It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You Define Love?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InthekNOwla

What an amazing explination and I think you nailed it, that is exactly what love is. Seeing yourself in others and being able to relate or feel empathy/sympothy for them. Great post. Not usual for me but S&F my friend....

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
My cats.

2nd line.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101

Originally posted by Eleutheria
I don't really think I have ever been in love. Or might I say, I don't believe I have ever been in love with a woman.

How would one define how you know you are in love when it is in relation to a significant other?

[edit on 23-7-2009 by Eleutheria]

You poor baby, you must be very young. When you fall in love you will know it. You will not have to ask, Is this love? or you may be in denial because you have fought the fear of loving and loosing, but when you feel it you will be like a rabid dog in that you will walk into the flames of hell to be with the one you love. You will see, you will see...

i didn't know 28 is classified as very young, but maybe...i am still holding out hope!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Thank You, I always find that the simplest explanation is usually the best. If I've helped in anyway that is it's own reward.

A Flower For YOU.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by InthekNOwla

You've got the right avatar for this thread that's for sure.

A flower for you

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I find that when I am upset "with" myself, I tend to be upset "at" everyone... so the love everyone as thyself makes sense. I like all of the different responses... love is complicated...it can bring out the best in us and also the worst. I am not sure that I like it...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It can never bring out the best in us, because true love is just love itself, it doesn't hurt anyone.

Romantic "love" OTOH is another matter..

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Not to seem dense...but Huh? Have you never seen a person changed for the better by love?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
ERROR! Sorry, I meant, it can never bring out the WORST in us..

Only the best, real love that is.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
In my view, love is that connection that moves the world towards true peace and understanding and unity, that infinitessimal yet magnificent and ever present force that ultimately propels us forward. When there is love, the various elements work together symbiotically. I believe love cannot exist with judgment and lack of forgiveness. I would also agree that it is light, and not consolation. Love propels us forward, even if it seems harsh to our small reality tunnels, even if it seems to be no consolation at all. It ultimately leads, however, to true reconciliation.

I would define hate as the connection that maintains war, separation, strife, illusory division. It is the god of divide and conquer. It is the tunnel vision without true regard for the other. A sort of, "There is only me." It is a sort of impostor connection based on false projections and judgments, a source of, to quote mindmelding in another thread, a sort of "entropic fractal" that seeks multiplication and magnification, and destroys the understanding of the connection of all, degrading us with its progression.

All that being said, I believe we are in tune with love or hate based on our foundational perspectives. They are both perspectives, but love has the whole perspective in mind. Hate's perspective is reduced to a single point, for it has no regard for the other (remember that a point is infinitesimally small and has no dimension). This single point exists within the "O." It is a mere "O" pinion. It is pinned within the O, but not aware of it. Hate is forever bound by love, even though it does not always seem that way within a loop, within a cycle. I believe that when love reaches that tipping point of being the new opinion of the world, we enter the next dimension of love. I also believe that love, unfortunately, reaches a tipping point status when there is a sufficient progression of hate, and its ugly ramifications are made manifest to the point that blindness is no longer an option. In the next dimension, so to speak, a circle would be represented as a point. It is when our perspective is the perspective looking at the whole picture, and not merely looking at selfish angles within the whole, causing blindness.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I would call it a chemical thing geared towards fascilitating the rearing of babies. I would also call it just a word.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Everything has a "dark" side Omega.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
watcher in the shadows, you are right about everything, in this world of image and deception, having a dark side. It is when we confront our dark side, realizing that our selfish deceptions, our "angles," angels or demons tend to be only for the benefit of "me," and that when viewed from the whole, are counterproductive to me and every other "me", that what I call true love can manifest. When we do not go through this honest, self-reflective process, and then view the self as part of an interconnected whole, a greater self (seeing ourselves in others and realizing empathy, as was beautifully and simply stated), when we do not go through this process, as some unfortunately do not, because the pain from honest self-reflection in the beginning is something difficult to bear, then love is merely a word, from that diminished perspective. It is only a word in the view of image. Transcend image, and it becomes much more than a word. It has real power. Hate can destroy the world over and over. It acts as a lesson, that love is the only way. Hate begets endless revolutions and reactions. Love is the final revolution.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by orwellianunenlightenment]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by orwellianunenlightenment

I do believe you have a point to, well, *chuckles* a point. But my paradigm has and always will rest on balance. That you cannot just have only the good, that by the very existance of the good you will always also find some bad aspects. So to speak.

That, and love is simply a word meant to denote more complex emotions. In my opinion.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I agree with you on the balance part. Maybe I should put it this way; The mirror image of true connection is true connection. It is a universal connection. Hence, there is balance. We tend to define our love for something in terms of how we hate something else. We tend to define our hate for something in terms of how we love something else. I also believe that true love, as truth can be defined by what works, as an awareness of the interconnection of all. It is a transcension of these myopic definitions of love and hate. It is "beyond good and evil." It is a very difficult process, however, and I believe that the perspective of the world will unfortunately reach one of categorical false connection before it can be balanced by universal connection.

Speaking of balance and opposites, I believe these to be mental, and not truly related to ultimate reality. At the base of our brains, we have that on-off switch, that binary center, that light and dark, etc. It turns human thoughts to a dialague of opposites. However, opposites are eventually transcended with the triangulation of something else, through detachment from the false opposites. There are multiple ways to achieve balance, my friend. I guess I am arguing that, in a sort of way, both of the opposites assumed are ultimately nonexistant. The balance is sought so that a higher order might emerge out of the chaos resulting from the rejection of both false points. This is sort of what I call love. It is both working for the other, symbiotically, in order that something greater is created. I would kind of say that love destroys something smaller, to create something greater. Hate destroys something greater, to create something smaller. Do you catch my drift? You might even agree a little bit. We might even be on the same page and not be aware, no?

All this being said, I still agree that many speaking of love are caught in the judgment, image, projection trap. It is something very difficult to detach from. I will even state that my understanding is of course not perfect, but I have had a glimpse at the process.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Don't you think that there are some things or maybe only one thing which transcends duality?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I know I do, and it is the omega-point, in addition to being the alpha-point.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Love is a "supernatural" force that manifests in our consiousness and consciences thereby effecting our nature and our character. It manifests outwardly as humility, patience, forgiveness, kindness, and gentleness; not for my own sake, but for the sake of others that I might glorify the One who has opened my heart and mind to Love.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I believe duality is a lie.
You can have positive and negative aspects without duality after alll.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

But duality does exist, even if only in the minds of humans. And I do believe it is a sort of lie, as it is not a reflection of ultimate reality. That being said, positive and negative would both be "good," for lack of a better word, if they were used with the whole perspective in mind. Build up the concepts that betray a sincere understanding of the whole perspective, with regard for all of the others within that whole perspective. Tear down the concepts that ignore the whole perspective. It is a process, and mistakes are made along the way, but the goal is transcendence, that thing that is a perfect mirror image of the other half. This could be called "God," or ultimate reality, or the symbiotic state, or connection, or pure love, or what have you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join