It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia HealthCare-Is this whats to come?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Posted on Fox News 7/24/09 was this article:

"A mother claims she was forced to give birth on her bedroom floor after being turned away from a Sydney, Australia hospital because there were not enough beds.

Natasha Ramirez, 27, was bleeding and in labor when she first arrived at Liverpool Hospital last week but said she was told by a nurse, "We don't have enough room tonight."

"She told me to go back home because I wouldn't be in labor for another 24 to 48 hours," Ramirez said Thursday.

Five hours later baby Anjelita was born on the bedroom floor at the Ramirez home, The Daily Telegraph reports.

The hospital refused to comment on the specific allegations Thursday. Ramirez was at her Liverpool home with her partner Ricardo Hermosilla when she went into labor about 3 a.m."

This is just one example of why Universal Healthcare is NOT all Obama makes it seem to be. The government (whether Republican, Democrat, Consrvative or Libral, state or federal) doesn't run anything right.

How many times have you drivin down a road where construction was being done? You drive down the same road everyday and a year later the road is still not fixed?
How many times have you gone into the DMV and had problems?
How many times have you tried to get a social security card and had to wait weeks for a little piece of paper with numbers on it?
Nothing the government does runs smooth. They are always wrong when they talk about costs, it always ends up costing much more then expected.
If government can't control anything like this correctly why is it people think they can run and control the most important thing to people in this world. Their health..... I certainly do not want the government telling me what medicine I can and cannot take when I am on my death bed. I certainly don't want the government telling me what medicine I can and cannot give my child. I don't want to be turned away because there is no bed available. I don't want to wait 3 months to see a doctor because they are booked up for months. How is this positive? And I certainly don't want my taxes raised so I can pay for illegal immagrants to have FREE healthcare. Why should any American citizens have to pay for that? I don't understand how people can think this, if anything, is okay. This will have illegal immagrants with the same healthcare as me and I am an American citizen..... How is that logical?
I have an idea, why don't the people that are for this plan pay for it and the people who are against it can take care of themselves and make their own choices regarding their health and their families.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Victoria 1

I suggest you watch Micheal Moore's Sicko if you haven't already. American Healthcare (oxymoron) is one of the worst in the first world. Your hospitals dump people on the street without treating them every day... and dupe those with healthcare out of their claims. Even the Cubans have it better than the US. I'd take Aussie healthcare over America's any day!

IRM

[edit on 24/7/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I certainly do not want the government telling me what medicine I can and cannot take when I am on my death bed

Currently, unless you are wealthy enough to pay for your healthcare in cash, a corporation tells you.

I lived in the United States for 25 years, most of my life. I had insurance when I could afford it, I didn't when I couldn't afford it.

I've lived in the UK for 4 years. Anytime I have needed a doctor I have been treated, no matter my financial situation. THe NHS ( National Health Service) isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it sure beats not being able to go to the doctor because you don't have the money and aren't poor enough to get medicade or old enough to get medicare.

Health care is a right.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
First of all, Obama doesn't have anything to do with the state of the Australian health care system, nor should he. We are our own people and should make our own decisions. Any prompting by him should be rightly treated as outside interference.

Secondly, the family in the news article could have requested a transfer to another hospital (of which there are several in Sydney). Some news articles have mentioned that they refused a transfer and decided to accept the advice of an overworked nurse. I have complete respect for the nursing profession, but like everyone, they can make mistakes from time to time.

My Mum's a nurse, and I know how much they commit themselves to the job, and how more then ever they are finding themselves under a massive influx of patients, all of whom they try to provide the best quality care for.

I just find it scary that and Aussie should be expecting Obama to dictate anything to do with our healthcare. Although it's not perfect, I would rather work to improve it from within rather then take the advice of a foreign president.

Universal healthcare is a fraud and should be rejected based on cultural and territorial differences.

Cheers,
Shane

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Victoria 1

I understand your concerns. Obviously you don't know the inside what is going on. Ask those Australians who live or lived in USA if they would prefer the present medical system in USA or their Australian system if they have to chose one. And you don't have to give up your Insurance either if you love it, that will be your choice. I don't expect everything to be rosy 1st time. I wish every American can read in between the lines, why special interest groups are spending millions to defeat the struggle and why Obama has to compromise with them. 61 years of struggle is not enough time for senate to act on health reform. They still talk why rush.
I suggest to all Americans to get on line and ask the citizens of those countries who have socialize health system and who are familiar with American system and see what they think. Don't fall for the propaganda of special interest groups. I know and I understood every word of President Obama at the press conference. The list I saw here on ATS is the work of Republicans who are using the smear tactics similar to the Court system to throw mud over the face of the President. Go to the MSNBC Richel Meadaw program segment on that day and watch it. I don't know how to load it here. you will find very balanced information there.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hello, i live within driving distance of Sydney. Albeit a bit of a drive, but i can do it there & back in a day or less. I am the right side of 60 & my wife is an all her life RN. Out here you have Medicare or you can pay private which we do. Medicare is levied on your end of year tax. About $1500 a year for a family. For that you get free health care if you are social security & subsidised prescriptions. If you have no money, you will get treated public. We pay about 3 times that but get more choices plus dental, optical, free ambulance etc. We get a rebate as well on tax which decreases as you get older. Our hospital system has problems sure but because of government cutbacks not because the system does not work. You will get help no matter who you are. This case is a bit unusual because of the effect the flu is having on nursing staff. In our town, a medium country town, we are missing 20 staff for that reason at present. That places a load on the system. This woman would have had all the tests & the nurses would have presumed a normal birth. She could have called an ambulance & the paramedics would have delivered at home. I agree, not the best, but i would much rather be sick in Australia than anywhere else in the world. That's fair dinkum. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
ooops did I upset all the poeple down under. I guess you all can't see past your noses. I didn't say anything about obama having anything to do with the Australian healthcare system. It is not to my surprise that you would take what I said and change it into what you want to hear. Obviously you aren't the ones that take the burdon of paying for everybody elses healthcare. You just take along and take money from other people that have worked for it and you are okay with that because it doesn't come out of your pocket. I am glad I am here and not there that is for sure! Pay for your own healthcare, instead of depending on other people for it. What you can't do that? Well then get a better job! And by the way, if a person shows up to a hosptial they are NEVER turned away. They are always seen by a Dr.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Hi There,

If you didn't know mate, we are in the middle of a Pandemic of swine flu over here in OZ, that is why the woman got turned away.

It was wrong for the nurse to do so I know, but beds are short and staff are streached to the limit.

Women have had child birth at home before, not the first time and wont be the last, was common years ago.

All that said, I still would not like an Amecican helth system where only the rich live and the poor die.

Ozy Ozy Ozy Oy Oy Oy

Blessed Be: Kernoonos....

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Victoria 1
Pay for your own healthcare, instead of depending on other people for it. What you can't do that? Well then get a better job!

And that is the problem in the US, the "I'm alright Jack, screw everyone else" mentallity. I have lived in three countries, two have free healthcare and the third had partial payment healthcare. All three countries have higher taxes than the US and these help pay for peoples treatment. I earn a good living, pay my taxes and am rarely ill. However, when the time comes, I know I will be looked after in a hostpital without being hit with a bill at the end, or told I cannot haver this type of medicine because my insurance doesn't cover it.

[edit on 27/7/09 by simon75]

top topics

join