It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Telescope Photographs Jupiter Impact Site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Hubble Telescope Photographs Jupiter Impact Site

www.space.com

The unexpected impact of some space object with Jupiter, creating a dark bruise in the gas giant's atmosphere,......
....The new Hubble image, released today, shows a lumpiness to the debris plume caused by turbulence in Jupiter's atmosphere. The image is a natural color image of Jupiter in visible light.
The bruise is near Jupiter's southern pole and is about the size of the Pacific Ocean, according to one astronomer's estimates.
While astronomers don't know for sure what impacted Jupiter this
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.space.com
www.space.com

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is great on-the-spot reporting from Hubble but still needed the tip from Anthony Wesley:

"The dark spot was first noticed by chance by amateur astronomer Anthony Wesley in Australia on Sunday, July 19."
Aussie star gazer

"The size of the Pacific Ocean",what IF it hit Earth? a lot of coughing.

Zelong.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I have beenwaiting for someone to post the aftermath of the impact.

I am just as glad as anyone that Jupiter is around to take those impacts.

We would be in other words frakked, If that hit us full on impact.

Starred and Flagged!!

OMG @ MY TYPING TONIGHT MAO

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Nice find

'About the size of the Pacific Ocean', eh?

I love how in a Moon 'hoax' thread somewhere a poster already is exaggerating it, saying it "made a crater (sic) the size of Earth" in Jupiter!!!

Ah, gotta love 'em!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Zelong

Nice find

I love how in a Moon 'hoax' thread somewhere a poster already is exaggerating it, saying it "made a crater (sic) the size of Earth" in Jupiter!!!

Ah, gotta love 'em!

If I recall correctly, didn't the Shoemaker Levy impact make a "crater" that had the size of Earth? I think I've read about that in several scientific magazines and such. So it's not impossible. I have no idea how large the impact "crater" was on this one though.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
what a coincidence that there was also an imperative mission to fix Hubble before this giant asteroid that nobody knew was coming hit a planet.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Hubble is best for very deep space observation, not searching for the occasional (and proverbial) needle in the haystack. ('needle' being a previously unknown stray rock, and 'haystack' being the Solar System).

Although HST could image Jupiter for us after the impact, it did take away from other more important work, I would think.

Plenty of Earth-based telescopes can observe for us, and hunt for the strays.

BUT, really, the only concern is going to be about NEOs (NO, not whatshisname in the Matrix!!!) but actual near Earth Objects, that threaten US!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Here's an interview with the Aussie astronomer himself.

www.npr.org...

Click on "Listen Now" just under 4 mins duration and VERY interesting.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
More interesting , I think is one of the links at that site.Jupiter is now considered to more than a gasball, and has a similar, and fairly large core to that of the Earth.. that's the new theory anyway.
Jupiter has a enormous gravity and attracts a lot of stuff, so where does the stuff go, straight through ? I never thought so.If something like Phobos was to go into Jupiter thought as just a gasball,(hydrogen and helium +, a bit like the sun) could friction cause some kind of ignition and blow Jupiter up? not so far, so is Jupiter accreting material.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Here is the picture from the link - so people don't have to go to the link

Actually the one I put in was from CNN's site.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/025df3b8c9ec.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 24-7-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
As soon as I get the lottery money (which rightfully belongs to me) I'll be buying a good telescope for myself. This kind of discoveries are beatiful, good going AUS guy

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by heffo7
Here's an interview with the Aussie astronomer himself.

www.npr.org...

Click on "Listen Now" just under 4 mins duration and VERY interesting.

Great Find heffo,Anthony Wesley interviewed by npr.org their straight on to it,good interview.Thanks

Zelong.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Interesting enough the spot is growing in size - triple the size as a few days ago now.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe4eeccb0074.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The size of the scar in the atmosphere of Jupiter is in no way indicative of the size of the object that made impact.

If an asteroid or comet hit earth, the impact would throw up all sorts debris into the atmosphere, far larger than the actual asteroid or comet. Since Jupiter is a gas giant, this would have to be akin to the Tunguska Event in Siberia 1908 when a asteroid or comet only a few meters in size broke up in the atmosphere causing an Air Burst whose detonation was approximately the equivalent of the Nuclear bomb Tsarbomba, which would be 1000 times more powerful than the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagisaki at the close of WWII. The clouds caused by an Air Burst of an asteroid or comet breaking up in the atmosphere would be tens of thousands of times larger than the size of the actual object.

However, let everyone think it was Nibiru (even though if Nibiru is responsible for the Kuipier Cliff, then it would have to be a Gas Giant, and not a small planetoid). Maybe they'll give up on their 12/21/2012 Prophecies of the destruction of the earth at the hands of a near miss with Nibiru.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4f43d4c1993.gif[/atsimg]

The Pacific Ocean is the size of Earth - in circumference and diameter, anyway.

However, your point - the scientific illiteracy of those who embrace these space-paranoia stories - still stands.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
what a coincidence that there was also an imperative mission to fix Hubble before this giant asteroid that nobody knew was coming hit a planet.

Yes, and if there hadn't been, you'd be saying 'What a coincidence Hubble was out of action when this giant asteroid that nobody knew was coming hit a planet.'

There's simply no pleasing some people.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Yes, and if there hadn't been, you'd be saying 'What a coincidence Hubble was out of action when this giant asteroid that nobody knew was coming hit a planet.'

There's simply no pleasing some people.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that post.

No matter what the circumstances (e.g. Hubble working/or Hubble not working) someone would invent a conspiracy to fit those circumstances.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Update:

Jupiter FL Conspiracy

Since ATS the community has some of the best photgraphic interpretation investigators I thought I would update this story if for nothing else NEWBIES.

??

top topics

join