It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble's Picture of Jupiter Scar

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Soooo, if it is growing in size, wouldn't that mean it is likely not an comet hit?

Or would a hit from a comet cause a cloud like that on Jupiter? Did something explode?

I dunno much about this stuff...so why is it growing

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Nickmare]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Excellent photo's thanks for posting them. Gives a person a reason to pause and reflect and just how small we are in the scheme of things.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Heh this sounds really allot like A Space Odyssey
scary actually

btw i read somewhere that venus also had a new scar ahmmmmm

got to find the link

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

yep its strange because if it would be an impact well than it would not grow like this because according to info jupiter is a gas giant soooo shockwave mmmm nea dont think so this is something different

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
look at shoemaker-levy impact sites totaly different than whats on now

lifeboat.com...

static.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The impact scar is at the top of Jupiter's atmosphere. It makes perfect sense that it would change shape and grow in size, because the planet's atmosphere is constantly in motion.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Awesome, should be even easier to see then. Now if I could just get my good weather generator to start working... I hate Florida summer weather, especially in the inland counties.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by soundmatrix2009

Those pictures are from shortly after impact, and from a much more significant set of impacts as well. Here's a picture showing the actual evolution of the Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts D and G, and it's almost identical to what we're seeing now:
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 27-7-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by soundmatrix2009

yep its strange because if it would be an impact well than it would not grow like this because according to info jupiter is a gas giant soooo shockwave mmmm nea dont think so this is something different

It's not strange.

Jupiter's atmosphere is comprised of dense gases, so it is perfectly consistent for a shockwave made by an impact to travel through these dense gases -- especially considering (as ncghunter pointed out above) the information that we learned from Shoemaker-Levy 9.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join