It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[NEWS] Iranian vice-president 'sacked'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has dismissed his most senior vice-president, it has been reported.

The decision, the state news agency Irna said, came after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei ordered Mr Ahmadinejad to do so. First Vice-President Esfandiar Rahim Mashaie had angered hardliners last year by saying Iranians and Israelis were friends. An aide said Mr Mashaie did not now consider himself first vice-president. The decision came after a week-long stand-off between Ayatollah Khamenei and Mr Ahmadinejad, who had defended Mr Mashaie. Ayatollah Khamenei wrote to the president, telling him that appointing Mr Mashaie was "against your interest and the interests of the government". In the letter, which was broadcast on Iranian state TV, Ayatollah Khamenei said: "It is necessary to announce the cancellation of this appointment." Mr Ahmadinejad, who is known for his own outspoken views against Israel, had been defending Mr Mashaie, at one stage calling him modest and loyal to Iran's Islamic system.

link

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Seems like the president must bend to the will of the Islamic leader, if he doesn't all hell will break loose. Seems like behind the scenes the president is second to the Ayatollah.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

I'd posted this eariler today....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But it hasn't gotten any traction here yet.

Anyway, it is an intereesting story from many angles. Ahmadinejad's appointment of the moderate. That appointment being over-ridden, etc..

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by phi1618
Seems like behind the scenes the president is second to the Ayatollah.

There is a reason he is called the Supreme Leader. I don't think anyone would find that shocking. The Theocracy is first and the Democracy, just a show.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Anyway, it is an intereesting story from many angles. Ahmadinejad's appointment of the moderate. That appointment being over-ridden, etc..

If I remember correctely, he is a relative of the President of Iran, which would explain his support.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Its not shocking in the sense that i was not aware of it, its shocking that someone who is a religious leader would have so much effect on a "democratically" elected government.

new topics

top topics

join