It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial brain '10 years away' !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

A detailed, functional artificial human brain can be built within the next 10 years, a leading scientist has claimed.

Henry Markram, director of the Blue Brain Project, has already simulated elements of a rat brain. He told the TED Global conference in Oxford that a synthetic human brain would be of particular use finding treatments for mental illnesses.

Around two billion people are thought to suffer some kind of brain impairment, he said. "It is not impossible to build a human brain and we can do it in 10 years," he said. "And if we do succeed, we will send a hologram to TED to talk."

'Shared fabric' The Blue Brain project at Swizerland's EPFL (École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) was launched in 2005 and aims to reverse engineer the mammalian brain from laboratory data. In particular, his team has focused on the neocortical column - repetitive units of the mammalian brain known as the neocortex.

Link

[edit on 24-7-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
An artificial brain that we may load ourselves into like info into a hard drive, coupled with cloning. Well to me that sound like a perfect recipe for immortality and long term space travel.

cant wait to see what come out of this, the possibilities are great.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The question is - will it be possible to download my mind/conscience/brain into a robot?

That is immortality!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Watch Ghost in the Shell...either the movie or the series...this is what our future could look like if we don't kill ourselves before-hand.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

So you copy yourself onto an artificial brain and you have a clone of yourself running around, that is not immortality. If they find a way to integrate an artificial brain with your own then perhaps you could live for ever.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Artificial brain huh...

Well I can think of quite a few people I know that could use this, is there anyway to sign people up for this, lol?

top topics

join