It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Lunacy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Bravo!!!!!!

Exactly what I've been saying...I find myself in religious debates and people do not want to deal with logic at all and to me, they should recognize that they themselves are INSANE

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

STARED and FLAGGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Star...

But WHY oh WHY don't the religious see that they are INSANE!! Not being funny at all, but to me they ought to be able to see that they are believing in a fairy tale version of the true account of the Sumerians.

Lunacy

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
If you think it's such lunacy why even post about it?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs

Oh man I loved that post. I could not agree more. You put it in perfect terms and was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks very much for your kind comments! I was afraid that post would be a bit too long and tedious...I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Star...

But WHY oh WHY don't the religious see that they are INSANE!! Not being funny at all, but to me they ought to be able to see that they are believing in a fairy tale version of the true account of the Sumerians.

Lunacy

Thanks to you as well for your approval and comments.

As to WHY, you have to understand, extremists DON'T QUESTION the basis of their beliefs. Neither, for that matter, do most human beings. The world is full of insanty and madness on all levels...its easy to get confused and turned around in this word, religiously or otherwise. Who can comprehend what a "mult-trilli-dollar-bailout" really entails? Who really knows why people get cancer or schizophrenia? Who knows why some men are sexually obsessed with blondes instead of brunettes, or visa-versa? Who can directly process the meaning of the fact that the farthest stars are billions of light-years away? These things are beyond direct human comprehension, yet most people just shrug, accept them as facts, and go about their daily business. The most fanatical religious extremists also process and accept facts that may seem bizzare to outsiders.

Another way to look at it...religious extremists are often thinking more EMOTIONALLY than RATIONALLY. They are looking for comfort, order, community, tradition, or something else...not micro-analyzing the basis of their faith. And when multiple like-minded people meet and communicate, they re-enforce each others' beliefs, strengthening them and providing validation, comfort, and incentives to continue believing and participating.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

You are absolutely correct....

I appreciate your posts because whenever I enter into another 'religious debate' with family or friends, I can now mange to explain to them how and why they believe even though it makes no logic sense..

that is also a result as you stated of repeated brainwashing/ conditioning since early childhood

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Anyone seen this thread?

Holy terror

It pretty much answers the question I had about how the evangelical community has expanded so rapidly over the last 3 decades.

Funny how the timing on things like this work out...

I suggest anyone with the same types of concerns as myself give this a once over. Its pretty good, and they attempt to shed light on the political motivations the religious right have been involved in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join