll ever stop looking and learning about -all that IS-.

My motivation of being here in the forum is curiosity- what are other's people's thoughts and ideas about the world they develop in.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Days like today I'm not very motivated. I just want to go back to sleep! But I can't or my whole sleeping pattern could be thrown off. So, I'm motivated by a desire not to feel even less motivated in the future.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMythLives

But lets not forget, the factor of laziness the otherside of motivation.

Too true. The days I have when my motive is to do as little as possible!

[edit on 7/25/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Great thread. Here are some of the things that motivate me, from the list in your opening post. I never really thought about what motivates me until I read this thread; it's a subconscious thing.

• To accomplish - To solve problems instead of running away from them. To live a good, fulfilled life. To overcome my fears and troubles.
  • To know - To know the truth, and not the lies.
  • To learn - To learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of others. To increase my knowledge of the universe. To understand why we are here, living this life. To learn new things that will benefit others in certain situations.
  • To love - To love everyone and everything as best I can, no matter how they look or how they speak. To love and appreciate life, human and animal, and treat both with equal respect.
  • To protect - To protect myself and others. To keep people and animals safe and look after them.
  • To teach - To teach people what is truth, and open their minds to new possibilities.
  • To validate - To always double check what I'm doing. To make sure people receive the right information. To find out what is truth, and what isn't.

That's all I can think of right now

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
My motivation for the threads I create, is primarily intelligent conversation. I find that some people attempt to hide their feelings about a certain subject which seems to impede on their ability to converse in these forums openly and intelligently.

I see others who simply don't know what tact is make off the wall comments and ludicrous claims simply to get a rise out of people. I do the opposite. I will write a meaningfull, well written OP, that might make points that are a little "sensitive" but otherwise ok.

I like for people to express themselves fully without the need for negative rhetoric and personnal attacks. My approach seems to work as some of my more riske threads have gone splendidly well without much need for mod intervention or things of that nature.

The truth would also be a big contributor in the making of my threads. I enjoy taking an idea I have, writing it out and seeing if anybody can give me a better answer than the one that I came to.

It's all a process of learning for me, but it can only be done by intelligent and well written replies and OP's which serve not to enrage people but to either educate, or open the door to conversations which will become educational.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

Ahh, and what a noble list you have. These are all worth striving for.
But I wonder, have they all really been unconsious? Do you ever make lists when you have a great many things to do? (Check!) (to accomplish)

Do you read books, and either go or have gone to school? (to learn).
When you see someone who is mistaken, or about to make a huge mistake, do you try to guide them in the right direction? And in doing so, is your intent to truly help them rather than show off how much you know?
(to teach)

You simply haven't given these actions a name. Your motivations are pure and honest. I enjoyed reading them, and thank you for posting them here. You, sir, are a good person.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Thank you

Well, maybe subconscious was the wrong term to use. It's just I never stopped to think what my motivations for life are, it seems to just happen automatically, naturally. It's true I do all these things daily, but never really recognised it

Starred and flagged though, it's a cool topic!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Excellent reply. Oh, if all of ATS only had the same motivation! Also, the threads that are "a little sensitive", are most often the very best ones.

And I mostly definitely agree on the personal attacks. Attack the subject matter as much as you please, that's why it is there...for all manner of discussion....but attacking individuals is so pompous and devitalizing.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Yup I agree.

It serves nothing but to derail a conversation and from that point on, there is no point in continuing because others will simply look for an outlet to throw their frustrations out.

This is why I am an avid user of the "ALERT" button in threads that I author. But not for people who disgree, but for people who do not know the meaning of the word TACT.

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join