It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BRIT CLAIMS AUSSIE LEGEND

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
it seems that we brits have gone and taken the credit for inventing the boomerang

BRIT CLAIMS AUSSIE LEGEND

One of the iconic images of Australian heritage has been nabbed by the Pommies.

Weapon and sporting tool the boomerang may have originated on British soil and not been an invention of the Aborigines.

Terry Deary, author of the Horrible Histories series, was jogging in West Yorkshire when he passed the famous Swastika Stone, an ancient rock carving which looks like a curvy swastika.

Experts have mused that the Bronze-age image, dating from the around 3,000 to 4,000 BC, is a sun or fire worship symbol.

But Mr Deary has gone all out by suggesting it is in fact a depiction of a quadrang-style boomerang, and incurred the wrath of Aussies.

He said: "It's the earliest representation of a boomerang. There's nothing else it could be."

Aerodynamic throwsticks

full story
www.sky.com...

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That's just fine and dandy.

Australian aboriginals have inhabited the great southern land for 40,000 years in comparison.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
lol, the brits might have to make a native title claim if thats the case.

what a load of cods wallop.

the aboriginals have been using them for thousands of years

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

But London-based Australian DJ Jono Coleman said: "Soon the British will be claiming they invented Fosters and Shane Warne."

LOL

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I'm now ashamed to be British and a fan of the horrible history books, Why claim to be the originator of something that we know full well is a native Aboriginal Tool/Weapon *hangs his head in shame*

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Here's a picture of the swastika stone:

link

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
i can see the curvy swastika but not the boomerang part :/ can someone point it out too me

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
if it's a boomerang then what is that little curvy line coming out of the right side of it?

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
if it's a boomerang then what is that little curvy line coming out of the right side of it?

Looks like a fish hook.
They were really advanced, the first underwater boomerang.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Looks like a fish hook.
They were really advanced, the first underwater boomerang.

LOL ive just woke the parents up laughing at that
I still cant see the damned boomerang no matter how hard i look at it and from any angle

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Actually, that's interesting that you say that. Could it be a hook on some kind of fish to depict an ancient fishing technique?

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Oooh now i see it! it could be an ancient fishing technique, but werent nets used before? Nets can catch more fish too so wouldnt that be more logical

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Yeah, basically that rock carving could be depicting just about anything. For him to say that the picture could only be a boomerang was a statement made using very little in way of mind. I think that maybe he is trying to boost sales for his books or something by making outlandish comments like this that are sure to stir up some comments by many people. Judging from the ATS reaction, he seems to have succeeded.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Yeah, basically that rock carving could be depicting just about anything. For him to say that the picture could only be a boomerang was a statement made using very little in way of mind. I think that maybe he is trying to boost sales for his books or something by making outlandish comments like this that are sure to stir up some comments by many people. Judging from the ATS reaction, he seems to have succeeded.

You ever read any of the Horrible Historys, their like books i read in school when i was 8 just kinda comedy type things aimed to get children interested in history he did a whole range "Terrible Tudors" was my favourite

top topics

join