It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why we should carry guns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

Originally posted by contemplator
Or do what some of us do.. move to a country without a gun culture.

Yeah like the UK, because the UK has discovered all violence is
caused by guns, and this article right here proves once and for
all that ppl do not commit crimes, inanimate objects do.

UK violence capital of Europe and worse than even the US

I will take a VERY large cup of Ignorance, because denying Ignorance
is hard mmmmmmmmkay ?

I've lived in the UK all my life and have never been attacked or robbed with a gun, knife or fists. I've never known anyone that has either. I lived in South London for a few years and would walk home from my friends house regularly between 12 and 3am. I never had any trouble.

I know there is alot of crime but the media certainly blows it way out of proportion. If I see people that I think look a bit dodgey, it never crosses my mind once that they might have a gun. If guns were legal I would be alot more fearful because I know that anyone could be carrying.

Banning guns in the US is a mistake because there are simply too many. Criminals wouldn't have any problem getting their hands on them. If you ban them now it would take 100 years until most of them were gone.

You keep your guns in America as you need them. I like a country without them.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk

When close in, and I mean 10ft or less, always attack if the opponent has a gun,

That may be the all time worst advice I have EVER heard.

.....But, you can close within the effective range of the gun quite easily, quickly, and with as much force as possible disable the opponent.

Riiiight, now please examine the words you composed there.

"You can close within the effective range of the gun quite easily" now try to think about this logically, unless the assailant is carrying a unloaded weapon or has the worst aim on earth attempting to "close" on him from 10 ft. out is most likely suicide.

This is not the movies.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Snisha]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

Believe what you want. The distance can be closed in under a second, the gun hand can be grasp at the wrist and deflected so the muzzle is pointing anywhere other than yourself. It's basic self defense if someone is intent on harming you. Running will only get you a bullet in the back.

Of course, for those that are unsure of their abilities, weak willed, unwilling to harm another person, etc..., giving the assailant what they want is probably the way to go. You'll only be out a few dollars, id, credit cards, phone, etc... including your self respect. And, the way things are here in the United States, you will probably end up shot anyway... it's a good way of getting rid of witnesses.

The person just has to decide if they are a wolf, or a sheep.

Take some self defense classes then get back to me on it.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by SpacePunk]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Snisha

Believe what you want. The distance can be closed in under a second, the gun hand can be grasp at the wrist and deflected so the muzzle is pointing anywhere other than yourself.

Yeah, and the trigger of the gun can be pulled in less time than it takes for you to close the distance. To make the move you are suggesting, you have know your assailant. This isn't kung-fu class with a rubber gun and a padded floor. This is the real world where you have no idea what the assailant's goal or skill level is.

Plus, the assailant is amped up on adrenaline (and lord knows what else), so don't force them to make a mistake.

Maybe the assailant wants to kill you and is just waiting for you to do something stupid to help himself justify pulling the trigger. Maybe the assailant knows about this attack distance, and decides to make you stand back 25 feet instead, which gives him more time to pull the trigger if you decide to become Stephan Segal.

At the end of the day, if someone has their gun on you, unless you have a gun and are a quick draw artist, you are at the mercy of the assailant. Best to do as told, STFU, and give away your crappy wallet with a few bucks, and your debit card. Who cares? You live to see another day.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
you cant conceal and carry a weapon here in canada. even though lots of people still walk around with pistols and such. and if you had a weapon youd have to wait till they turned to walk away and shoot them in the back and take ur *Snip*back.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/30/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is what i think about guns and the people swaying and swinging with it

www.dumpert.nl...

for the Skater

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

The distance can be closed in under a second

A trigger can be pulled in LESS than a second

I've practiced Mixed Martial Arts for 14 years so don't presume to verbally "school" me on the realities of "street fighting".

My hometown, pop. 50,000 has a per-capita murder and assault rate higher than New York City.

I've also lived in New Orleans, Memphis, and Montego Bay, Jamaica.

I'm no stranger to violent crime. I've experienced it personally numerous times and I've lent assistance to people in distress on more than one occasion.

I would NEVER advise people though to "rush in" on a gunman when 10 ft. away.

Tactically, it is an unsound maneuver.

You WILL more than likely get SHOT!

I said it before and I will say it again THIS IS NOT THE MOVIES!

I have seen what is taught in many afternoon "self defense" courses and it really does astound me that the "graduates" of these "Micky Mouse" programs think that they are ready to confront an assailant hopped up on speed, drugs, ect.

"Situational awareness" coupled with a CCL and many hours practicing on a firing range is a much more realistic self-defense tactic.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Snisha

Believe what you want. The distance can be closed in under a second, the gun hand can be grasp at the wrist and deflected so the muzzle is pointing anywhere other than yourself. It's basic self defense if someone is intent on harming you. Running will only get you a bullet in the back.

Of course, for those that are unsure of their abilities, weak willed, unwilling to harm another person, etc..., giving the assailant what they want is probably the way to go. You'll only be out a few dollars, id, credit cards, phone, etc... including your self respect. And, the way things are here in the United States, you will probably end up shot anyway... it's a good way of getting rid of witnesses.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by SpacePunk]

Been there. Even self-defense classes will urge you to hand-over unless cornered. There is every chance that you could have had it your way, but why risk it? As you know this has nothing to do with being weak-willed, it is simly common sense.

Were you cornered, and the situation different, I would agree with you.

Overly simplistic. I wish you well, knowing how to compromise does not equate weakness, it is survival. What if two wolves meet? One wolf dies.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Oscitate]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

is hard mmmmmmmmkay ?

Erm, using your source there were 927 murders in the UK in 2007. That's in a population of 60 million.

In the same year there were 16'929 murders in the US for a population of approx 300 million.

By comparing these figures, if the UK had the same population as the US (60 million X 5 = 300 million) with the current murder rate cited by your source (927 x 5) there would be 4635 murders for that year, compared with the US's 16'925.

Essentially the murder rate in the US is over 3.5 times that of the US for the year cited.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by djon01

These guys were on you with guns pointed pretty quick. I think if you went to go for your gun while they had their guns pointed at you, they would most likely shoot you.

So you're saying that carrying a gun would have saved you?

Exactly. Who are you clint eastwood?

If your country didnt have such a crazy lax gun culture in the first place, they probably wouldn't have been able to get hold of a gun. So why not move instead of having to buy one?

And what would you have done if you had a gun anyway? Acted out the bank job scene from the film Heat over a cell phone and a few dollars?

For your reasons alone you should never be allowed to own a firearm.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Have you had a gun pointed at you with someone with malicious intent holding it ?

I would think not from the phrasing you use.

On the two occasions this has happened to me (both in the UK - Northern Ireland to be precise) - my only thoughts have been to get out alive. no heroic actions passed through my mind at all - just one simple self preservation thought - talk calm and reason.

The idea of offensive rather than defense in this situation is a better reaction is pure bravado.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Don't listen to the anti-gun people - they don't know any better.

Get your CCW AND take some tactical training courses. If you had been armed AND trained, you would have had your weapon out before they were on you and would have likely averted a bad situation.

They should consider themselves lucky that it wasn't me they had tried that sh*t on - they'd both be room temperature!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I am puzzled about something.

Let's say you had a gun.
Let's say you went surfing without incident. (Why else were you walking around with longboards?)

Where would you securely store the gun while out riding the waves?

Just curious?

[edit on 26-7-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
This is what i think about guns and the people swaying and swinging with it

www.dumpert.nl...

for the Skater

Rule #1 of firearms training in my book, do not point a gun at anything
you do not intend to shoot.

Pointing a gun at someone to intimidate them may run into them
having a gun, or a friend of theirs having a gun.

You point a gun at me, and you will find out why I was pinned with
a sharpshooter ribbon in the military .45 ACP style.

Here in my state we have the "make my day" law, drugged out dumb
asses have broken into houses to come face to barrel with a sawed
off 12 ga. with magnum loads and then have their heads blown
completely off their bodies.

Sane and Sober don't rob rednecks with guns in this state.

If that thug with the gun in the video had drawn his gun and then 7 of
the skaters drew theirs, he'd have backed the hell down in seconds.

The skater was lucky the thug was bluffing and not whacked out on drugs.

The thug was lucky the skater didn't plant some independent trucks
from his board into the thugs skull.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

is hard mmmmmmmmkay ?

Erm, using your source there were 927 murders in the UK in 2007. That's in a population of 60 million.

In the same year there were 16'929 murders in the US for a population of approx 300 million.

By comparing these figures, if the UK had the same population as the US (60 million X 5 = 300 million) with the current murder rate cited by your source (927 x 5) there would be 4635 murders for that year, compared with the US's 16'925.

Essentially the murder rate in the US is over 3.5 times that of the US for the year cited.

On the murder aspect you are right.

Remember this is violent crime where some survive.

But not everyone that is a victim of violence dies.

Some just end up handicapped for life.

As there are fewer guns in the UK, most will live thru their attacks
even though there is more attacks in the UK than anywhere else
per capita.

In the US the largest portion of murders are drug related.

In this sense I look at it as doing society a favor if some some
gang banger dies in a drug deal gone bad.

The whole ghetto culture can shoot itself straight to hell and I applaud it.

If they just legalized pot the drug related crime would plummet.

Ppl would grow it in their back yard, and give it to their friends
and ppl would be mellow and apathetic and lazy, and the
only thing that would get killed is a pizza.

I don't smoke it, but lots of my friends do, and I can see it as
a much better choice than trillions on the worthless drug war.

Even law enforcement ppl have come out against the worthless
drug war with a group called LEAP.

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

We need a real solution, not the same old crap that has not worked
and created a counter culture and the most imprisoned country on earth.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a gun certainly would have helped, but there are ways around it, like this kid proves:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Your first and most major mistake was a lack of situational awareness. Whenever I am walking in a bad part of town, wherever that town is, I make sure that I keep my awarenesses up, and make sure that anyone sizing me up as potential prey realizes that I am a potential predator.

Predators rarely screw with other predators; it ain't safe and there's no percentage in it. If you carry yourself as a predator, only the craziest and ballsiest of them will ever confront you. How do you do that? By paying attention: look around, watch doorways, and if someone runs up on you, turn and face them. If you had done that, simply been aware that they were there and turned to meet them, making eye contact, you wouldn't have been robbed; they would have run past and searched for less attentive prey. The reason their technique worked is because you assumed they were safe and did nothing to check them out before they were on you. Victims and prey are inattentive.

You don't need a gun to make yourself safe, you just need to pay more attention.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

You're right. With my military training, defense classes, being shot at, shooting at people, etc... I know nothing at all. I'm a complete novice at receiving, and handing out violence. I've never put anybody armed with a handgun in the hospital
. You are all completely right. I know nothing. I defer to your liberal, and girly man ways.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Not longboard surfboards, longboard skateboards... they're skateboards designed for transportation rather than tricks.... think "street surfing".

[edit on 27-7-2009 by djon01]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I always have the wrong attitude. I try and make myself appear as weak and scared as possible. It is two fold. One it is a great bluff as anyone who considers you a target or a potential enemy will extremely underestimate you.

The other reason is a terrible one that I have to admit and I am willing to wager a large portion of you harbor as well. I WANT someone to try and kill or rob or hurt me. I ENCOURAGE someone to attempt to take my money with a knife or bat or gun. Who doesn't want to be the vigilante taking violent criminals off the street? Not being in law enforcement I get to operate under a different set of rules. "He said he was going to kill me officer and I believed him!".

"Yo Holmie! .......That my briefcase?" -Vincent

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 27-7-2009 by TurkeyBurgers]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join