It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reps and Dems: Are you as divided as the Media says you are?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Okay, I have a diverse group of friends. Most of them are Republicans, a few of them are democrats, and some are libertarians (the best group), like myself.

What i've found rather striking, is that we all seem to agree on some basic issues.

1) Less government
2) Less spending
3) Lower taxes
4) Use war as a last resort only

Despite how much the MSM tries to divide us, those 4 basic issues seem to be universal among my group of friends.

So I'm wondering, does everybody feel the same about these 4 issues? Why have we never seen smaller government, lower spending, and conservative use of the military? Sure we got lower taxes under Bush, but with expanded spending, more government, and more war. What a crappy deal, right?

So, are you really as diametrically opposed as you are portrayed to be, or is this simply the MSM using "divide and conquer" to keep us squabbling amongst ourselves over petty issues, which allow powerful interests to manipulate the government to act against our will.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It's the same way with me.

What I think is really going on is that, nobody really wants to be the first one to speak up. Not actually talk about the issue, but broadcast the issue. The second thing is - is that I think everybody already knows what needs to be done, just nobody knows how to go about doing it.

The people are not as divided as people would like to think, people are just afraid to talk about it. Things are getting to the point where it's just going to boil over and nothing is going to contain it and it will be the likes of which has never been seen before.

The media is trying to play their games, but people have more in common than people are willing to admit and talk about, because of things like Political Correctness. People are to afraid to offend people.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Spot on.

First 2 posters starred by me. Well Said Great Topic.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Thanks Hastobemoretolife and 2shores.

It always amazes me that we can be divided on such trivial issues, but be perfectly in sync with the real big important ones.

The big important ones never get talked about in the Media, only the trivial divisive ones

More proof that we're all actually on the same page about a lot of things! I would like to hear some input from people who identify as Republicans and Democrats

Maybe the most massive conspiracy of all is how we've been pitted against each other for decades, while the big issues that we all agree on slide right through unnoticed!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Well, as token extreme liberal, I think more Government is good in certain cases.

But my best friend is Libertarian, my dad's Republican (registered as one, anyway) and mom is a Democrat. I'm still deciding between Democrat and Green but I'm registered as Democrat.

And my boyfriend hates politics, so who knows.

But generally all of us agree on things except my best friend but I think it's more because of her family's financial status and employment status as opposed to mine, and less because of her political stuff. She's not that into politics, anyway.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
1) Less government
2) Less spending
3) Lower taxes
4) Use war as a last resort only

Wait a minute?

Did you get these from talking to citizens?

You know you aren't supposed to take what the citizens want into account. That would put a stop to nearly everything the Repdemconlibocrats are getting away with!

Very irresponsible of you to bring these points up in a public forum.

Tsk tsk tsk.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I know!! If this secret gets out, the two major parties could collapse for grossly neglecting the will of the people!

How dare I listen to people who aren't in the MSM!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Hey. I don't like how you specifically leave out independents in your thread. What about us? We exist too you know!

I don't like always being left out of political discussions. People are always like- Democrats say this- and Republicans say that.

What about the independent party?

The federalists and the cons are just... they're making a big mess out of everything. What can I say?

I say that both parties are in bed with each other. No one is against each other really.

You see that all the time.

May I ask why you forgot about us here? We exist too!!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

The Independent Party? As much as I admire Alan Keyes, I don't think he or his party can make much of a difference.

Most independents become independent because of a falling out with the major parties.

Many people are leaving the Republican party because they are too liberal and cater to Democrats. Also many are leaving the Democrat party because they are becoming too liberal. But one thing you never hear is a Republican leaving the party because it is too conservative.

Put Sarah Palin in charge of the Independent Party and I'd be all over it....but Alan Keyes/Micheal Bloomberg.....nah....I'll pass.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I registered independent mainly on principle. Before the 2008 elections I used to be primarily interested in the Democrat party. I was still a bit naive then. I used to be a registered Democrat until I saw how the Democrats were handling the bailouts. I saw one article- that got me really mad- that was the final straw against the Democrats- when I saw an article about how the Democratic party would refuse to work with Barack Obama on limiting earmarks in their bailout proposals. That was when I still trusted Barack Obama. I thought he actually had principles. Now I see he is a spineless coward just like pretty much almost everyone else in Washington. I lost faith in the Democrat party after a while, and, well, one night I decided to print out a voter registration card, change my party to independent, and I asked my Mom for an envelop for it. I tried to explain why I was doing what I was doing to my Mom. I don't think she understands. So I sent it in- hopefully they got the card, and, well I'm a registered independent and I haven't looked back since. I hope they got it. But yeah. I pretty much dislike most of the people in Washington for the most part. So. Yeah. That's my story with that.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Have you guys ever thought about getting rid of the BS and just be the American Party?

I started this thread...Prove to me that Dems and Reps are different...that's relevant to the OP. Party affiliation is just another way to separate people, and set them against each other. There is no need for opposing parties if, in fact, they were truly trying to represent the will of the citizenry. If decisions were strictly made in America's best interest, then what purpose does a multiparty system afford? Why not simply fill positions felt best suited for them with Americans whom would faithfully serve their nation? Because, doing that would be in OUR best interest, not the actual agenda being sought by them. And, in my opinion, there are very few actual Americans serving in the Federal Government these days. Certainly, at very least, few with any form of conscious, virtue or integrity? I believe politicians with these attributes mostly perished in the Civil War era? Maybe before that?

We are nothing more than money machines in their opinion. Why else would they abuse us with everything from our poisonous toxic waste filled water, food and air to the never ending wars they kill our children in? Injected with vaccines filled with diseases, then poisoned with medications that supposedly treat them? Polluted land, air and water for you to exist in, but never own? And the occasional, but ever lurking, redistribution of wealth to insure you never accumulate too much? Taxed, fined and licensed perfectly in order to keep the carrot visible, but forever out of reach? They do allow entertainment! Lots and lots of mind rotting, easily accessible, backsliding entertainment! They want you to have entertainment so badly, they converted journalism into it as well!

Peace.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I remember in 1980 listening to and agreeing with an elderly Republican woman who was on the radio from the Republican convention. However, she sighed and said views like hers were no longer being listened to at the convention. (And I haven't heard them since from the GOP.)

I came from a time when there was a slogan, Want to live like a Republican? Vote Democratic. I came from a time when one did not always vote a "straight ticket" but would "cross over" at times. Even Nixon founded the EPA!

This nation became separated over social issues, and once that voting block was attained, non-social issues could be grafted onto them. What has lower taxes got to do with abortion or gays? Yet, when voters went to the polls over social issues, they granted power to politicians who did as they please on other issues that affected their voters in practical detrimental ways (loosening regulations on financial dealings, eg. 1980's to now; keeping a national energy policy on oil, e.g.; refusing to hold corporations accountable to the law in hiring illegal workers).

This division was created politically and picked up by the msm, who was becoming less investigative and more lap dog. It was easier to show a map of two colors than a map of diversity (a "dirty word"). In a time of "you're either with us or against us", voters were divided accordingly.

1) Less government...but whose ox would be gored?
2) Less spending...the dirty secret--Republicans spend as much as Democrats, just on different things
3) Lower taxes...but institute "user fees", until one realizes that they can't get something for nothing, such as less taxes for public education but now the family must write a check to pay the bus fee, or the classroom material fee, donate classroom supplies, etc.
4) Use war as a last resort only...definitely there.

As I've said somewhere else, Americans need to not vote Ralph Nader for POTUS but rather join his organizations. Fight the corporate "special interest" control of Washington, and unite in citizen, truly grassroots "special interest" groups. Let your elected official know what you want from them. And understand this is work and there's no "timeline"...it took us 30 years to get to this point and the wounds will take time to heal.

new topics

top topics

join