It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea tides are expected to rise 5 meters Friday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
India really seems to be getting it from all angles at the mo'

edition.cnn.com...

Seems to be mainly for Mumbai but if it they are having exceptionally high tides there, i can only assume it's happening elsewhere to or of course may be unusually low tides at the other side of ocean.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

they offer no scientific explanations as to why this is occurring?

why not?

is this related to the black blobs in the seas around the world?

is this related to the land rising 20 feet in Cali?

all just coincidences or is something happening that is being kept hush-hush?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Perhaps with all the Monsoon season rainwater returning to the ocean along swollen rivers etc,this coupled with a high tide , that has people on alert.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not sure why just Mumbai (Bombay) is being highlighted - it's on the East Side of The Arabian Sea which is in the North West of The Indian Ocean.

However the whole of the West Atlantic in regards to East coast of USA is also getting higher tides than normal and they don't reckon its due to rising sea levels as it has happened so suddenly!

hamptonroads.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Scientists are closely watching unusually high tides along the entire East Coast, especially in mid-Atlantic states including Virginia, where average daily levels are running between 6 inches and 2 feet above predicted norms.

One veteran researcher at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, John Boon, said he suspects the trend could be the beginning of a decade-long phenomenon of high water caused by an El Niño-like effect in the Atlantic.

“It’s possible we’re entering a new cycle,” he said this week.

A new cycle of what exactly?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Tides are very high (and very low) everywhere on the planet. It is because the moon is near perigee and near it's "new" phase. This occurs several times each year and is not out of the ordinary but when combined with storm activity (especially onshore winds), this can cause problems for low lying areas.

home.hiwaay.net...

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

cuz...you never know

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I think he means a new cycle of El Nino.
Just above he talks about a decade long phenomenon, which in turn implies he thinks the next El Nino will last 10 yrs. If that turns out to be true it would be absolutely catastrophic for the worlds weather patterns and the balance of populations would be completely out of line with them. As we live, where we live, because of historical weather patterns and as we predominately live in cities which in the main have become huge in the last 100yrs it won't take long for that to become a problem.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I agree that is localized to certain areas and is because of Moon Apogee, shifting of Tectonic Plates, and the high temperatures that usually melt the Northern Polar Ice Caps during the Summer in North America.

Even if both Ice Caps were to melt, there would only be enough moisture to cause all of the world's oceans to rise only 2 meters (which would still be cataclysmic and catastrophic to most of the world's population). So a rise of 5 meters would be entirely due to temporal Tidal effects.

This is why the summer months in the Northern Hemisphere bring Hurricanes and Monsoons...add in Moon Apogee and you have a devastating mix, but not an unusual mix.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb

How come this El Nino is making the water levels rise?
There is a real mix of effects from the El Nino, but it says nothing of rising water levels.

During non-El Niño conditions, the Walker circulation is seen at the surface as easterly trade winds which move water and air warmed by the sun towards the west...The ocean is some 60 centimetres (24 in) higher in the western Pacific as the result of this motion.
(Note that is during non-El Nino times) en.wikipedia.org...

My guess is a mix of movement in the earth as well as melting ice. All that weight of ice is causing shifts in the earth as pressure of ice-weight is relieved.

Let's just throw a name on it and say it's an El Nino, which lets us throw all sorts of unexplained weather and earth happenings into one category. Case solved? Nah

[edit on 24-7-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
My back yard runs to a bluff, a bluff on the Cook Inlet, it has the 2nd most severe tide changes in the world, every 6 hours it goes out about a mile, then comes in about a mile, maybe more, its pretty incredible, I have worked out on oil platforms in the middle of it, you can go down to the lower walk ways and see how quickly the current is moving from the tides, its faster then a rushing river.

I am not saying this isn't a HUGE deal since the East Coast has a lot of low coastal cities, i am just saying i am use to ginormous tides.

I guess the clincher for me is I live on a 100ft bluff, I'm untouchable, however the poor folks on the east coast are not so fortunate.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one is using the worlds rotation is getting slower causing the water to surge more. Come on people..... the world has to end somehow in every thread, as well as tie into 2012.

Kidding aside.... Phage IMO has the probable cause nailed.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
Just a little refresher

the earth is not round, nor is it truly elliptical

The GEOID

The geoid, is often described as the true physical figure of the Earth, in contrast to the idealized geometrical figure of a reference ellipsoid.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

dang i never knew the earth was more potato shaped, makes sense tho, where else are the oceans gonna lie?

nice find.

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
While I can't find tide data for Mumbai, the eastern seaboard of the US is indeed experiencing higher than predicted tides. Though atmosphere pressures have been low and low pressures do result in higher tides, it does not entirely account for the difference.
tidesonline.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
What was that web-bot predicted about troubles with the shores?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

The prediction was for a bit more than "trouble with the shores". It was for a Global Coastal Event.

- Global Coastal Event likely in early to mid 2009
The Web Bot sees a permanent loss of low-lying territory globally and foresees that one continent in particular will get hit badly, but it does not say which one. Places to avoid: anything at sea level (Bangladesh/Florida/ etc).

www.december212012.com...

We've passed "early to mid 2009".
Any permanent loss of territory globally? Not where I am and I'm on the globe.
Any continent in particular lost a lot of territory? Not that I've heard about. But I'm sure people will point to high tides and say "See! It was right!"

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the info Phage. But in fairness, I think "mid 2009" would extend to the end of August.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Ok this may not be related but was odd none the less. I have lived here in Florida for 20 or so years. Today while out riding my Seadoo PWC there were some very odd large waves in the Bay in areas I have traveled many times. I looked around for a boat or barge but none to be seen.

The day was calm and the water flat, but in a few locations for 10 or 15 min the waves would start almost like the waves you see on an incoming beach or sandbar. First it was just an odd thing and I decided to just jump them for awhile but they stopped.

Later on while just sitting still in the bay talking to my nieces who I was riding around, waves began to rush up underneath us and it lasted about the same amount of time. Again we jumped the waves and they went away.

We could see in the distance at least 4 other times today odd waves cresting at different locations with no obvious cause.

I did think it was odd but dismissed it until I read this it came to mind again. There are several USAF bases in the area but I also cannot see how they could be related to such odd waves popping up. Tere was also some foam and grass (seaweed) releases in these areas like happens during storms and hurricanes.

This is probably nothing but wanted to note it here just in case.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Ok. Thanks Warrenb. you just completely flipped my world upside down with that one. I thought our planet was pretty and roundish. It's a monster. It's hideously deformed.
Why does it look so round in the pictures? I guess I better go try to find out. Thanks for bumming me out with an ugly planet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join