It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 1256: Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act - Effective Sep 22 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

President Obama signed into law today the toughest new measures ever on the tobacco industry designed to stop young people from smoking,

a powerful habit that the president himself started as a teenager -- and one he is still grappling with on a day-to-day basis.

H.R. 1256: Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act - the president approved gives the US Food and Drug Administration sweeping authority to regulate ingredients in tobacco products, like tar and nicotine, as well as limit advertisements aimed at young people and have final say over new tobacco products. The law, which Congress passed overwhelmingly, also restricts makers of tobacco products from using candy or fruit flavorings in their products and bans them from advertising at sporting or entertainment events.

www.boston.com...

amongst other things this means no more flavored wraps or papers
I wonder if it affects clove cigarettes?

If the governments of the US, Canada, UK and Europe were truly serious and committed to getting people to quit smoking they'd subsidize smoking cessation measures like patches, gum and lozenges.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Thanks Warren you've given me an idea.

I know about a dozen people who all chew peach flavoured dip. I'm going to buy some and stockpile it for use as barter later on when they run out and need the fix. One is the local mechanic.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
This is potentially good news, now if we could spend a portion of the money spent on the bailouts and over expenditures on some real technology to help people who want to stop do so, then it will really be a happy day for many people trapped by cigarette addiction.

I wish I could smoke one or two a day and none on others, but nope I smoke and cannot seem to quit.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I fail to see how banning flavored cigarettes/cigarillos is going to stop teenagers from ever starting smoking.

Those were not around when I started smoking when I was a teen some 18 years ago... well not where I lived anyway. It still didn't stop me from ever starting smoking. Education is the key, not yet another loss of freedom.

Why does teens start smoking? In my case it was peer pressure..."come on, have a drag, it will make you look cool"... and before I knew it, I was hooked. It not like I was told, hey, it taste really good, it is grape flavored dude! I am talking about plain ole regular cigarettes. So why does teens start smoking? a variety of reasons such as peer pressure, experimentation, parents who smokes, family gatherings where an uncle or aunt smokes, just watching other smokers smokes... and the list can be long and not because some tobacco product are candy flavored!

by so called "regulating" those tobacco products, I do not see any plans of action to help smokers stop smoking or non smokers of ever becoming smokers themselves, I just see once again another loss of liberties in that so called "land of the free".

Edit to add

Menthol cigarettes or tobacco is not part of that new regulation, why? The tobacco industries would loose too much money if they were to stop making menthol for I know people who started smoking because they LIKE menthol cigarettes. Take away their menthol and most likely it will cause them to quit smoking even tho menthol is a somewhat candied flavor... The hypocrisy of it all

[edit on 23-7-2009 by miss_silver]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I will find something to smoke.

In my basement.

With curtains drawn.

Drink up all you want, cigarrettes kill on the road, and they tear homes apart, make for smoking driving, and not to mention those domestic scenes

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
IM a smoker sad to say. 34 now and been smoking since i was 18. I smoke a pack of marlboros a day! Thats how addicted i am ; ( ive already lsot 2 parnets both in thier mid to late 50's to smoking. LUng cancer. I started at age 18, partially, because of a long disntace realtionship i got involved in. She lived in Poland..she my first bt she was so beutiful someting about her, and all woman i felt one day iw as gunna mary. well, one year later, she was here visitng, went back..called her one day and she had another man, she was seeing 6 months prior but didnt wanna tell me. VERY devastating. At the same time, some freinds i grew up with, moved back in the are,. msichevous friends...sneak beers into bars, stel metals and other parts from bandoned ltos and plots of land at night. Theys moked,d rank and the peer pressure cmon man one of us jsut do it!!! thats how i also got suckered in. the nicotine made me feel SO goodl. IN fact, my first ciggarette, was a marlboro light. i was addicted, feeling it run through my veins to my brian..very calming.
Nicotine medically speaking is 5 times more addictive than heroin! thats a medial fact. its not so much the nicotine that bad, but the smoke itself along with god knows what other chemicals they put put inthe ciggarette, that kills you. I rememebr googling in once a fact and ingridient sheet for ciggarrettes..theirs not much out thier, ii rememeb finding one. thier wa like 500 ingriedients listed! Licorice, formaldyhide, sodium, stuff that oudns like it bleongs in gasoline and biligical warfoare labs!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I have tried quitting 2 times in the past..made it 3 to 4 months cold turkey. Andf god were those the best 3 to 4 months ever. Smell air again, breath dosnt stink of smoke and tar, get my breath back, levels of ebergy shot up, clearer thinking. Unfortunalty, at those 3 and 4 month marks ide meet n date a woman who smoked; ( seems like women like to skew my efforts lol. thae hardest part is quitting. and ide go codl turkey get enough will power built up. I do not belive in nicotine gum which ias good idea, dont get me wrong. I jsut never bought into it. For the same money, i can get a carton of ciggarrettes and get better feeling results. IDe do it cold trukey,l get sick for 3 week(the times i quite, for 3 weeks i got severe flu like symptoms resulting form withraal and getting healthy agian). MY body would crave that nicotine to feel good.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Thier is a natural ciggareete out thier, called american spirit. Thier better packed, thicker, dont make much smoke. The tobacco is grown on indian reservations. I bought a pack months ago, and it isnt abd at all...but dosnt have the same 'kick' a marlboro does. It does burn a long long time though with less smoke. But..even the package does state...warning, surgeon generals warning smoke causes emphasemia and lung cancer. So it seems anyting with carbon smoke goign into our bodys is bad.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Man. Good.

Today was a bad day regarding people who smoke and myself. Don't ask.

But I wish smoking would just go away.

Edit- And that certain people who smoke who say they want to quit would stop being defensive and just suck it up that they -snips out a section- messed up.

But it's FINE.

[edit on 7/23/2009 by ravenshadow13]

[edit on 7/23/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Bah.

Man I freaking hate the government.

Flavors in tobacco products are enjoyed by people of all ages. Mostly the above 18 crowed of smokers.

This is such BS. Boy am I pissed over this.

Why can't everyone be a LIBERTARIAN??!!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
So this means flavored cigars won't be available after Sept 22nd?

Man thats insane? How come legally smoking adults are not allowed to have a flavored cigar or cigarette? This is just getting to be to much...

Does this apply to Hookah Tobacco also?

Edit to add: I guess its time to learn how to flavor a cigar at home...

[edit on 23-7-2009 by XTexan]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
What's the idea behind eliminating flavors in tobacco products? The hope that the unadulterated thing will taste so bad people will quit smoking?

I'm pretty tired of hearing that it's a nuisance to society when both state and federal governments make so much money in taxes from smokers. Smokers are cash cows even as we are derided and demeaned and have legislation made against us, not to mention killing ourselves.

Why is there so much less public outcry about drinking? It certainly kills people at a terrible rate too. But if you're a drinker over the legal age nobody makes much of a fuss.

Nobody is on more of a crusade than a former smoker against everybody else who is smoking. Obama should take Chantix and maybe he wouldn't be so eager to pass these curbs on our freedom.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Try ordering overseas. That might still be legal. I feel you on the hookah issue.

reply to post by Sestias

I suggest both of you try e-cigs. They're far superior to tobacco cigarettes, and I'm puffing away on one right now (clove flavored. Very good)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
So hard Lemonade should go now too right?
What a joke...
As if an uncommon, novelty smoke were the culprit... I don't know any regular smokers who choose this stuff as their daily vice... It's just not realistic...

And chew? Yeah that's real big with the kids these days...
Hookahs? Pipe tobacco? Man, just when I'd found out the entire cast of high school musical 7 was puffing a sherlock...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Nanny state, nanny state, nanny state...

Should I say it again?

Ya next will be fruit and candy flavored alcohol. Completely rediculous if you ask me. If they don't want children smoking then they need to focus on education and enforcement of the laws that we already have.

I hope the states stand up and say something about this, but I doubt they will.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I know this topic has aged slightly, but I wanted to chime in. Today I went to pick up a pack of clove cigarettes (Djarum is the brand name) from the nearby tobacco shop and they told me that the product I buy is going to be banned by this legislation. So, to answer the question about whether or not clove cigarettes will be banned, there you go.

Anyway, after reading a bit about this new law, it's looking to me that it's less about caring about people's health and more about helping good ole Big Tobacco push some competition out of the way. If the government was serious about fighting smoking, they'd go much further than banning the flavored variety of the products. Why not just ban tobacco altogether, or sink some money (like the oodles of cash made from tobacco taxes!) into government funded research to develop a safer tobacco product? I know, I know, the obvious answer is that there's too much money at stake, and the Big Tobacco companies would be crippled by something like that. But seriously, do they honestly believe that banning these niche products is going to make a significant difference? I'm very confident when I say that the answer is no, it won't make a difference, and that the motivation for this legislation is based purely in money.

Here's a good article that digs into the legislation and some of the realities behind it. I find the whole thing to be about as dirty and disgusting as, oh lets see here...smoking itself?

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

new topics

top topics

join