It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silverton Mayor's Revealing Outfit Sparks Complaint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Silverton Mayor's Revealing Outfit Sparks Complaint

www.kcby.com

Silverton's openly transgender mayor is under fire for his choice of attire when he went to speak to a group of students.
"Why are we even having this discussion? I'm an adult. I'll wear what I please," he said.

Ken Hector, President of Silverton Together, said the mayor violated the city's dress code when he spoke to a group of leadership students wearing a bathing suit top, a mini skirt and high heels. And he said three parents complained to him directly about the mayor's appearance.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Links- www.examiner.com...

Related Threads- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Note- Silverton is in Oregon, USA

[edit on 7/24/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I agree. He's an adult. He's open about it. They elected him. To be honest, no one should have a complaint about his lifestyle. Except maybe the bathing suit top, because it wouldn't be acceptable for women.

Maybe for a leadership group of student's it's weird. But I personally think no one should start accusing him of having an unsatisfactory lifestyle at this point. He was elected months ago.

But I guess the outfit complaint is warranted.

www.kcby.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/24/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
He is in the public life now, he is going to have to deal with the comments about his lifestyle not everybody voted for him will agree with who or what he is.

He should wear a suit though when appearing in public in an official capacity though. It is only proper and professional and he is representing the town.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

That's what I think. I mean, dressing weird has nothing to do with transexuality. No one would wear a bikini top and miniskirt in that situation.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

No not at all. If he feels he needs to dress as a woman then he could wear a suit skirt, or whatever you guys call them. He could probably get away with that.

But I'm of the mind that what you wear doesn't make who you are. It's just an outer shell.

Edit to fix grammar and spelling.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I wonder if the actual complaint has anything to do with the previous mayor being unseated by the current one?

I need to see a picture of the outfit before I can comment on whether or not I find it inappropriate.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaisyAnne

www.kgw.com...

In this video here, I think it's the same outfit.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I think that the problem here has to do with the conflict of: 'what you want to do in privacy and what you want to do in public'.

Personally, I don't care if my mayor likes to dress in ladies undergarments or not - as long as he keeps taxes in line. But I would be upset if he showed up at a town-hall meeting in diapers, or whatever.

This is, unfortunately, part-and-parcel of the transgendered community. Some of them don't seem to understand that if they just dressed however they want while in their own homes, most people would never care. But a lot of them insist on flaunting their eccentricities at entirely inappropriate venues and then are 'shocked' when people take offense.

Listen trannies: a lot of us 'normal' folk might not like wearing jackets, ties and pants - but we do it anyway! We don't try and express our uniqueness in public by going into the office wearing a bathrobe, no underwear and flip-flops. We might actually feel more comfortable that way - but we don't do it!

There is a division between what is comfortable for YOU and what society accepts. Accept that difference and your life will be a lot easier

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Actually, I think it's interesting how civilized people are being about it.

The Mayor's transsexuality does not seem to be an issue with anyone in this town really, merely her professionalism.

And is it just me, or did anyone else think of Mr Garrison from South Park when reading this story?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Mayor is a pretty prestigious position to hold and still dress like a complete jackass. Come on.

Any real female mayor wouldn't come dressed in that, business attire would be normal.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

www.kgw.com...

In this video here, I think it's the same outfit.

Thank you!

Personally, I don't see that outfit as scandalous. It looks like pretty normal hot day attire to me. Sometimes I wonder if people are seeking to be offended by something.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Maybe. But he was addressing a group of students. If I had a mayor in my town (we don't, we have some weird other thing), I think he/she would come wearing business clothes. Like a suit or a longer skirt and a nice shirt. I've never been addressed by a prestigious member of the community dressed that casually.

Edit- I have tons of transgender and crossgender friends, so it's not me being like... weird about that.

[edit on 7/25/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Oh, I don't think you are being weird about it in any way! I respect your opinion on this! I just don't personally find it inappropriate.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Okay haha. Yeah if people though I was being discriminatory that would be completely ironic.

But maybe if it was a regular shirt and not a swimsuit top...?

Hahaha, I don't know how mayors usually dress.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
To be honest, no one should have a complaint about his lifestyle.

In the material cited, I didn't see anyone question the mayor's lifestyle.

They did however question his choice of attire at an official, public function in front of children.

The mayor stated that he thought the dress code legislation was wrong and obviously he chose to challenge the law in a venue that would garner the most outrage. He's an iconoclast. What else can you expect?

"I believed the Council Dress Code was an intrusive and unnecessary piece of legislation when it was first introduced… it is clearly time to rescind this resolution before it becomes an embarrassing public issue for our community.”

www.examiner.com...

Rasmussen argues the city dress code does not apply to him since he is transgender and not entirely a male or female.

"Well, if they're going to be smart about it, they're going to look at the dress code and say, well, this is really obsolete now because it doesn't meet current conditions," he said.

www.kcby.com...

This really boils down to a matter of decency and I do believe that if a male had shown up shirtless and in a bathing suit, as many, if not more, people would have been outraged and I'm sure that if a woman had shown up dressed as the mayor was, there would surely have been plenty of outrage.

The mayor thinks that the rules of society do not apply to him.

new topics

top topics

join