It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pre-School Kids Shoot Each Other In US

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Pre-School Kids Shoot Each Other In US

news.sky.com

Two children of pre-school age have shot and wounded other youngsters in separate incidents in the US.

A three-year-old boy shot his four-year-old brother in Gray Court, South Carolina, with a .22-calibre handgun.

The injured child, who was airlifted to hospital with a gunshot wound to his stomach, has undergone surgery and is expected to recover.

In the other incident, a two-year-old girl is in a critical condition in hospital after being shot by her four-year-old brother at their home in Las Vegas.

Officers are investigating how the boy managed to get hold of the 9mm handgun he fired at his sister.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25/7/09 by CX]

CX

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Although i don't always agree with some of the weapons that the US public can own, i understand thats just the way it is over there.

What i cannot understand though, is why people cannot keep a gun away from tiny kids until they grow up?

I don't care if it's the norm to have guns lying around the house, or for your kids to see you with a gun 24/7, give a kid 2 minutes alone with a weapon they are not trained to use, and you have an accident waiting to happen.

In this case, they are hardly old enough to know what one is.

A tragic accident which could have been so easily averted had the parents given it a bit more thought.

All i ever hear on here is how the British people won't understand about gun ownership because it's something our US members have lived with and grown up with since birth.

In that case, shouldn't gun safety be second nature then?

I know this is not always the case, but some people really do need some sense slapping into them. Unfortunately this often comes by way of an injured or dead child.

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25/7/09 by CX]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

What i cannot understand though, is why people cannot keep a gun away from tiny kids until they grow up?

Because there are a lot of idiots out there - including parents.

I grew up around guns - never had one negative incident in my house. Because my parents were responsible. Unfortunately we can not force every human being to be responsible without having too much government in our lives.

Despite the idiots - the accidents compared to non accidents in homes with guns is at least lower - allowing the responsible people to maintain their gun ownership.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Aside from the waiting period you Americans have, there should also be an I.Q. test to see if you are atleast above average intelligence. that way there would be not as many deaths.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I am all for gun ownership rights. I believe its the only way to stay safe in these insane times that we live in. Bu I also believe in little thing called common sense. Something that the parents of these kids have lost faith in i guess, or lost it some where along the way. If you are smart enough to handle a gun and actually be a freaking parent, the least you can do is assure minimum safety of your kids and put the gun to a place where little kids CAN NOT find it.

You really have to be a first class idiot to leave a gun hanging around the house like that. These people don't deserve to bear arms for this stupidity which might have cost them their childrens' life!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
What I find somewhat amusing is the inevitable media focus this will inspire in those who will contend this is a reason to challenge the Second Amendment.

In fact, it is an offense which should be recognized as somewhat criminal. Parents and gun owners should be responsible for securing their weapons around children. Assuming that was defeated by circumstance well, that's what judges are for.

Anyone I know who enjoys their freedom to bear arms, recognizes the responsibility that comes along with this inalienable right.

Gun safes, vaults, locking cabinets, trigger lock, and deeply serious indoctrination into gun safety is the standard course of experience for their children.

But will the media point this out? Or will they simply portray the sensational angle of the tragic stories. Unrelated, yet collected together in one article to increase the scale of the tragedy.

I hate to see social-engineering "ham-handedly" slathered onto the public psyche which can only lead to diminishing the potential strength of any unorganized militia - which is what is keeping us from being 'prey' to any armed 'domestic' threat.

Paranoid?... perhaps a bit, yes.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
A friend of mine a good 15 years ago, was ex military. He had a few guns, and 2 kids. SO we often tlked abuot guns, hs experinces in Panama in 1988...and even he used to PREACH!!! IF yuo own a gun, yuo keep it locked up safe..as RESPONSABLITY, ESPECIALLY if thiers kids in the house. Ammuntion yuo keep on the other side of the house, and you NEVER ever leave a gun loaded in the house. EVER...
its really sad, how some grown ups, with education, can be such stupid meatheads. Sorry, but i think if thier kid got ahold of of their gun,t hey should automatically loose thier 'priveldge' for owning one. Obviously, he/she has jsut demonstartted they are incapable of keepnig a dangerous weapon locked away form unsuspecting children who dont realize the ramifications of the aftermath.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Considering we have 100 million guns / owners, and at least 1% (I am being generous here) are idiots, our accident rates and little children shooting each other are not extreme.

I find it funny that this made UK headlines... kind of like "SEE, You don't need guns citizens (or subjects /serfs), only your overlords and the criminals should have them

Let's be frank... It isn't a freeking peaceful Utopia over there in the UK.

Five children shot or stabbed in London EVERY day

www.dailymail.co.uk...

(summarized comments from 2008 article)

Five children are shot or stabbed in London every day, shocking new figures reveal.

The statistics show that in the eight-month period:

• A total of 321 children were injured in shootings, 39 of them seriously.

• Eighty-eight children were shot in armed muggings and two were injured in gunpoint rapes.

• A total of 952 children were stabbed, 188 of them seriously.

• Some 288 children were hurt in knifepoint robberies and 10 were stabbed in rapes.

Pretty good number of SHOOTINGS for a place with no firearms... Oh wait..... I forgot, your criminals have firearms.. and you don't????

I don't even want to go into regular crime and the inability to defend yourselves without getting prosecuted over there. We think your all crazy.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

We have been pushing for an I.Q. test for our elected representatives but that ain't werkin' out too well. I agree though that some people should not be allowed a pair of round tipped safety scissors let alone a firearm!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LyricusMagna

At least the idiocy will not progress into the next generation this way.
Natures way of stopping the 'idiot' gene.
The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

If parents were still allowed to discipline them, took the time to teach them and were held more responsible, alot of this crap probably wouldnt happen.

Wonder if they've ever heard of a trigger lock? Apparently not.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

In that case, shouldn't gun safety be second nature then?

Yes, yes it should. It is with me and mine.

Unfortunately, one of the consequences of dumbing down America is that not everyone dumbs down at the same rate. We have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, but every right comes with consequences. We keep hearing about our rights and how they are being infringed upon (which is true), but we never hear about the consequences of practicing those rights.

Two families are now suffering the consequences of practicing their rights in an unsafe (and IMHO idiotic, leaving guns available to children that young unsupervised) manner. My heart goes out to them. Four people are going through pure emotional hell, two children are hurt severely and will no doubt bear psychological wounds long after the physical ones have healed, and two more must deal with the results of their actions at a tender age well prior to where anyone should have to suffer such a moral test. This is about more than just gun rights; it is also about responsibility, parenting, and actually trying to raise your children as opposed to letting them raise themselves. There is no winner here, only losers.

But there is a lesson, and one that needs to be taught to everyone. So a flag is definitely in order.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
Aside from the waiting period you Americans have, there should also be an I.Q. test to see if you are atleast above average intelligence. that way there would be not as many deaths.

We have a wainting period? That is news to me. I live in Oklahoma and if I want handgun, rifle or, shotgun, all I have to do is go fill out paper work for the NICS and get some rounds and leave with my new firearm. I know some very low IQ people that I would trust my families life to when it comes to firearms. IQ says nothing.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

In many states if you don't already have a permit to carry concealed or a permit to buy, the waiting period comes into play. It's anywhere from 5 days to 30 days depending on your state! You go through the NICS but you still have to wait!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
That's sick.

Remember this?

en.wikipedia.org...

The Buell Elementary School shooting was a school shooting that occurred at Buell Elementary School in Mount Morris Township, Michigan, United States on February 29, 2000. 6-year-old Dedrick Owens fatally shot another student in a classroom before being taken into police custody. Buell Elementary School closed in 2002.[1] It was part of the Beecher Community School District.
The incident began when 6-year-old Dedrick Owens found a .32-caliber handgun in his uncle's home,[2][3] and brought the firearm to Buell Elementary School. Further in the day, during a changing of classes, Owens fatally shot 6-year-old Kayla Rolland in the presence of a teacher and 22 students. The bullet entered her right arm and traveled through her vital organs. At 10:59 a.m. EST, Rolland was pronounced dead at Hurley Medical Center while in cardiac arrest.[4]

I can't wait to leave this country! When I'm all done with school.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
My dad has always kept guns. He showed us what firearms could do and how to be safe. If he wasn't using them they were locked away. That being said I grew up with a very disturbed older brother. Anything that he was not allowed to do was a challenge for him. He learned to pick locks or found hidden keys. If my parents were gone he would get into the guns, car, booze you name it.

While it seemed my father took all the proper precautions his first mistake was underestimating my brother. If you have a child like my brother than maybe you shouldn't have guns, cars, booze, knives or maybe they should be kept in a cage as his fists were deadly weapons. The only thing that kept me safe was staying as far away from him as I could.

No it's not the guns that are the deadly weapon it's clueless, dysfunctional parents who underestimate their children. Because my parents couldn't or wouldn't control my brother should others be penalized? If that's the case then we should outlaw all sharp objects, cars and fire.

I always felt if LE would've threatened my parents with jail or fines they would have kept a closer eye on him. They knew how awful he was yet they didn't want to deal with it and unleashed him on society. He was a deadly weapon with or without a gun. Idk we can't protect everyone from the products of dysfunctional parenting and it's a shame when the innocent get hurt. I say punish the parents harshly make them take full responsibility not society.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Some parents are IDIOTS with guns. I have a daughter and am also a gun owner but we make SURE our daughter has NO access to the guns. We live in kind of a bad area and I always keep one gun out but its always on me, my daughter has no access to it at all. All my other weapons are locked up safely.

But no way in hell I'd ever get rid of my guns, where we live the gangbangers have them so I'll have them too to protect my family.

Also I teach my daughter about guns and that they can be and are VERY deadly. Its all about what you teach them, imo.

Shame on these parents.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Dont forget to lock up those car keys too.

Malden, MO (KAIT) - An early morning accident sent a 10-year old boy to the St. Louis Children's Hospital after crashing his family's Chevrolet Cavalier at Lincoln Lacy Chevrolet in Malden, according to police. Police said the crash happened at 4:30 Friday morning on Business Highway 25. Police said the car entered a ditch next to Memorial Park Cemetery before going airborne into a utility pole, light pole and 2 other cars. The car ended its journey upside down in the ditch.Source

There aught to be a law.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Gun ownership is a right just as free speech is a right. Just because we have these rights doesn't mean that we should exercise those rights in all circumstances. If you are really mad at your employer, for example, you DO have the right to curse at him and pitch a fit. Does that mean you should? No, it doesn't.

Just because some people irresponsibly choose to exercise a right does not mean that their right to exercise that right should be taken away. Instead, they should be made to suffer the consequences of their choice to exercise that right.

You never hear about the millions of people who responsibly exercise their rights because there is no story there... the only reasons to print a story about a gun accident is either to imprint lessons others have learned from being irresponsible or to advance gun control. Unfortunately, I don't think the media is really concerned with teaching lessons to people... more often it is solely for the purpose of advancing gun control OR in the case of the U.K. as a way to reinforce gun control.

[edit on 26/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

new topics

top topics

join