It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Majority in US Oppose Both Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

The Iraq War was opposed 63-34, while the slightly more popular Afghan War was opposed 53-44. Both numbers split strongly along party lines, with roughly two thirds of Republican supporting each war. Only 10 percent of Democrats support the Iraq War while only 26 support the Afghan War, which has been the foreign policy centerpiece for the Obama Administration.

news.antiwar.com...

Well this is slightly good news that the majority of the people in the country oppose both wars....especially since it's been largely ignored to most every other issue. It's also not surprising that the Neo-con party is in favor of it by 2/3 thirds which is freakin ridiculous.

Yeah...they rail against spending but support the most costly endeavor this country has seen in the last 8 years.

We cannot fix the economy until we end the war....and by the way...

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT?

I guess it's ok now since Obama is in office. Now Democrats and liberals can ignore it entirely.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I'm also wondering how much attention this thread will get....if you complain about debt and spending then this should be one of your largest gripes.

If not...well....you're a hypocrite.

Liberals had it right about war spending. But now...for some reason...no one says anything about it anymore.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well its because....they don't cover it anymore..
The media gives some extent to coverage every now and then...and we get a TIME magazine talking about "the new threat in insert country or insurgent group here"
The idea now is that the Economy is the number one issue..
And the war is a money genarator and is about the profits..

That is why the "War on Terror" is set up...there is no specific country and just places where the terrorists are supposedly located..
We pick a place start an assualt and evnetually the "terrorists" were looking for wind up setting up camp to fend off or fight or however you want to put it.The war on terror cant ever end aslong as we throw the name around.
Once or if we ever get to the point where we are not fighting overseas then the "home grown terrorist" war could be a new potential war and even lead to a civil war or martial law...This is purley theory though.

Yea a majority of Americans do not support the wars. But then again we are still there for the sae reasons we are all still stuck in this current crisis of issues facing us. Because there are no rallies...there are no movements that are organized and are actually moving..
This is too much distraction in the media and more importantly its going to take alot more than a poll or a few media clips to get people up and going.

It's violent over there and im sure theres much that goes on that we dont or ever will know.But we all know the policy of staying the course is failing and has failed before..
Obama may get some troops out...and will simply divert resources to another location..Everyone seems to think Iran or Korea is next but I ean jeez who really suspected we would go into Iraq a second time..I believe we'll find another place no so many would expect.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Akoostikreiki

And the war is a money genarator and is about the profits..

True...it's a money generator....for the corporate elite and the military industrial complex.

For everyone else it's a debt.

Neo-conservative news do not give it coverage because it looks bad on them....I mean why talk about that when they can rail about Obama's "other" spending and leave themselves unscathed.

And liberals....well since "their" man is now at the helm....it's suddenly ok now. I don't know if they think he will get us out of there....but it's not going to happen. He's escalating the war...not getting them out. He's sending another 20,000 troops to afghanistan. We just passed another 100 billion dollars to go to war spending. It's out of control.

Yet....when this was passed...NOT A PEEP from either party. NONE.

There were a few that spoke against it....mainly Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders...who oddly enough are polar opposites of each other....but strangely support some of the same things such as auditing the Federal Reserve and stopping the war, ending NAFTA, etc.

People say we need another world war to get out of recession...I think it's BS. We no longer produce anything here to make that possible...much of the military weapons aren't even made in the country anymore.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I bet an even bigger majority, if given a blank map, could not locate these 2 places on a map.

Never underestimate the stupidity of Americans. Just look at the election of Premier Obama for instance.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Well it's because people who know some basic history know that if you let these nations alone, they will inevitably become the attention of Russia or China. The most recent of course being Russia.

I suppose it's better we handle things than a nation that actually will ,happily, publicly execute people.

Not that I support the war ,because I don't. But this is not a neocon thing ,nor is it the neocon party. Perhaps you've forgotten that Bush had an 18% approval rating. Obviously not all those who support the war support neocons.

And to go even further with this, neocons are cool. They are liberal minded government conservatives. Bush was not this. he was a conservative minded, leftward leaning man.

So even the term is wrong.

To me, neocon as created to fearmonger any REAL neocons from election. It' a curse word, even though a neocon is the perfect leader.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well I'd hope so! Evolution has programmed us to forget the reality of war, and we are preparing every day for more war by spending money on the military. What a waste! All wars result from a little spark in an explosive world, and the sparks are flying in the Middle East. Only this time, it won't just be small explosions, but nuclear explosions. The people that believe that there needs to be a war to fulfill the prophecy of Armageddon are the most misguided humans on planet Earth, propagating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Liberal media doesn't cover war spending topics because to do so would be skating on thin ice in pointing the finger at the Obama administration. And we certainly wouldn't want to do that now, would we?

I also don't think you hear much by way of protest from anyone on the left much because they voted for Obama and they believe they are as much responsible for the war in Afghanistan as they believe that Bush/Cheney voters are responsible for the war in Iraq (totally ignoring that those in Congress really make the decisions).

top topics

join