It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Revolution revisited - parallels in modern times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Let's be honest, America is facing the same legal, moral and ethical questions that our Founding generation did, especially regarding the issue of "Who Is Sovereign in the United States." For our Founders, they fought, bled and died on the principles that no man or government has the right to rule over others contrary to their agreement (i.e. compact, constitution) and contrary to the principles of natural law as revealed in the Creation of God; that all men are born in nature with the power to govern themselves; and that no Sovereign government, established lawfully by the consent of we the people, can be usurped and controlled by any other entity. Thus, today in America, the question once again comes down to "Who is Sovereign in the United States?"

Today, there are 3 basic options for "Who is Sovereign in the United States": (1) the Federal government, (2) the State governments or (3) We the People. I feel confident in stating that most contemporary Americans believe that the answer to this critical question is the Federal government--especially as it concerns any practical effect on the power of and over government. For years, Americans have been brainwashed though public education, major media networks and politicians that ALL federal laws are the "supreme law of the land" and that no state law or action to the contrary is valid, citing Article 6, paragraph 2 of the US Constitution as their "irrefutable" proof. Of course they are completely wrong: American ideology and legal fact states that sovereignty rests with "we the people." However, the question must be more narrowly defined.

That is, does the sovereign power of we the people rest with all the people in the nation as one body, or does the power rest with the people THROUGH the respective States? The answer to this question cannot be overstated, because if the sovereign power rests with we the people collectively as one body, then the States have absolutely no power and at the ratification of the US Constitution, the States lost all powers originally granted to them by their respective sovereigns (the people of that State). To the contrary, if Sovereignty rests within or through their respective States, then the States conversely have more power than what is being admitted today by the "Centralists" of our day.

Through an honest study of the history and the context of the Articles of Confederation, the US Constitution, the Constitutional Convention and subsequent Ratification debates, the Federalist Papers, the Anti-Federalist Papers, the rulings of subsequent US Supreme Court Rulings and the writings of political philosophers and statesmen of the 1700s and 1800s, the conclusion is undeniable and clear: We the People are the Sovereigns of the States respectively and of the States United through our respective States.

Read the rest here:
www.newswithviews.com...

Interesting article that poses some insightful questions.

Do Sovereigns throughout our States United not see the significance of the issue we are facing today? Are we so blind to history that we cannot compare this scenario to the very scenarios that led to the American Revolution? Are we so ignorant as to the intents and purposes of the US Constitution? Consider that the "supreme laws of the land" were never meant to be carte blanche powers of the Federal government, but instead federal laws were expressly limited by the terms of the compact between and for the States, found in the Constitution. This concept of "supreme law of the land" was expressed by a founding father, whom many would consider to be a "centralist" in belief, Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist Paper #27:

"[T]hat the laws of the Confederacy [meaning, the United States of America--yes, even Hamilton, along with many other founders, such as George Washington, called the US Constitution a Confederacy, because they knew that the nature and character of the compact of the US Constitution did not change from the Articles of Confederation] as to the ENUMERATED and LEGITIMATE objects of its jurisdiction, will become the SUPREME LAW of the land, to the observance . . . in each State, will be bound by the sanctity of an oath. Thus the legislatures, courts, and magistrates, of the respective members, will be incorporated into the operation of the national government AS FAR AS ITS JUST AND CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY EXTENDS."

Food for thought.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
With all the parallels to the first revolution, just wait until the tax the Soft Drinks!!

I think that is a pretty direct correlation to the original tea party. We have endured Alcohol, Tobacco, Real Estate, Income taxes. Estate Taxes, Sin Taxes, Sales Taxes, and many others just keep piling on and adding up, just like in the 1700's.

They are discussing a tax on Soft Drinks, and Bottled Water. Some states may have already started this! Will that be the last straw?

Are we about to see "Domestic Terrorists" hijacking Pepsi and Coke trucks and dumping them in our harbors???? I hope so!

At first I thought this was funny... then I realized the awful truth of it. Be sure and read to the end!

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
And if he cries,
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find all the ways
To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers,
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid.

Put these words
upon his tomb,
"Taxes drove me
to my doom..."

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Now, its time to apply
Inheritance tax.

And don't forget --

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
Business License Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
Interest Income Tax
IRS Interest Charges, IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Tax
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Taxes
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Taxes
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales and License Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt. We had an Army and Navy, the Marines and Coast Guard. We had the largest middle class population in the world. A man's salary brought in enough money to support his family. Mom could stay home and raise the kids.

Now, I have to press #1 to get someone to speak English to me on a telephone. What in the world has happened to the USA during the last 100 years?

I hope this goes around the world 10 times...

message.snopes.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
You know the saying .. There's two things in life that are guaranteed...

Death and Taxes ....

Sad but true. People only really think about taxes when the word is actually "mentioned" but they don't really look at their electric bill, phone bill, grocery bill, repair bill, etc. to see exactly how much "tax" they really pay.

I think if someone actually pointed out to the people how much they HONESTLY pay in taxes ALREADY and then show how much ADDITIONAL tax the government wants to apply that there would be a complete uprising. I never have been able to understand with all the "taxes" we pay why the government of city, state and federal are all going broke. Other than they waste the money on fancy light fixtures, gold leaf on the domes of the buildings, marble floored government buildings, expensive landscaping, etc, etc, etc.

I once had hope that Obama would get something "good" accomplished for the people but everything he's doing is driving us deeper and deeper into the crapper. Instead of increasing government he should be decreasing government. Instead of bailing out banks and wall-street with Tax Payer money, they should be helping the Tax Payer. IMO he's doing everything WRONG WRONG WRONG!

I can't help but feel this impending sense of doom.

S&F

[EDIT to Add] That "statement" is sooooo true! I'm going to forward the link to that to everyone I know.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by cnichols]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Federal taxation is theft, pure and simple...

The pacification program of the shameful American sheeple is almost complete, and they joyfully smile in their shackles, even while the "Boss Man" whips them for more, more, more..These pathetic souls will never see the truth, just as TPTB intended..

There still exists, much to the dismay of the Elite, a small minority of Americans left that won't drink the cool-aid......and they will be persecuted for it...If you are offended by These Words, then count yourself as one of the mind shackled jellyfish that is willfully contributing to this wicked system of slavery...

If these words make sense to you, then rejoice, because your mere existence threatens to topple these Mad Men...and before too long now, they will be toppled...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter

I agree 100%

although we have to remember history this time and make sure the new boss isin't the same old same in a different costume like our complacent predecessors of the 20th century

top topics

join