It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outcry over disowned Rape Girl

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I just love how these "holier than thou types," are quick to help someone in trouble that has got the media machine behind them. However, these very people that are bending over backwards to help this poor unfortunate little girl, have children in their own communities and neighborhoods that need the same kind of help and assistance, however, they don't have the media support behind them and yet they go unnoticed.

To me, I think these potential parents and supporters suffer from vanity by acts such as this. Where were these same people that walk past a homeless person asking for a warm meal or that child who is sleeping in a tent with their mother and father? Where the hell is the outpouring support for them? However, these people remain nameless and in the shadows on the very fringe of society. These stories about all these donations and potential adoptive parents opening their homes in cases like this doesn't sit well with me. I think these parents and donors have a sadistic intent for 20 seconds of fame and the right to tell their neighbors and dinner guests that they helped the poor unfortunate Liberian girl, and as a result, stroke their egos. They will highlight this until the cows come home and wear their good deed like a badge of honor for everyone to see. If these folks want to help, maybe they should start in their own communities; because stories like this are happening close to home.

I'm not trying to sound callous to the victim but toward the "holier than thou," quick to jump on the bandwagon with stories like this. I vehemently despise rapists and they deserve to be tried to the furthest extent of the law. Shame on the parents as well for their callousness toward their baby girl.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This is more to do with a lack of education and primitiveness and not religion or culture.

Liberia is overwhelmingly Christian and closely tied with the US. Liberia was founded by the US to return freed slaves to Africa. Culturally it is both American and African and long ignored by the US. Those living in Liberia are probably the descendants of slaves that built the White House and much of the District of Columbia.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Yup, these "holier than thou types" are a bit sanctimonious when it comes to other peoples. They forget that worse happens due to people much like them. The irony is that Liberians are their own kith and kin. They were originally Americans.

The history of Liberia is unique among African nations, notably because of its relationship with the United States. It is one of the few countries in Africa, and the only country in West Africa, without roots in the European Scramble for Africa; although Liberians had contact with European explorers and traders briefly between 16th to 18th centuries, Liberia did not exist as a nation state until it was colonized by freed slaves from the United States

Wiki en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 123131p://pm3122 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The ones that chose to go back to Liberia after the Civil War where very few in number. Yes the U.S did help set up the Nation for the freed slaves that wanted to go back. But the number that did where so few it was stopped not long after it started.
The issue here is what the world has seen happening all over most of Africa and the Middle East. Like the female child that was given in marriage to a man to pay a debt. That was in Saudi Arabia If my memory is right, and the list just goes on.
I my self just read and watched a news story from Sweden where this same thing is going on and the people there are about at the end of there patience with this issue.
It seems that just about every country that the Muslims enter are having to change there schools ,courts ,and there laws to accommodate there religion.
Now look around and see for your self, you will be surprised at what you find.

And after doing this ,then look around and see that no other religion gets the same treatment. If one goes to one of there country's and tries the same thing they are packed up and sent back, if they are lucky that is.

When they come to our borders there customs stop there and they are to agree to adopt our customs,not make us change to what they want. These are our country's and our laws .
I do not care what there religion is they can believe what they wish. But they do not have the right to make us conform to what they want and believe, and this has to stop.
What happened to this girl is going on all over the free world, and it is getting worse not better, and it will not stop in till we say no!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalu

Sorry mate, you are talking out of your backside. The Muslim religion or Saudi Arabia has nothing to do with this story.

As for the child being used to pay a debt, that sounds like the paedo scene as you find in most western countries. I thought you Islamophobes want a more westernised Middle East, there you go.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
#ty parents. I hope this girl gets adopted or placed with some loving parents who will actually care for her. These kind of parents disgust me! I wasnt disowned but I had an abusive parent and know how it is. To many people in this world treat their kids lke crap. I have a daughter of my own and am givng her the best life possible. SHAME on these SCUM bags.

No child deserves this treatment, EVER!

Good luck to this girl.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
No not talking out my backside.
It's not worth the time . It was on the new's here and on many news sites. Look for and see in stead of attacking what you do not want to hear.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is absolutely disgusting. How can anyone abandon a child?! She was raped and these people are punishing her like its her fault this happened to her. Hasnt she been through engugh and then to have her family abandon her because she shamed them. If this how they do things in their country then GO BACK to where you came from because here we dont abandon any child esp just because they were raped. This just really makes me angry. I feel so bad for that little girl, she is going to have to have counseling for the rest of her life. I hope she is completely taken away and a nice loving and caring family takes her in so she knows what it is like to have unconditional love.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

I would adopt her and raise her as a proud, black, Muslim, educated, African queen.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher

I would adopt her and raise her as a proud, black, Muslim, educated, African queen.

I don't care! Good! I'm black too so I don't now what point you are trying to make.

Regarding my islam comments in other threads, I have NO PROBLEM with muslims. Just fundamentalists. I have BIG probs with christian fundamentalists too. I think YOU ARE a fundamentalist though so I don't like you.

Just put me on ignore, I've done the same for you.

Bye.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Once again, I don't know what you are gibbering about. If I had the wherewithal, I would do as I stated. I would search her out and adopt her. Nothing more nothing less, so I don't get what you are saying.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher

Once again, I don't know what you are gibbering about. If I had the wherewithal, I would do as I stated. I would search her out and adopt her. Nothing more nothing less, so I don't get what you are saying.

Then what was the point of responding to me and pointing out youd raise her as a muslim. I'm sure its obvious to everyone you where trying to get to me. You could have just stated that WITHOUT responding to me and I would have said NOTHING.

You made that comment to provoke me in my eyes. YOU are a troll.

This is dumb. You're back on ignore because you attack me in every thread then turn around and act like you werent and I'm the crazy one. Grow up.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

I'm confused. Your source says 95% of the population is indigenous and only 2.5% are descendants of returning American slaves, another 2.5% if you include the Caribbean slave descendants:

The population of over 3 million comprises 16 indigenous ethnic groups and various foreign minorities. Indigenous peoples comprise about 95% of the population, the largest of which are the Kpelle in central and western Liberia. Americo-Liberians, who are descendants of African-American settlers, make up 2.5%, and Congo people, descendants of repatriated Congo and Afro-Caribbean slaves who arrived in 1825, make up an estimated 2.5%.

You're making it sound as if the whole country was originally American but your source says it's only a small minority of 2.5-5% while the rest are from indigenous tribes. It reads as if only the minority elite formed the government at its onset.

So what are you trying to say?

And for the actual story, it's heartbreaking. Culture, religion, nationality, or anything else is beside the point. Blaming the victim of a crime, especially a violent crime and especially when the victim is only 8 years old, is so backwards that it's difficult to understand the mindset of some people.

[edit on 7/25/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

You are correct. The minority of those in power are American descendants and they are the only ones allowed to settle in the US with lesser restrictions.

The country is entirely Christian and looks westwards to the mother country, the US. Freed slaves that were returned to Liberia where mulattoes and blacks. While the black American were absorbed by indigenous tribes, the majority of mulattoes remain to this day as the 2% or so as indicated in the source. This racial dynamics can also be witnessed on the Caribbean islands today with the majority claiming to be black yet there is a division between groups depending on blackness.

The point I am making is that the behaviour of the parents is a product of ignorance not culture or religion. If you or some else insists that it is a cultural then as American you should start examining yourselves because you and Liberians are culturally related.

There are two reasons why someone says that this is a culture based incident;

1) because of political correctness gone mad and excuses are being made for a primitive attitude.

2) because the speaker is a cultural supremacist and uses the atrocious actions of the Liberian parents as an example of his/her cultural supremacy.

The incident is complex and unacceptable.

[edit on 043131p://pm3154 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Sorry if you misunderstood me. I had no intention of provoking you and I would ask you not to be so sensitive. We are just a bunch of anonymous commenters so you really shouldn't react like that, it is nothing personal.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
reply to post by Erasurehead

Rape was not illegal until 2006???????? What the f--king hell kind of criminal justice system do they have? This is especially shocking considering that Liberia was founded by freed American slaves and maintained very close ties with the US over the years so logically one would think they would not be as ... backwards as they are.

Their rape law probably makes it illegal TO BE RAPED. Doing the raping is probably fine, it's just the victim that gets punished.

That's the logic of disowning this poor little 8 year old girl rape victim. The level of inside out morals by her family/culture is mind blowing.

Up is down, left is right, inside outside upside down.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
how about telling the girls family they are not wanted anymore in usa and send them back home ?.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
how about telling the girls family they are not wanted anymore in usa and send them back home ?.

Agreed. COMPLETELY. We don't want these scumbuckets here. They aren't welcome.

Send these sacks of # back to where they came from, PLEASE!

Any rapist or people who support rapists and would disown their own child just because they got raped are less than human in my book.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Outcry over disowned Rape Girl

BBC NEWS

Offers for help are pouring in for an eight-year-old Liberian girl disowned by her own family in Phoenix, Arizona, after being raped by four boys.

The girl is under the care of the Arizona Child Protective Service (CPS) because her parents said she had shamed them, and they did not want her back.

The case has sparked outrage across the US and even drawn condemnation from Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, an outspoken anti-rape campaigner.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Laurauk]

Sometimes you forget just how dumb people can really be?

We need to better educate our adults in this country, not the children, because the adults have all the power....

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We need to have an honest sense of morality. Edit: a sense of morality that is in tune with the ramifications of our actions, and not merely leaning on authority. I can only begin to imagine what this girl is going through. It is many fold greater than anything I have faced. I was severely physically and emotionally abused as a child, and my mother turned the other way, even continuing to make outright denials to this day. The excuse was that DHS would be worse, so forget about it. We need your father's money, so forget about it. She will still obfuscate. That being said, I know what this girl went through is far worse. I only hope she gets love and support in a new family, and that she can learn to pity and forgive her parents. Truly sad story.

I do agree with the vanity remarks as well. This girl needs help, lots of it, without a doubt. It is true that people come forward in droves to support a cause, something that props up a sort of false image, and they ignore the despair surrounding them everyday. Image and ideology before people sort of thing. We have a tendency to refuse to acknowledge how we might be a factor in the suffering around us. Here's to people loving everybody, in the absence of feeding an image. It is sad that it takes a media story to prime the pumps of human generosity. We are all guilty, but we are all a part of the solution as well.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by orwellianunenlightenment]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join