It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any states left that don't require building permits???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I like cob structures, but hate permits and having to ask big bro if I can do anything on my land.

There's gotta be places left that dont require permits right?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Depends on where you are, am not sure about US law but in Eurpoe there are ways round planning law, for example in Spain if a structure has been up for more than four years (as long as it is not protected land) it automatically becomes a legal build, irrespective if it had planning or not. Apparently there are two types of people here - those that abide by the book, and those that don't!

If you want concrete info though, I suggest you speak to a planning consultant in your area, they will be able to advise you better than I. Unless there are any on ATS?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Most likely you will need a permit, but the law varies so much not just from state to state, but county to county and town to town. Even different areas of a single town can be zoned differently for different residential building.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Come to Missouri or any place with broad expanses of land between towns. Live in the country. I'm building a new chicken shed and a small greenhouse now. Never even thought of permits.
I'm pretty sure it's a matter of where you are. I'm not inside any city limits, etc. If I were thirty miles away in the nearest town, they have a few permit requirements, most of which apply if you want to hook into city water and power. If you want to build a shed you don't need a permit, even in town. The bigger the town here in SWMo the more permits, licenses, etc apply. If it's worth it to you, you can still find place like that all over. Unless you'd just rather stay where you are and be grumbly about how bad rules are...
good luck with you search!
~pre
heck we even have areas here where the post man doesn't go, drops your mail off at the beginning of County Road such&such and you drive up to get it. How that for 'away from those evil societal norms'? =)

[edited for spelling and grammar, that's what I get for not previewing] =)

[edit on 7/24/09 by preparanoid]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
In Texas, it depends on the county but most rural counties won't care. However, you may run into resistance with a mortgage or insurance company. The big things are septic systems and electrical. Even if you do all the work your self have a professional inspection done and have certified letters of inspection. This will smooth things over with the mortgage and insurance companies.

There's no reason that you can't get a building or occupancy permit for a cob building. Look up cob building on the net, several states have approved cob construction for homes and many local codes will accept other 'approved' methods as long as a local architect has looked them over. Just don't go into any development area that has an Homeowners Association or deed restrictions because you'll never get them to approve it because it will basically make them look foolish for spending so much money on conventional construction methods.

new topics

top topics

join