It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why we should carry guns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
First off let me start by explaining the town I live in. It's a semi-small, low crime quiet suburb in the heart of wine country, Northern California. I'm a 19 year old college student attending the JC in the next town over.

Today, me and my friend Matt were walking to a friends house through an OK part of town, not the worst part, but not the best. There are low income apartments along the train tracks we were walking along, but we were never worried about them due to the fact that we have multiple friends that live there, that being said, i hate walking around the complex at night because i am a white guy and stick out like a sore thumb.

While we walked down the tracks, two young guys, maybe 18 years old, dressed semi-gangster, ran up behind us. One stopped behind, one stopped in front of us, and the one in front pulled out a small pistol and aimed it at us. They then proceeded to ask us if this had ever happened to us before, and after we said no, they told us to not move while the guy behind us searched our pockets. They got off with my wallet, which had a drivers license and a few dollars in it, my cell phone, and my friends phone and cigerettes. They left the baggie of medical marijuana in my friends pocket and my watch, as well as both of our almost new, expensive longboards.

This is why i'm now going to get my CCW as soon as i turn 21. Had this been at night, or had the two guys been on meth or coke or just particularly nervous, or any combination of those circumstances, i could easily be dead right now.

If we make it criminal to own a gun, only criminals will have guns.
Heed to my warning, and buy a gun.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Or do what some of us do.. move to a country without a gun culture.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by djon01

These guys were on you with guns pointed pretty quick. I think if you went to go for your gun while they had their guns pointed at you, they would most likely shoot you.

So you're saying that carrying a gun would have saved you?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I'm glad you didn't have a gun with you. It would have ended a lot different and for what?

I'm really glad you didn't get hurt, but I don't think a gun was the answer to that particular predicament.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I agree, in this situation it wouldn't have helped, but it's kind of a wake up call. If this can happen once, it can sure as hell happen twice, and i could possibly have time to react to the next one

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by djon01

Very unpleasant experience but it sounds like you got off quite lightly as they left you with stuff. However, had you pulled out a gun you would have been far more at risk of being killed. It's not like the movies.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator

Like England, where they use knives.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

If they were that close, a physical defense would be more sane. Guns are ok when your opponent isn't up close and personal.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I agree with the other posters a gun wouldn't have helped in this situation, and they probably would have made off with it if this happened and you had it on you.

Just need to be more aware of your surroundings. Also when you do get a pistol and your CCW make sure you take some tactical courses.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
three points
1. Glad you're ok, you didn't fight, and you didn't panic
2. If you have a gun, and SEE that happening to someone else, then maybe you could help
3. Safety, first, and last. If you ever do get a gun, be prepared to use it. MAJOR issues to go along with that.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Like England, where they use knives.

I'll take my chances with a knife over a gun any day. It takes far more balls to gut someone to death with a knife vs. standing back 10ft. and pulling a trigger.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by djon01

Absolutely!!! If you would have had a gun in that situation things would have been alot different. People that use guns to commit crimes like the one you described deserve to be put down like a sick animal. I have a CCW and I am ALWAYS armed, I would have killed the guy with the gun with no hesitation or remorse, thats what guns are for. Defense only. A person who carries a gun with with the intention of commiting a crime should be aware that he will likely get shot by the people he is attempting to victimize.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by johnnyflip]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by djon01

The only problem in this situation is that if you had a gun, then you would probably be out of a wallet, cellphone, longboard, and a gun..

In that situation your gun is worthless. If you don't have it out first, then you are dead.

A good situation for a CCW? When someone pulls a knife on you.

Obviously these guys had their stuff down, they had a gun on you, while the other guy robbed you. Anyways, sucks to hear that happened. I know you're pissed off, but be logical.

Those guys just want to scare you, the guns probably loaded, and they don't want to use it. Pulling a gun on them would probably give them a reason to. Just remember, your life isn't worth a long board, a cell phone and a couple dollars.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

When close in, and I mean 10ft or less, always attack if the opponent has a gun, always run when they have a knife. A gun is a ranged weapon, if you run, your chances of getting shot actually rise, you cannot run out of range of a gun fast enough to avoid injury. But, you can close within the effective range of the gun quite easily, quickly, and with as much force as possible disable the opponent.

Against a knife, you have two choices. Run, and as long as you stay out of reach, you are out of range of the knife. Close on the opponent, give up an arm, and use as much force as possible to disable the opponent. I say 'give up an arm' because you ARE going to be injured, and an arm is fixable, and any strike with a knife there will not immediately diable or kill you.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Don't listen to those who say that a gun could not have helped in this situation, so therefore a gun is of no use in self-defense.

The lesson you should take from this situation is that the world is not safe and you have to be alert at all times. You knew this was a iffy part of town, but like most folks, you were sure you'd be okay because nothing like that has happened before.

Join the NRA now. Get politically active to insure your Second Amendment rights. Get some literature on how to stay aware of your surroundings and to limit your vulnerability in public. Learn to shoot now. You can rent firearms at many ranges and they also have classes in firearms safety and basic marksmanship.

Taking the responsibility for your own safety has its risks, especially in a world where a spine is viewed with suspicion by those who think that there's a cop waiting around every corner just waiting for a call from you.

Thank God that you're safe and take control of your life now.

One more thing. This is not good advice.

Originally posted by SpacePunk

When close in, and I mean 10ft or less, always attack if the opponent has a gun, always run when they have a knife. A gun is a ranged weapon, if you run, your chances of getting shot actually rise, you cannot run out of range of a gun fast enough to avoid injury. But, you can close within the effective range of the gun quite easily, quickly, and with as much force as possible disable the opponent.

[edit on 2009/7/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by djon01

Maybe a gun would have helped you in this case. If those thugs would have seen a holstered gun on your hip. They most likely would not have even approached you in the first place.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
If more people had guns it would discourage criminals from attacking people as often. Some truly independent studies have shown crime rates are lower where guns are legal.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Yeah like the UK, because the UK has discovered all violence is
caused by guns, and this article right here proves once and for
all that ppl do not commit crimes, inanimate objects do.

UK violence capital of Europe and worse than even the US

I will take a VERY large cup of Ignorance, because denying Ignorance
is hard mmmmmmmmkay ?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by oneclickaway
reply to post by djon01

Very unpleasant experience but it sounds like you got off quite lightly as they left you with stuff. However, had you pulled out a gun you would have been far more at risk of being killed. It's not like the movies.

In situational awareness when you see the ppl running at you, you
pull the gun then, not when they stop and pull theirs out.

Usually just producing a gun makes most petty thieves look
for easier prey.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join