It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Caucus Blasts Blue Dogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
politico.com

The Congressional Black Caucus, one of the most progressive coalitions in Congress, is making efforts to keep the most valuable aspects of Obama's plan intact.

The CBC does not exist only to champion the interests of Congressional African Americans and/or African Americans and other minorities in general, but also the country as a whole.

In addition it represent the interests of the poor and working classes as well as the middle class.

IMO we need fiscal conservatives in the conversation to keep us from sinking ourselves economically, even as we benefit most Americans.

But the Blue Dogs and many Republicans put us in danger of watering down the legislation so much in the interests of the pharmaceutical and insurance giants that we'll end up with another Medicare Part D situation. (Part D provides some small relief for drug costs for Medicare recipients, but could provide much more if they didn't cut the insurance and drug companies--which are making out like gangbusters--in on the deal.)

Face it. In order to benefit most Americans as a whole we will have to disappoint and enrage Big Pharma and Big Insurance to some extent. The time has passed when we can afford to pander to them and let them drive the whole health care industry in the United States.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Sestias]

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
From what I gather 50 million uninsured Americans will benefit from this legislation. The other 250 million Americans only have promises that this bill will reduce their health costs and premiums.

Promises by politicians don't mean much.

Is there any guarantee in that bill, written in black and white, that all Americans WILL see a decrease in their premiums and health costs?

I want to see a plan that benefits all not just a portion.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by jam321]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I think you need some rest.

Sleep deprivation often leads to confusion and often hallucinations and delusions.

A good night's rest is usually all it takes to alleviate these symptoms.

If perchance you've been getting enough sleep, you sorely need to reassess the situation.

[edit on 2009/7/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Is there any guarantee in that bill, written in black and white, that all Americans WILL see a decrease in their premiums and health costs?

I want to see a plan that benefits all not just a portion.

I agree.

I want to see such a plan too.

I will pay close attention to the proposed legislation, but my understanding is that ALL Americans will be required to be covered by some plan of their choosing. Proposed is legislation to provide a public option, meaning government-sponsored health insurance will be available to all who want it at affordable and/or subsidized rates.

As for health care costs, they are getting bigger and bigger and becoming a larger and larger part of the budget even as we speak.

Increases in insurance premiums and health care delivery are rising at a faster rate than most people's salaries are.

Something needs to be done.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
From what I gather 50 million uninsured Americans will benefit from this legislation. The other 250 million Americans only have promises that this bill will reduce their health costs and premiums.

If I understand correctly the bill actually provides some coverage for 50 million by taxing the other 250 million on the health care they are already paying for out of their own pockets so everybody gets piss poor health care but the ones who are actually paying get screwed the most.

I don't like that math.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
sorry,
Double post.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
politico.com

The Congressional Black Caucus, one of the most progressive coalitions in Congress, is making efforts to keep the most valuable aspects of Obama's plan intact.

Why do we allow for people to keep overusing this term "Progressive"? To "Progress" denotes the concept of moving forward, and improving conditions from their current state. Now however, it appears that anyone who happens to be Liberal is simply labeled "Progressive", no matter their policies, motives, or actions. In all honesty, the Black Caucus has by-in-large become a backwards grouping of individuals stuck in a past mindset, and due to such an appearance at least, they are not "Progressive", but rather "Regressive".

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Well, yes, "progressive" is a loaded term.

Usually, it's used when one thinks the subject is moving or advancing forward in a positive direction. That's what I wanted to imply about the CBC.

It has recently become a popular term for a certain type of liberal, but it's certainly not limited to that.

When one doesn't like the direction a thing is going in, we usually call it regressive.

What's progressive or regressive depends on where one is standing. The terms are relative and subjective.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Sestias theres absolutely no excuse for the most powerful nation in the world having being ranked 37th in health care availability to its citizens..... below Costa rica for petes sakes. No excuse... the reagan dems know this, the conservatives know this. Nevertheless money talks, and by the looks of it, the insurance industry has been getting real confy in their weekly multi-billion dollar earnings off the backs of sick americans, and ofcourse on the backs of refusing many of those sick americans. The health insurance industry has their mittens on politicians left and right in washington DC.

Apart from ranking 37th in healthcare access to its citizens, 72nd by overall level of health, the US is the last industrialized nation that doesnt have a public plan (unless you count Turkey). Why is america in this state? because the insurance companies have a hold, and they couldnt give a damn about the people, they are just profits. We have folks then saying "how can we trust the government"? Well we can say the same to the french, the Canadians, the Germans, America's allies for petes sakes. Oh but a public plan is a step into commie'misms for this country! Right?! Damn straigh! Everybody else is commie but america! I'd dare the same idiots to say that to the rest of the allies... called the "free world" by these same individuals.

And then theres the question.... if the insurance companies are so darn good enough.... what are they afraid of against this public plan? The argument against a public option goes not further than fear mongering.

...oh and one more thing Sestias... we can manage to increase our military expenditure by $1 trillion over an 8year period, no questions asked, literally throw millions to Isreal on a weekly basis, we can cut another $1 trillion in taxes.... spend more billions on a war based on false reasons... and yet "we cant afford a public option".

SG

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

And then theres the question.... if the insurance companies are so darn good enough.... what are they afraid of against this public plan? The argument against a public option goes not further than fear mongering.

The insurance companies would have to compete with the government insurance plan for customers. That means they'll have to cover more people who are very sick or have pre-existing conditions. It means their premiums will have to cost less.

Right now there are only a few giant insurance companies who cover most of the insured. They have little competition and pretty much charge what they want.

Good, old-fashioned capitalism will force them to compete and keep them honest.

top topics

join