It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet predators busted in sting operation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This was busted by a undercover agents who posed as 13 or 14 year old girls and then these people solicited sex from them. Some also went to meet these 'girls'. So now we have to be careful of what we say and show on the internet, especially sex. These men may have committed a crime but on the internet how do we know the real age of a person? We cant, so we should be careful and always ask the age of the other person before chatting or anything else.

Five Internet predators from Western and Central Pennsylvania have been arrested and charged with felonies for sexually propositioning undercover agents they thought were 13- and 14-year-old girls, according to Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett.

In all five cases, the attorney general's office said, the men approached undercover officers in Internet chat rooms and quickly steered the conversations toward sexual topics

Source: www.post-gazette.com...

[edit on 24-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The stings like this, and that show "To catch a Predator" or whatever it is, irk the crap out of me. You're right--how can anyone really be sure of anyone's age on the Internet? People always lie about they're age on here.

The sad thing is, some of these men, that get caught in stings like this, probably really aren't predators, they just had a lapse in judgment. Al beit a bad lapse. The cops should also be to blame because they're the one that caused someone to commit the crime. Who is to say that they would've done anything had the cop not been there?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

The cops should also be to blame because they're the one that caused someone to commit the crime

The cops do this to catch child molestors and people who are mentally depraved about having sex with minors. I think the cops are doing a service to the society, and a crime is a crime, it doesnt matter if you are really a predator or not, if you are caught, you must be punished. We hope that this spreads the news among the would be predators and that this stops as a result of the police action.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I agree with you to a point. However, once someone moves away from fantasy ( chatting about sex online IS fantasy ) and actually goes to meet one of these "kids" then a crime has been committed - whether it be a lapse in judgement or something they do regularly is immaterial.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

I agree with you--there is no excuse for the guys going to have sex with who they thought was a 13 year old. But, the cops enabled it to happen. Had the cops not been there, who knows--nothing may have happened!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Can someone please point out to me why this is on abovetopsecret.com ?
and i agree with one of the above posters. there's a very fine line between the police catching someone who was going to commit a crime on there own and the police committing entrapment.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by Merigold

I agree with you--there is no excuse for the guys going to have sex with who they thought was a 13 year old. But, the cops enabled it to happen. Had the cops not been there, who knows--nothing may have happened!

So by your logic is... Allow fully grown men to talk disgusting and depraved things to young teenage girls, because chances are nothing will happen.

Right...

My arguement is: It takes a certain kind of man to even consider talking dirty to a girl who has barely hit puberty. If they are having these kinds of thoughts then chances are the men are leaning towards fulfilling some kind of sexual fantasy.

Would you like to know that some hairy creep is chatting up your under age daughter? Or would you not be bothered because 'who knows--nothing may happen'?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

But, the cops enabled it to happen

There are predators on the internet who target and take advantage of lack of responsible adult supervision of children who use the internet, and these children are vulnerable to such predators. These children 13 - 14 years of age are not mature like you and me and they might fall prey to the wooing tactics of these predators

I would like to add that it is these kind of predators that the police hope to catch with undercover agents

[edit on 24-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
reply to post by octotom

I agree with you to a point. However, once someone moves away from fantasy ( chatting about sex online IS fantasy ) and actually goes to meet one of these "kids" then a crime has been committed - whether it be a lapse in judgement or something they do regularly is immaterial.

And if the cops aren't there, alot of those guys have alot of plans, I have seen rope, shovels, condoms, alcohol, etcetera, all in the trunks of the predator's cars on To Catch A Predator. So I would rather they meet a cop than a real kid, this program is a good thing that may save alot of young people's lives.

Originally posted by National_Insecurity
There's a very fine line between the police catching someone who was going to commit a crime on there own and the police committing entrapment.

I agree, and it is a slippery slope to climb. But I do think these guys are mainly in this for the greater good, and hopefully more people with seriously bad intentions are captured then those who had a lapse in judgement as a poster wrote earlier.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

new topics

top topics

join