It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We create our own Reality. You think?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Know I have struggled between putting this in "paranormal'' and ultimately 'Psychology".

I've seen quite a few, disturbed, atsers that claim that we 'create' our own reality, now i'm not sure if they mean that in the sense, as, if someone sees the world as a good place *optimistic* or a bad place *pessimestic*.

Or how the every growing group of people that follow the Rhonda Byrne philosophy, of creative ignorance, and ultimately, I could create a new curse word, in describing this fool.

She has built her wealth on feeding on people emotions and want for a better life. Ultimately one of the sickest things someone can do.

Fooling people, relentlessly, into believe that, if they simply imagine themselves into a lamborghini, they will ultimately get a lamborghini, or with cash, or whatever lust someone has.

When all it takes is, essentially hard work, if I want a lamborghini, sitting at home picturing myself in one, does nothing, zip-zadda nothing.

If I work hard, take up extra shifts, save and become financially literate, I can achieve this goal.

Now maybe at the least of this monster which is Byrne, she inspires people to go after their goals.

Although digressing, I see, and i'm sure intellectual people do to, see no way of actually being able to 'shape' 'manipulate' the universe to what we want.

Even thinking of how arrogant a thought that is, is enough to make the most reasonable person throw up in the back of their throats.

If this was the case then children in africa would be having much better lives.

If anyone has some enlightenment to add to me, it's appreciated, although there is virtually no backbone for this theory, which some sadly base their lives upon.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I agree. I also see the irony in asking the Universe for material goods, since the Universe is a creation of God. You surely wouldn't ask God for a Lambo.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It damned sure hasn't worked for me thus far!

Great post S & F!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I agree. I also see the irony in asking the Universe for material goods, since the Universe is a creation of God. You surely wouldn't ask God for a Lambo.

Just before I get people jumping on me about God..

If you believe the Universe is some sort of living being that can grant you wishes, yet you laugh at the idea of God, then I'm sorry but you're an idiot. God IS THE living being that you call the Universe. You can't create a belief system to suit your own lifestyle.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Just before I get people jumping on me about God..

If you believe the Universe is some sort of living being that can grant you wishes, yet you laugh at the idea of God, then I'm sorry but you're an idiot. God IS THE living being that you call the Universe. You can't create a belief system to suit your own lifestyle.

Before saying that, I would look up what universe actually means, then I would re evaluate my statement. Doing this is what is called "Cosmos", putting things in order.

universe
1589, "the whole world, cosmos," from O.Fr. univers (12c.), from L. universum "the universe," noun use of neut. of adj. universus "all together," lit. "turned into one," from unus "one" (see one) + versus, pp. of vertere "to turn" (see versus). Properly a loan-translation of Gk. to holon "the universe," noun use of neut. of adj. holos "whole" (see safe (adj.)).

"I am in the father, and the father is in me"......turned into one. Universe

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

You are right about hard work, and if you want something.. You have to DO much more than just think about it..

However, hard work can be replaced by having lots of money!

A poor man that thinks.. I want this or that... He or she must WORK for this or that.. And this or that must be created or already be in this time/space to have.

A rich man that thinks.. I want this or that.. He or she, must hire someone to go and get what is already created by another person, Or grown from this earth in this time/space to have..
Thus just by thinking it.. The Rich person.. Or the person with wealth to obtain said objects can create their own reality.
But its only to a point.
Most of this falls under uncomman sense.. The kind of stuff that you think about when you are going through a part of your life where you wonder about the BIG things in life!

It really depends on where you are comming from.. And where you are going. Different people want different things..
Some want material goods.. Others just want to find love and peace.

If you want to love.. A rich man has no real edge over the poor man when it comes to these types of things.
Granted Im talking real love.. Not the kind of love that money can just buy.
And real happyness! Not the kind money can buy.

Thus these things must be manifested by action..
Choice is a gift you are given.

However choice is only going down 1 set path out of infinite paths.
If you chose to step right.. You will manifest yourself down the path where you went right..
If you chose to step left.. You will manifest yourself down the path where you went left.

In the BIG picture.. You have gone both left and right.. And all possible outcomes.. However YOU, in your time/space only get to experience the choice you made. While alter YOU travel in alter manifested choice realities.

Reality is a very hard thing to define.. AS the only reality we truely know about is the one we are currently in. While many other realities play out side by side.

Thus do you create your own reality? In a sense yes.. But not in the mystical sense of saying.. I want this and poof it appears..

Its a complex set of choices, time/space, quantum physics and theory..
Reality is a mindset, and its a place that you currently take up room.
Reality can be many things for many different people.

Yet if you have the will, and power over others.. You can sertinly make choices that will affect other peoples reality..
But its not that simple to just DO..
Its one of those occult secerts that many of us will never truely understand.

However.. As stated before.. A little hard work, can bring you many things.

But nothing just like a car or house will appear out of thin air just by thinking about it..
Unless however you are in a dream.. And then we are talking about something totally different..
Yet when you dream.. You are in reality, thus your dreams are part of reality? Im not sure.. I get stumped on that one personally..

It gets so deep that I end up rambeling on and on.. hehe
I hope what I said somewhere in there made a little sense..

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Yes, I understand.. but what were you getting at? Sorry..

edit: in reply to letthereaderunderstand

[edit on 25/7/09 by Nventual]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
OP is full of fallacies and unnecessary judgments.

Yes, we do create our own reality.
It's all about focus.

The Secret oversimplified things a bit.
I don't know if their intentions were good or bad, but I can see that both possibilities exist. Maybe they were naive and thought that oversimplifying things a bit would help the mass understand better. Maybe they oversimplified it on purpose, they may have distorted slightly the greatest idea ever because they were lazy to actually follow the greatest idea (of course you need to practice hard the greatest idea or else it would be no use) and by doing so they could easily fool people since the idea released was practically the same as the greatest idea, only incomplete.

The thing is, you shouldn't give so much attention to anyone or anything in particular. If you are a seeker, you should realize that no one can find whatever you are seeking for you. They can point out directions, but they can't take you anywhere. So stop taking people seriously as if they were trying to take you somewhere.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
From my own understandings beliefs are ideas in the sub-conscious thoughts of ones mind. That then make things in this reality come to fruition. Essentially everything and anything of form is neutral.
It is however ones inherent beliefs that create the agendas of good or bad, Impossible or possible.
Look at the improbable situations where a pregnant Mother finds herself in a Traffic accident and the vehicle she is in overturns on her. She then through her sheer belief in determination manages through superhuman powers to push the car of herself.
Or the person who finds themselves in inhospitable conditions whether on land or sea and through the belief of determined effort of survival manages to endure the conditions enough to find help or be rescued.
Then the said persons told to recount how they survived the improbable chance of survival in such conditions can not consciously comprehend how they survived etc etc

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Epsillion70]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Know I have struggled between putting this in "paranormal'' and ultimately 'Psychology".

...helluva predicament...

I've seen quite a few, disturbed, atsers that claim that we 'create' our own reality,

...people create their own "sense of" reality - its called perspective and it usually reflects how angry, boring, comic, fair, level, paranoid or screwed up they are... some misuse the word due to parrotitis or just plain old ignorance - like confusing fate and destiny, happens all the time...

...some say that autistics create their own reality, same with schizophrenics and others with mental disorders - and - metaphorically, they do live in their own little world but their world is not reality... its just their perspective... reality doesnt change to suit our whims... it just is...

now i'm not sure if they mean that in the sense, as, if someone sees the world as a good place *optimistic* or a bad place *pessimestic*.

...maybe those who claim they create their own reality say so because it gives them a sense of power or makes them feel less hopeless...

Or how the every growing group of people that follow the Rhonda Byrne philosophy, of creative ignorance, and ultimately, I could create a new curse word, in describing this fool.

...awww, cant blame her for conning all the desperately seeking susans and toms... she's just giving them what they want... besides, if it were illegal to push crap disguised as something good, our prisons would be full of preachers, priests and politicians...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I’ve no idea who this Rhonda woman is so I’m probably getting the wrong end of the stick but…

Fooling people, relentlessly, into believe that, if they simply imagine themselves into a lamborghini, they will ultimately get a lamborghini, or with cash, or whatever lust someone has.

When all it takes is, essentially hard work, if I want a lamborghini, sitting at home picturing myself in one, does nothing, zip-zadda nothing.

Obviously I agree imagining something doesn’t itself make that thing happen but there is a clear, demonstrated correlation between those who take a goal orientated stance and success in achieving those goals.

In other words if you set out to do something, or get something and motivate yourself to want it you are much more likely to get it than if you were to simply set out not to fail. Failure avoidance and success orientation will both lead the individual to modify there behaviour making certain outcomes more or less likely.

It’s self evident that you can’t change reality at a basic level but I think it’s important not to minimise the psychological significance of “positive thought” in terms of making things happen.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
OP is full of fallacies and unnecessary judgments.

Maybe they oversimplified it on purpose, they may have distorted slightly the greatest idea ever because they were lazy to actually follow the greatest idea (of course you need to practice hard the greatest idea or else it would be no use) and by doing so they could easily fool people since the idea released was practically the same as the greatest idea, only incomplete.

can you summarize what this secret is? or the part that was left out?
I mean, I think the things people really want are things which can realisticaly be aquired in that persons life, and as with most things if you persist and stick to your goals, you can achieve them, but simply wishing you had a wife house and a car wont get you there.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by patientobserver]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I have considered this subject quite a bit as of late and I am slowly coming to the realization that a lot of the things that happen in our lives are truly willed to happen.

I believe that there may be something to be said for the whole laws of attraction theory, where as we sew the seeds in our lives, and in turn we reap what we have laid ahead for ourselves.

Maybe it is all true, the whole karma concept and the notion that how we bahave, what type of energies we put off and where our focus lies all have a great deal to do with our outlook on life.

If you plant the negatives and focus mainly on being a negative minded person, I do believe that you transition that negativy into all parts of your life and you in turn attract negativity in all forms.

Also I believe that a positive mindset can even benefit you physically as well, and I believe it can have real life affects on a person physiologically speaking, it impacts behavior as well as the ability to make choices.

A lot of it also has to do with personal expectations and what we perceive to be out limitations. Like the old saying goes, whether you believe you CAN or believe you cannot, you are right

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by patientobserver

You said it all, my friend.
"The Secret" is the supposed scam.
The part that was left out is that you need to actually engage on getting it and not only think about getting it. Thinking about getting it is the first step and "The Secret" people treated it as if it was the only step.

It goes like this:
1) Think about it = Understand what you want
2) Once you understand what you want, research and gather information on the best way to get it.
3) Once you got all the information needed, put the information in practice.
4) Keep practicing until you get it. If you give up because it is "not working" that means you should go back to step number 1, you probably want something else.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

oh now I wish I had hit quote instead of reply as there was one point you made I wanted to respond to.

I will elaborate anyway:

Reality can be altered with various substances. It can also be altered by fear. We can be trapped in various realities too, for eg:

I am with my therapist and I have disassociated because even though I am in the room with her, the reality I am in is somewhere terrifying...so I focus on the room that I am in with her and I am able to be in the present reality.

I agree that thinking you are driving a flash car while your driving an old bomb does nothing at all, perhaps it only serves to inspire you to get off your bottom and try to achieve it...

Reality and visualisation is a very interesting topic... many say visualisation is the key to transforming your reality however if your trying to visualise something nice and then your raped and bashed with every visualisation, it is hard.

so fear and past experiences can interfere with present and future reality.

cheers

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Maybe it is all true, the whole karma concept and the notion that how we bahave, what type of energies we put off and where our focus lies all have a great deal to do with our outlook on life.

I agree that is true but I wouldn’t call it karma. It is essentially the relationship between personality, environment and behaviour which are all reciprocal in their effects on one another.

For example if you’re a very introverted person (personality), you will tend not to interact with people (behaviour), therefore happy people will tend to stay away from you (environment) which in turn makes you more introverted (back to personality). That’s overly simplified but I think it gets the point across; what you reap does correlate to what you sew, except it’s just psychology and not karma that causes it.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

We create our own Reality.
If anyone has some enlightenment to add to me, it's appreciated

I can give you lots of practical examples of belief creating reality, but perspective counts for a great deal.

For example, money is paper with ink on it. Why does it have value? Because people believe that it does, and accept it as having value with full faith that they will be able to give it to somebody else and also receive value for it. The entire concept of money functions solely because of the belief people share that it has value. The difference between a federal reserve note and monopoly money is mostly just a matter of belief.

Or, consider a married couple. Let's say they are both faithful and true to one another, but they each belive that the other has had numerous affairs and lied about it. Do you see how their belief is likely to have a significant impact on the nature of their relationship?

Consider a person in an insane asylum who completely and totally believes that he is rich and lives in a mansion filled with servants who bring him food and bathe him. What do you think is more important to him....your perspective of reality that he is insane, or his own perspective of reality that he lives a life of luxury?

We create our own Reality.

Whether or not you ascribe any "mystical" value to the power of the mind and belief, it's clear that belief does have a huge impact on the nature of perceived reality.

But let's go one step further.

Let's say that there are two men, both of whom live in poverty. They have no education, no family background, and no money at all. However, one of the two firmly believes that it is within his power to better himself, firmly believes that it is within his power to find a job, to save money, and to build a life of comfort. The other one believes just as firmly that these things are not within his power, and that no matter what he does he will always live in poverty.

Which of the two of them do you think will be more likely to escape poverty? And if he does, would it be fair to suggest that his belief was responsible for the reality he brought into being?

Did he "create" his own reality?

I see, and i'm sure intellectual people do to, see no way of actually
being able to 'shape' 'manipulate' the universe to what we want.

Really? Even though I've just give you a number of completely plausible circumstances in which purely mental constructs such as belief can have huge tangible effects on "reality?"

"Oh," but you say, "these are simply examples of people who have worked to make things happen. Yes, they believed these things were possible, and this surely helped motivate them to do the work, but truly it was the work that brought these thigns into being, not the belief."

Ok. But that is a belief. Why do you believe that "work" is what "causes things to happen?" If you were wrong, and it were truly belief that is responsible, would not your belief that work was the true cause be sufficient to make it so?

It is a circular situation you find yourself in. You have a particular belief, and yet we have much evidence to suggest that belief itself is what causes observable reality to manifest in the way it does. The man in the asylum believes and perceives himself as a rich man in a mansion. You see him and you believe and perceive him as a crazy man in an asylum. What if the asylum workers also believed he was a rich man and they were his servant? At what point do you choose to say he is a crazy man or a rich man? The president of the united states is the president of the united states solely because other people believe that he is. I'm sure if you go to enough asylums you'll find other people who also believe that they're president of the united states. The only reason they are not is that nobody else believes them.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

It is a circular situation you find yourself in. You have a particular belief, and yet we have much evidence to suggest that belief itself is what causes observable reality to manifest in the way it does. The man in the asylum believes and perceives himself as a rich man in a mansion. You see him and you believe and perceive him as a crazy man in an asylum. What if the asylum workers also believed he was a rich man and they were his servant? At what point do you choose to say he is a crazy man or a rich man?

I am not following you here. If belief is what causes the reality to manifest and the man in the asylum believes he is rich, living in a mansion etc...then why has that not happened? Surely in this example, someone so focussed on their belief because the balance of their mind was somewhat off, would be the prime candidate for success in manifesting what they so adamantly believe their reality to be. But they are not in a mansion, have not manifested that reality.
Then you say it is other's belief and observation that affect this. So if I believe I am the president but 3 million say I am not, then I am not. If 3 million said I was, I still would not be. If the workers in the asylum believed the crazy man was rich and they were his servants, that still does not mean he manifested his reality at all....as he is not rich, is locked up and does not have what he imagines himself to have with all of his cognitive thinking and focussed belief. So are you saying we are influenced not by our own beliefs but by those of everyone else?
Just to add to this, there may be some truth somewhere in all this, but I do think an awful lot is predetermined for the lessons we are here to learn.
And secondly, yes you can get riches and everything you want easily enough in the sphere of 'new age' spirituality it seems. But the only millionaires you will find are the people who write these books, conduct these seminars and make these videos. It's called conning people. And it is so easy to make people believe they are creating their own reality as when they have some small (and it is always small) event happen, such as a tiny lottery win, they instantly attribute this to the belief system they have bought into (literally bought), and not as some random chance. All these tricksters have done is a form of hypnosis in suspending reality, but it still does not mean that the people buying this have any real success in manipulating reality
I also wonder how easy it would be just by work to achieve everything you want, like extremely expensive sports cars. Some are not able to get wondrous jobs and if you have no spending money after paying your bills how would you achieve that? They should get qualifications I hear people scream. Depending on circumstances that is often not possible either. Some get out of poverty through luck, and some through conning people just like the immoral new age 'secret' espousers. Some are just able to survive. Some are born and starve to death. Makes no sense to me.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Allow me to introduce you to a concept:

Consensus reality (rarely or mistakenly called "consensual reality") is an approach to answering the question "What is real?", a profound philosophical question, with answers dating back millennia; it is almost invariably used to refer to human consensus reality, though there have been mentions of feline and canine consensus reality. It gives a practical answer - reality is either what exists, or what we can agree by consensus seems to exist; the process has been (perhaps loosely and a bit imprecisely) characterised as "[w]hen enough people think something is true, it... takes on a life of its own." The term is usually used disparagingly as by implication it may mean little more than "what a group or culture chooses to believe," and may bear little or no relationship to any "true reality", and, indeed, challenges the notion of "true reality". For example, Steven Yates has characterised the idea that the United States Federal Reserve Notes (not "backed" by anything) are "really worth a dollar" as "part of what we might call our consensus-reality, [not] real reality.

The difficulty with the question stems from the concern that human beings do not in fact fully understand or agree upon the nature of knowledge or knowing, and therefore (it is often argued) it is not possible to be certain beyond doubt what is real. Accordingly, this line of logic concludes, we cannot in fact be sure beyond doubt about the nature of reality. We can, however, seek to obtain some form of consensus, with others, of what is real. We can use this to practically guide us, either on the assumption it seems to approximate some kind of valid reality, or simply because it is more "practical" than perceived alternatives. Consensus reality therefore refers to the agreed-upon concepts of reality which people in the world, or a culture or group, believe are real (or treat as real), usually based upon their common experiences as they believe them to be; anyone who does not agree with these is sometimes stated to be "in effect... living in a different world."

Throughout history this has also raised a social question: What shall we make of those who do not agree with consensus realities of others, or of the society they live in? Children have sometimes been described or viewed as "inexperience[d] with consensus reality," although with the expectation that they will come into line with it as they mature. However, the answer is more problematic as regards such people as have been characterised as eccentrics, mentally ill, divinely inspired or enlightened, or evil or demonic in nature. Alternatively, differing viewpoints may simply be put to some kind of "objective" (though the nature of "objectivity" goes to the heart of the relevant questions) test. Cognitive liberty is the freedom to be the individual's own director of the individual’s own consciousness and is fundamentally opposed to enforcement of the culturally accepted reality upon non-conforming individuals. Effects of low cognitive liberty vary from indifference to forced-medication and from social-alienation to incarceration to death.

Consensus reality in science and philosophy

Materialists
Materialists, however, may not accept the idea of there being different possible realities for different people, rather than different beliefs about one reality. So for them only the first usage of the term reality would make sense. To them, someone believing otherwise, where the facts have been properly established, might be considered delusional.

Objectivists
Objectivists, though not necessarily materialists, also reject the notion of subjective reality; they hold that while each individual may indeed have their own perception of reality, that perception has no effect on what reality actually is; in fact, if the perception of reality differs significantly from the actual reality, serious negative consequences are bound to follow.

Idealists
Some idealists, subjective idealists hold the view that there isn't one particular way things are, but rather that each person's personal reality is unique. Such idealists have the world view which says that we each create our own reality, and while most people may be in general agreement (consensus) about what reality is like, they might live in a different (or nonconsensus) reality.

SOURCE:en.wikipedia.org...

And my ideology sits somewhere between Objectivists and Idealists.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

LoL. I had to google her. You are talking about "The Secret"

Well I can not tell much to that because I haven't seen the movie nor read the book. But when it is about a movie and a book then this has probabily much more to do with fiction and her makeing money then anything that is real.

But like every good fiction it might have some bit's of truths.

Your Title is:"We create our own Reality. You think?"

Through my experiences that I had I can tell that I at least can take influence and shape my life through my "will/wish" and not just through physical action if it is in agreement with the whole and my destiny.

Judge from my own experiences, I see it as very likely that all people indeed do shape their reality uncouncious till to a certain degree by themself.

Let me tell you a short story:

I was in the office and I had a meeting with one of our managers of the company. During that meeting a list of employees circulated.
The emplyee list was complete with personal phtotos and there was this attractive woman on it that catched my attention.
I wondered if I should 'want' to meet her. I really wanted it but on the other hand I knew there was no chance to ever meet her. She was in Asia. And I am from Europe and I had no intention nor a desire to ever visit Asia. It was even worse because I figured out that she left the company that month. So my wish had to fail. I soon forgot about it completly.

Some month later the company send me to their branch in Asia. I didn't want to go but it was not in my hand anymore I had to go.
Well of course I then decided to make the best out of it and enjoy the trip. So after work we often went out for the night life. And you guess what, in one of this nights there she was!

This is just one story. There are more such "coincidences" that happend to me. It always started with a concious wish/will/desire of me in a past. Most time I then forget it. And then it happens.

One difficult thing seems to me is to remember what you once wished. A lot of time can pass. Even years. Many things you once wanted become fullfilled but you have already forgotten about you once wanted that in the past. It even happens that your wish/taste changes in the meantime and you don't like the fullfillment you meet anymore.

So there is a mechanics of a willfull wish that arrange things in your reality. At least that is my experience.

And then there are things you simple can not influence through this mechanics and things you can forget about wishing anyway. You will not get money by wishing it. But you get money by working!

<<   2  3 >>

join