It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So ... what happened to all the hysteria regarding North Korea ... hmmmm ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
So here we all are a few weeks later and I have to ask myself the following question.

"What happened to all the rampant hysteria and hype surrounding North Korea, Kim Jog Il and the virtually guaranteed threat (at least by many ATS members) of WW3 and nuclear war ?"

We had 100's upon 100's of posts trying to convince us that North Korea was poised on the brink of launching nukes at South Korea and perhaps even America and that KJI was a madman just chomping at the bit and looking for an excuse (preferably one given by the US) to push the button and let fly a nuke or two.
And the media wasn't much better with almost daily updates ensuring that hysteria was maintained at a fever pitch.

And yet, what really eventuated from all this hyperbole and doom prediction ? Absolutely NOTHING ! In fact, I can't recall the last time KJI was even given any attention by the media. Guess the media ran out of steam and moved onto other things that they could use to panic the general populace with.

And what happened to all those prophesisors of doom right here on ATS ? They seem to have faded into the background as well ... probably waiting for the next global catastrophe (real or imagined) to once again re-emerge and give us all their sage advice and pearls of wisdom on how "this" or "that" will happen and their reasons why.
But we only have to take a look at all the current threads pertaining to one catastrophe or conspiracy after another to see for ourselves that the "hit rate and accuracy value" is in truth, extremely low.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Well it was in the news today that the whole thing had been reduced to an insult match between N. Korea and Hillary so I guess the nuke thing is small potatoes.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I am sure Nk is just takin a back seat till this whole MJ fiasco passes...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
lol i agree. while i was not fear mongering (search my posts? i dunno...) i think that a level of concern was and is necesarry when considering nukes and NK in the same thought. however, one of two things, either they launched and we shot it down and they dont want to fuel any more media fire and give them ammunition to pressure us to give them relief... or they simply didnt fire, we called their bluff, and therefore are not as big of a threat as we first thought.

either way, the silence on the matter is deafening and i dont like it...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Well it was in the news today that the whole thing had been reduced to an insult match between N. Korea and Hillary so I guess the nuke thing is small potatoes.

Hillary Clinton? Get N. Korea on the phone and let them know they can have her.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
The negative media attention on North Korea is all bullsh-t, NK is not going to attack anyone.

The whole thing is simply to put pressure on NK so they accept the US banks and media - and let themselves be raped. Doesn't look like it is going to happen - my guess is that as NK gets better armed with nukes - all the US rhetoric will die away, because the US knows it cannot and will not invade NK - so its a waste of time trying to stir public opinion against them.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by afoolbyanyothername

Thanks for the laugh. Good post.

While you are correct in all your criticisms (in my opinion, at least), I do not think the resident doomsayers on ATS intentionally lied or mislead anyone.

They simply bought into the hype, which was well proselytized by the MSM (just like the swine flu), and ran with it. Can you blame them? Every other story was about North Korea.

That's just typical MSM, though. It appeals to the lowest common denominator, to attract the biggest audience. If that means fear mongering, then by golly, fear monger away. The shareholders will thank you. If it's spending 8 solid hours a day talking about Michael Jackson, then do that too! It's all about making money.

Lets be honest, they pick most of these topics because people will watch them.

Same is true here on ATS. The most popular threads aren't the always the most well written, thoughtful, insightful, or original. The most popular topics are the ones with broad appeal across the whole spectrum.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Let me be perfectly clear here and state that NK will not be doing anything to anyone. The "dear leader" over there was just blowing smoke for the people of NK to close ranks around his son as the power transfer moves closer. Dear leader knows he is dying and is just making sure the "status quo" is maintained. NK has no intentions of upsetting the apple cart anytime soon and the leadership has nothing to gain from acting on their crazy threats as they would lose any war thus losing power. No, the dear leader and his power elite are enjoying their cars, liquor, jet skis and whores to much to actually do anything dangerous. NK is content with being a "boil on the ass of the world" for the time being IMO.

....and what's with the giant Six Flags glasses KJI wears? Get yourself some contacts or something and get a better suit while you are at it...Damn.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
shhhhh!!! Don't you get it? The less attention and publicity they get the less motivation they'll have to push their nuclear agenda on us all.. Oh too late.... www.atimes.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

I do not think the resident doomsayers on ATS intentionally lied or mislead anyone.

I agree with you and hope that no one assumes that was the base intention of my post.
Rather I was simply observing that when something makes a big splash in the media or even better, hints or suggests at some potential global catastrophe in the making, then many, many ATS members jump on the media wagon and start to make godlike prophesies as if they have complete access to the "behind the scenes machinations" and begin to unintentionally feed the fear mongering bandwagon.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I agree with the OP .... where are all the NK merchants of doom now ? They seem to be unnaturally quiet as of late !

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
who really knows what runs through ol' kimmy's mind. historically it seems he does his saber rattling...takes his "carrots" and calms down for a bit. what worries me this time around is his health...if he's on his last leg and his time's almost up, would he consider going out with a bang?? his country is already brainwashed and he could totally propagandize some "ultimate legacy" scenario...who knows?? i cant imagine the thoughts of any human with so much power over others. time will tell i guess. regardless, im thinking the whole iran episode will transpire first.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by afoolbyanyothername

Who? couldnt resist anyway china is busy putting the hammer on them and sending them to there room without supper.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
North Korea was the flavor of the month.

That's how news goes. Bleed all you can out of a story them pick a new situation to use to excite people and sell news rags.

Right now we are choosing what the next flavor will be.

Will it be US/Russia/Georgia? Or will it be the swine flu vaccine? That probably won't come to full steam until around September and October.

Be observant and you'll soon See a pattern of the next great news story.

It's all a game.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by dizziedame]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Have you ever been crazy enough to play 3 card monte with a "street hustler"?

After being "burned" 1 or 2 times you begin to realize that to engage the guy in "his game" is an exercise in futility.

The only way to win, is to deny the hustler the opportunity to draw you into his B.S. "trap".

Try not to fall for the "smoke screen" Comprende?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The South Koreans in parliament are too busy fighting each other to worry about N.Korea.

In all seriousness,it was probably just to distract and scare us for a while so we forget the we fact we are all being robbed...

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Solomons]

new topics

top topics

join