It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid: Don't Blame Obama For Vegas Blacklisting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
wrong forum..My apologies.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
If it was ALL bush fault, then why didn't Reid, one of the most powerful Congress member in the US, and Obama, the most powerful person in the US, just overturn what Bush had put out.

6 months in a new administration should have been plenty of time to take care of the issue.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
reply to post by Common Good

No, I am comparing how people react to Obama's statements and what he should apologize for. He can't apologize every time there is a negative reaction to something he says.

With that being said, there are a few hustlers Las Vegas and company's who have borrowed from the US taxpayers so focus on paying the money back instead of trips to Las Vegas. What happened to all the outrage about all these company's whom were bailed out going on weekend management retreats? Is it an it's not important until it's effecting me type of deal? I have been to Las Vegas, it's not the cheapest place in the world and I would find it hard to believe that these company's would be shopping for the bargain deals during their trips.

I just don't believe that Obama said the wrong thing here. What message should Obama be sending? It's ok to go on luxurious weekend trips with taxpayer dollars just as long as it helps a US city? When they run out of money should we bail them out again?

I see what you are saying, and Iagree that these buisness owners shouldnt be planning weekend getaways to Las Vegas on the Taxpayers dime. Im 100 percent with you on that. This, however is not about that. This is about buisness, not pleasure. When you have major corporations who come out to Vegas to do conventions, they are there on their own dime. The problem that lies here though is the blacklisting.What makes Las Vegas any different from any other city in the US that do conventions ? Its no different, the only difference is, is that Las Vegas is pretty much the Convention Center of the United States. ALL of the conventions are done here because we can Accomidate to anyone and any buisness. Las Vegas is not just about Gambling, Strip Clubs, Wedding Chappels and illegal prostitution. So for this city to be painted as such , only hurts our economy here even more. Buisness owners shouldnt be afraid to come here to do buisness for the fear of their face being on the 8 occlock news,especially if it is legal. Thats what this is all about.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is a prime example of why President Obama is so dependent on his teleprompter. We are seeing more often than not, the President spouting incendiary words and recently toward the Cambridge Police Department with the controversy involving his friend Professor Gates from Harvard, and now causing a chilling affect on Las Vegas for corporate America to do business in that city.

I feel sorry for the constituents of Harry Reid because he puts the party line before his voters. He just slapped all of you in face on the floor of the Senate. He could have said "On behalf of my constituents, the President should choose his language a little more eloquently, because my constituents are suffering like everyone else in the recession." However, he chose to protect his skin amid his friends in the Democrat Party. He is just a spineless politicians and for anyone to think other of him is naive. He didn't get the nickname of "Dingy," for nothing, Harry Reid has worked hard for that title.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Jakes51]

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I'm not fully knowledgeable about conventions, but I would find it hard to believe that a company hosting a convention doesn't spend any money for the conventions. I'm sure they have to rent conference rooms, pay some money for refreshments and materials that will be used/ transported.

What this comment should not effect is business that have not borrowed money from the government. Until this statement blew up in the media it would have been just about those businesses that have borrowed money from the government. I'm sure a lot more business have reconsidered a trip since then. Any business who has not been bailed out should be free to do whatever they want because they are doing well and can afford to go to Las Vegas.

So in theory the statement was saying that if you are financially able to go to Las Vegas then that's ok, but we have to live by our means. I think the media attention has brought on debates which have skewed the meaning of the statement and has made going to Las Vegas an issue that people think about.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Yes Styki...These companies do rent their convention spaces.
There is no reason why these companies shouldnt be able to come down here and do buisness the way they wanna do buisness, as long as it is on their dime and not the taxpayers. Even then, a lot of buisnesses are stopping their conventions here because of the sensitivity of the economic situation going on right now.
People hear the name LAS VEGAS, and they assume that people are only out here to party and to get Shtfaced. Hense why after Obamas remark, prevents a lot of people comming down here to do buisness, regardless if they are doing it with their own money or not. This is why Goodman is so pissed off.
This city the past couple years has been BOOMING. As of late Last year however, things started taking a downward slide because of the home foreclosures. besides Phoenix, we were among the top 2 of worst hit cities for foreclosures. So Vegas right now, can use all the buisness it can take.

Edit-spelling

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I'll raise Reid 2000 stage hands that will refute the idea that this is somehow NOT Obama's fault.

I'll see your stage hands and raise ya 6400 teamsters (631) that originally supported Obama and now are 'not happy' Maybe Jimmy Hoffa needs to do like his name sake did...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

What Obama was referring to when he made this comment was the company's that have borrowed money from the US.

Yes it is DESPICABLE that the companies that received taxpayer bailout used it to pay executive bonuses and throw a big party. I agree with that..

But what difference does it make if they spend that in Atlanta, New Orleans or Las Vegas? The evil deed is on their heads... there was NO CALL to single out one city... and the problem is it led other companies to say 'uh maybe we better not go this year'

We did not give these criminal companies the bailout money but at least we would have got some of it back

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

In another example, if someone was to take their welfare check and blow it in Las Vegas then I would be disappointed.

Well here in Las Vegas my wife works at ACE. Next door is a welfare office. Just stand outside and watch the cars pulling up to that office to collect their checks... Cadilacs, Hum Vee's you name it ... not ONE beat up junker in the lot

Again whether they blow there welfare check on a trip to Las Vegas, or booze or any other non food or rent item what difference does it make? The fault is in the system that gives people checks without control of how its spent... or if they really need it

Here in Vegas certain 'groups' have multiple incomes, most under the table and not taxed, live in houses bigger than mine and drive Humvees, yet qualify for WIC and food stamps and welfare by someone in the family

I am sure this is a national blight...

But why make the real taxpaying workers suffer by cutting their throats?

[edit on 25-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Yes Styki...These companies do rent their convention spaces.

Well we lost summer MAGIC to New Orleans because they offered the association free floor space... hard to compete with that, though I sympathize with New Orleans as they lost all their conventions to us after Katrina. My company actually transferred our workers from NO to Vegas after the flood

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yea I heard about that.
We cant compete when someone is giving it away for free, you are right.
Its ok though, NO needed the bizz.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join