It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insects in High Oxygen Environments

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
Those high pressure systems going hand in hand with really warm weather as they are known to produce. ...

Air pressure is not uniform across the Earth however. The normal range of the Earth's air pressure is from 980 millibars (mb) to 1050 mb. These differences are the result of low and high air pressure systems which are caused by unequal heating across the Earth's surface and the pressure gradient force.
geography.about.com...
Your own source suggests you've got that part backwards:

Lows are usually associated with high winds, warm air

This makes sense that warm air is less dense which is why hot air balloons rise, and less dense air means less mass to press down on the Earth. So I don't know why you say "high pressure systems going hand in hand with really warm weather" when you provide a source that contradicts that.

However I think a bigger issue is comparing small differences in weather systems around the earth at one point in time, to global changes over long periods of time. Bottom line is I think this subject is perhaps more complex than the assertions in your sources. I'm not saying I understand all the complexities, however I am saying that I realize it's a more complex topic than many simple models which is perhaps why the topic is still debated among scientists.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Pressure increases here because more air fills the space left from the low. Subsidence also evaporates most of the atmosphere's water vapor so high pressure systems are usually associated with clear skies and calm weather.

geography.about.com...

Clear skies....let solar radiation and heat in and usually make for nice...warm weather...Santo Domingo and Cuba are not usually cold...

EDIT:
Those places and those that have tropical conditions usually produce large animals, insects and pant life...they are high pressure systems, have more water (bigger water cycle) and so more oxygen mostly from all the excess plant life. The worlds lungs......

You are correct though, it is very complex. I argue that it is a soup and not an ingredient we must look for. A whole recipe that triggers large species as well as possibly longer life spans.

P.S
high pressure systems are more dense...thus the high pressure.....I think you got that backwards...
edit on 12-9-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join