It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebration that ended in bar brawl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Celebration that ended in bar brawl

news.bbc.co.uk

But only a few hours later the England midfielder was locked in a cell with the threat of a five-year jail sentence hanging over him, following a fight in a bar.

A jury at Liverpool Crown Court agreed with the football star's assertion that he had acted in self-defence and cleared him of affray.

The jurors accepted Gerrard's claim that businessman Marcus McGee had been going to punch him first.

Judge Henry Globe said the midfielder would now walk away from the court with his "reputation intact".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Such a shame with this story, it seems the Jurers must have been football fans, just to give some background for the none football fans, Gerrard is one of the best football players in England he plays for our national team and is also Club Captain for Liverpool FC.

The case should had never been held in Liverpool in the first place due to a conflict of interests with him being an icon for town.

If you look at the video in the link you can clearly see him attacking the guy, there is no self defense at all from what you can see in the vid. And surely 6 men vs 1 I wouldn't exactly be very afraid if I was in that 6.

It seems like a miscarriage of justice, if Gerrard wasn't a national icon I'm sure the verdict would have been different. Joey Barton was part of a similar type of case a few years ago and he ended up being found guilty but he wasn't as famous or as good as Gerard. And it's kind of funny how the other 5 people he was with all admitted guilty to what they did knowing they didn't have a leg to stand on yet Gerard gets off scott free

Things like this really piss me off, one rule for the common people and another for the famous

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24/7/09 by Discotech]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Very good thread.

That poor guy got jumped because he wouldn't give in to a celebrity and turn over the restaurant's music system.

A sad world we live in when justice is not served even with such clear evidence.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If this was a man not in the limelight the case would not have got a mention, probably wouldn't even have been taken to court.

CCTV is never conclusive only those in court know the real story. Imo Gerrard would have settled out of court if he had been guilty, it would have saved him a wad of money.

There will be a lot of sour grapes with this case because the guy is a celeb.

I have no love of Liverpool or Gerrard being an Arsenal supporter.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

So Gerard was the only one out of the group of 6 who acted in self defense ? The guy that got beat up didn't even throw any punches lol how is it self defense beating someone up who never attacked you ?

Yeah right, show some common sense, Gerard was as guilty as the other 5 except his celebrity status got him off the hook.

And you're right if he wasn't a celeb it wouldn't have gotten any media attention and he would have been found guilty like the other 5 of his friends. Crazy world we live in

top topics

join