It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Called Cop Who Arrested Gates, Still Sees 'Overreaction' in Gates' Arrest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
"President Explains His Remarks About Gates Arrest In Surprise Appearance"

Source Link: abcnews.go.com...

President Obama called the Cambridge police officer who arrested his friend, prominent Harvard University Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., but did not go so far as to say he apologized to the sergeant for saying the police acted "stupidly" during the incident.

In an unannounced trip to the White House press room today, the president clarified remarks he made at the end of Wednesday night's press conference, reiterating his point that "there was an overreaction in pulling Professor Gates out of his home."

I'm not sure if this is really a story that matters or the MSM using it as a distraction to keep our focus away from other things that are more important but I do think that this adds to the credibility to those who believe that Mr. Obama's agenda to rebuild America is true. Playing the race card at every oppertunity, supporting groups like ACORN, AMERICORP, Creating United We Serve and putting in place over 30 government Czar's.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Obama trying to backtrack what he said, and it just proves even more that he can care less., as long as you are a friend of Obama it doesn't matter what you do.

I can't stand this guy.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
He's trying to backtrack but still not letting go of his pompous attitude.

Was Obama there? Has Obama worked as a cop? It may have well been an overreaction but that's for the people investigating the matter to decide not some ivory tower fascist 500 miles away chomping on caviar.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So pretty much if you're a personal friend of obama, you still have rights, and he will stand up for them, however if you're not a personal friend...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
How many elderly white professors get arrested for entering their own homes ; not many I bet. I mean, he just looks like your typical burglar doesn't he ?

To the Police of course he does ; he's black.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

That is about what it sounds like doesn't it.

He was calling people out when he first got into office and still is. Now one of his friends got caught up for acting like a jerk and he sticks up for him.

Obama needs to resign, if he hasn't figured out there are things you do and do not comment on by this point, then he isn't ever going to learn.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
How many elderly white professors get arrested for entering their own homes ; not many I bet. I mean, he just looks like your typical burglar doesn't he ?

Totally uncalled for and untrue! Again with the race card, it has been proven already that it wasn't about race except for Gate's and Obama. Gate's admitted that he had to break into his own place, the neighbors didn't know it was Gate's when they called and when asked for ID by the cop he went off the deep end.... Sorry you have no leg to stand on!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rams59lb

I'm sorry but the only one here playing the race card is you.

In fact, the only time Obama mentions race is in this sentence:

"The fact that this has become such a big issue I think is indicative of the fact that... race is still a troubling aspect of our society."

Note that he is not mentioning race in relation to the incident itself but in relation to the huge media coverage this has gotten.

If the president and the professor had both been white, this would not have been an issue, but because both are black the situation is very sensitive.
Sad but true.

But I think Obama realizes that it was a dumb, inappropriate thing to say and that's why he's made contact with the officer and attempted to clarify the situation.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Even the Keystone Kops wouldn't arrest someone for entering their own home.

Elderly, distinguished, well spoken. And black.

Yeah, the KKKops done right.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It would seem the biggest problem was communication. And all of these people do speak english, right?

Someone obviously didn't get their facts straight. When called to the adress, the police should have known already who lives there. Apparently, from one report I just heard on CNN, the neighbor called the police. I guess they also have a communication problem.

As far as what Obama said about stupidly, it would seem that at the time it was the: " Wright" thing to do.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I dont know why the prof.just couldnt show his id.and be done with it.And if his house was robbed and the cop didnt check?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Wow, this thread turned ugly really quick..

Here let me put my spin on it, see where this crazy train goes next.

The President is not happy with the effect his comments have had on the situation. He realizes he should have chose his words differently. He still feels the Cambridge police handled the situation wrong, but at least now he also places some blame on his friend Professor Gates. He believes the situation could have ended more amicably, and we should learn from it.

He disagrees with those that say he should have no comment on the issue, as he has dealt with issues of race in the past. The mere fact that things "ratcheted up" as they did, goes to show that race is still an issue in America.

He did not backtrack. He is not racist. He's being proactive in nipping a problem in the bud. He exercised his right to free speech.

But to a number of posters here he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Why so serious? And accusatory and ill-tempered? You need to relax. Such bad attitudes are bad for your health.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The crazy old professor didn't tell them it was his home, didn't show ID, and was yelling racist remarks at the cops.

End of story.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

His neighbor called the police,

The police show up.

They don't know who the guy is.

What is so hard to understand?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Weird.

If he'd been a redneck from hillybilly country, with a nice Southern drawl, a shotgun and little Maisie Sue on his arm most folk here would've supported him against the evil oppressive police state.

But because the professor is black they don't. In fact you end up in the grotesque position where ATS members here become apologists for racists, where the black professor ends up being condemned for not playing Uncle Tom on demand and the black President gets crucified for expressing his concern.

Very few actually criticise the KKKops.

So much for ATS ape descendants being further up the tree.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Even the Keystone Kops wouldn't arrest someone for entering their own home.

Elderly, distinguished, well spoken. And black.

Yeah, the KKKops done right.

LOL, maybe he should not have said, "Yo Mamma."

Some professor, more like an agitator.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Weird.

If he'd been a redneck from hillybilly country, with a nice Southern drawl, a shotgun and little Maisie Sue on his arm most folk here would've supported him against the evil oppressive police state.

But because the professor is black they don't. In fact you end up in the grotesque position where ATS members here become apologists for racists, where the black professor ends up being condemned for not playing Uncle Tom on demand and the black President gets crucified for expressing his concern.

Very few actually criticise the KKKops.

So much for ATS ape descendants being further up the tree.

Do you really believe what you are posting?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

He disagrees with those that say he should have no comment on the issue, as he has dealt with issues of race in the past. The mere fact that things "ratcheted up" as they did, goes to show that race is still an issue in America.

So he should start commenting on every issue of race in a America? He is the president he had no business sticking his nose into it.

He stated he didn't know the facts of the case and proceeded to make a statement anyway. He called the police action "stupid".

Then he is also friends with the guy that got arrested. All the more reason to not comment on the situation.

The fact is somebody was watching out for his home and possessions by calling the cops, because it looked like two men were trying to break into the guys house.

The cops responded, and Gates was non-compliant. He acted irate and talking crap to the cop. He showed his Harvard ID before his other ID.

That is the facts of the case. Gates was acting like a jerk and he was arrested for disorderly conduct. Gates started playing the race card and the people that were accused aren't standing for it.

Obama didn't apologize instead he was saying about he should have chosen his words more carefully, more or less it was an apology without apologizing. Obama stands by what he said, he is just trying to give good PR for it.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

2 things: as President of the United States of America, how does he not have any business sticking his nose into a racial issue in America? I'm not implying he needs to have a say in everything racially charged, this is of course his choice. But why is it none of his business? I will agree with you that in this case where it involved a friend of his it may have been better to withold comment, especially without knowing the facts, but again how is it not the leader of a country's business to say anything regarding racial issues in the country he is leading? Is the issue so taboo that even the leaders of a country shouldn't touch it? Doesn't that just keep it as a real issue?

Secondly, he is allowed as much the right as free speech as anyone else in the U.S. His words are just weighed far more as they are heard more. I do agree with the president in believing the Cambridge police acted stupidly and know Mr Obama meant it when he said it. The problems are that no one likes to be called stupid even if it is true, and it was said without knowing all the facts. I know more of the facts at this point and I'm sure the President does as well, and I as well as the President still thinks there was stupidity on the part of the Cambridge police. He is in the position of having to make it sound less harsh not only for good PR, but because he wants to proactively deal with the issue.

C'mon, he ain't all that bad.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

The President is not happy with the effect his comments have had on the situation. He realizes he should have chose his words differently. He still feels the Cambridge police handled the situation wrong, but at least now he also places some blame on his friend Professor Gates. He believes the situation could have ended more amicably, and we should learn from it. He disagrees with those that say he should have no comment on the issue, as he has dealt with issues of race in the past. The mere fact that things "ratcheted up" as they did, goes to show that race is still an issue in America. He did not backtrack. He is not racist. He's being proactive in nipping a problem in the bud. He exercised his right to free speech.

Well he should not have commented in the first place. Has he commented on other incidents which are clearly racially motivated? The man has a chip on his shoulder…not a great idea in a President. What the hell has it got to do with race? Was Gates abused and racially insulted, whilst being punched to the ground and tasered? It’s seen as a racial issue just because the man is black which makes those seeing it as such as racist. In fact it seems it was Gates who made any reference to it being racial…another one with a chip on his shoulder.
Some professor with intellect, a bad temper and no sense decides to go berserk and try to break into his home and gets out of hand when police come. He should perhaps have apologised for the misunderstanding and thanked the police for coming so promptly to protect his property in a calm manner.
And if Obama wants to learn from it he should decide to privately advise his friend to act with more decorum if he is a Harvard professor…and not publicly express his views. If he is concerned with the way the police overreacted, as a matter of principal which would apply to every other member of the public, white, black or pink with stripes, then I am sure he has 4000 minions who could have privately contacted the officer’s superiors and discussed this. But of course we know he is not concerned with the general public.

Mr Gates and his driver were trying to force their way into his house. Sergeant Crowley confronted Professor Gates, who says that he was inside his house when police arrived, and demanded that he show his identification. According to the professor's arrest report, he at first refused and accused them of racism. “The gentleman was shouting out to the sergeant and yelled ‘This is what happens to black men in America’ ”, the report states.

Gates and Obama made a racial issue out of nothing….bodes well doesn’t it?

Sgt Crowley has lectured on racial profiling at a police academy for five years. He gave the black basketball star Reggie Lewis mouth-to-mouth resuscitation when he suffered a fatal heart attack at Brandeis University in 1993.

Yeah...really racially motivated...sure...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join