It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerns over fines by 'bouncers' and security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Concerns over fines by 'bouncers' and security

news.bbc.co.uk

New police-style powers being given to civilians could create a third-tier police force, magistrates have warned.

Powers introduced in autumn 2008 mean over 1,400 people can issue penalty notices and instant fines for offences from dog fouling to public disorder.

The Magistrates' Association in England and Wales is concerned about bouncers and private security staff having access to the police database.

The Home Office says those using the powers have been vetted and trained.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This should NOT be allowed.

I don't know what the security are like where you live, but in my local area, bouncers are quite corrupt, as are private security firms. I really think this is a step backwards, as unlike the police who do have to deal with a large amount of red tape and buerocracy, security personnel and especially bouncers are known for illegitimate dealings and corruption.

Seriously this is getting more like Orwell's 1984 every day.

I understand the changes came about in 2008, but i seriouslky think this needs to be highlighted.

Opinions please.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

This is the Governements attemps of trying to control evry citizen in the UK. I can gurantee those whom have been given this law, will use this to profit from it. Those whom those bouncers or security officers do not like will face the brunt of this.

They should not be given this power full stop.

We will probably see some cases going to court.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Your private security system is a bit different than ours in the States. There is no way a privately run outfit has that kind of power ... well, not yet anyway.
In most communities we do allow cops to 'moonlight' ... do security work for private companies when not on duty. And they have the power to arrest individuals and if they witness a crime being committed. A cop is a cop - on duty or off. When I owned my tavern I had two guys from the local P.D. work alternate weekends as door bouncers - and they weren't cheap! However, from a security point of view, worth every penny.
But security personal who work for private firms cannot issue tickets or make arrests. All they can do is hold individuals until the proper police arrive to sort it out.
Oh, and another difference - our 'private cops' can get a certification to carry a firearm. Personally, I find that a bad thing.

I believe Laurauk is absolutely right - this is corruption just waiting to happen, IMHO.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

What you are going to end up with is every busybody that thinks everybody else should live the way they think you should will be out there causing utter chaos with the rest of the citizenry. I foresee many instances of these clowns ending up in the gutter with a few thousand in dental work needed! This is law enforcement on the cheap and the bureaucrats trying to get more revenue for the buck. A really stupid idea in any country that might try it. They are laying the ground work right now here in the US for just such a force!
Damn fools!!
Zindo

[edit on 7/25/2009 by ZindoDoone]

top topics

join