It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Showdown: Texas may reject nationalized healthcare...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Gov. Rick Perry, raising the specter of a showdown with the Obama administration, suggested Thursday that he would consider invoking states’ rights protections under the 10th Amendment to resist the president’s healthcare plan, which he said would be "disastrous" for Texas.

Interviewed by conservative talk show host Mark Davis of Dallas’ WBAP/820 AM, Perry said his first hope is that Congress will defeat the plan, which both Perry and Davis described as "Obama Care." But should it pass, Perry predicted that Texas and a "number" of states might resist the federal health mandate.

"I think you’ll hear states and governors standing up and saying 'no’ to this type of encroachment on the states with their healthcare," Perry said. "So my hope is that we never have to have that stand-up. But I’m certainly willing and ready for the fight if this administration continues to try to force their very expansive government philosophy down our collective throats."

"It really is a state issue, and if there was ever an argument for the 10th Amendment and for letting the states find a solution to their problems, this may be at the top of the class," Perry said. "A government-run healthcare system is financially unstable. It’s not the solution."

Perry heartily backed an unsuccessful resolution in this year’s legislative session that would have affirmed the belief that Texas has sovereignty under the 10th Amendment over all powers not otherwise granted to the federal government.

In expressing "unwavering support" for the 10th Amendment resolution by state Rep. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, Perry said "federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens and its interference with the affairs of our state."

Returning to the "letter and spirit" of the 10th Amendment, he said in April, "will free our state from undue regulations and ultimately strengthen our union."

www.star-telegram.com...

I wonder if any other state will flex their muscles against the federal gov.

Be interesting to see where this one goes.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Of those Texans who might consider supporting the plan, he said: "This may sound a little bit harsh, but they might ought to consider representing some other state because they’re sure not representing Texas."

Hello Warrenb, I particularly liked the above statement.

Unfortunately, all BO has to do is declare it preempts states rights.

About a month ago I was doing some research for a company that was looking for government contracts and saw a piece of health care legislation that had the statement in it.

I don't know how much it means legally that he can do that on anything he finds opposition to but it seems since the 10th amendment was in place first it should take precedence.

It is possible Perry is just on a campaign trail with this but I don't think so. I read where Texas has one of the largest (1 out of every 4) uninsured populations in the US so he would be compelled to come up with a plan of his own or rework Medicaid for Texas to counter the fed.

I am one of those uninsured but would not like to see the government involved in health care anymore than it already is.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

The new healthcare plan looks like the public school system. We should demand healthcare vouchers.

join