It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOINC : Take Part in Discovery!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well i cam across this neat little thing called BOINC, basically i links poeples computers over the net to form on big supercomputer! And its all done while your computer is idle!

Use the idle time on your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) to cure diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research. It's safe, secure, and easy

The screensaver it puts up is quite cool, reminds me of the stuff you see on the computer screens in movies. Looks like some heavy scientific stuff is going on

Alot of people are involved with this, and it helps scientists with their research.

Active: 328,641 volunteers, 568,472 computers. 24-hour average: 2,128.59 TeraFLOPS.

also

* Scientists: use BOINC to create a volunteer computing project, giving you the computing power of thousands of CPUs.
* Universities: use BOINC to create a Virtual Campus Supercomputing Center.
* Companies: use BOINC for desktop Grid computing.

Seems like a great way for the average joe to contribute to scientific discoveries,

Volunteer computing is an arrangement in which people (volunteers) provide computing resources to projects, which use the resources to do distributed computing and/or storage. * Volunteers are typically members of the general public who own Internet-connected PCs. Organizations such as schools and businesses may also volunteer the use of their computers. * Projects are typically academic (university-based) and do scientific research. But there are exceptions; for example, GIMPS and distributed.net (two major projects) are not academic. Several aspects of the project/volunteer relationship are worth noting: * Volunteers are effectively anonymous; although they may be required to register and supply email address or other information, they are not linked to a real-world identity. * Because of their anonymity, volunteers are not accountable to projects. If a volunteer misbehaves in some way (for example, by intentionally returning incorrect computational results) the project cannot prosecute or discipline the volunteer. * Volunteers must trust projects in several ways: o The volunteer trusts the project to provide applications that don't damage their computer or invade their privacy. o The volunteer trusts that the project is truthful about what work is being done by its applications, and how the resulting intellectual property will be used. o The volunteer trusts the project to follow proper security practices, so that hackers cannot use the project as a vehicle for malicious activities. The first volunteer computing project was GIMPS (Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search), which started in 1995. Other early projects include distributed.net, SETI@home, and Folding@home. Today there are over 50 active projects.

Feel free to check them out here

also any additional info on this is appreciated, i noticed it DL's stuff to my HD. If there are any problems with this service please let me know.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This is kind of cool. I did this with my PS3 also, it was a different program though cant remember what it was called. Thanks for the links...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The ONLY problem with this program is that if you don't have a top notch computer BIONIC will beat your computer until it assumes the speed of a small worm. I used to use that program when I was watching movies to turn my case into a small space heater.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
great in principle

I just don't like the unmentioned potential that it could be used to snoop your PC

watch out with alot of "Free" software out there

there usually is no free lunch

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Yea i thought about the possibility of spying. However i think if they wanted to spy on our machines they have much better ways of doing it. ( windows backdoor anyone
)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
great in principle

I just don't like the unmentioned potential that it could be used to snoop your PC

watch out with alot of "Free" software out there

there usually is no free lunch

BOINC has been around for years. SETI switched from its own homegrown computer process several years ago. (I think BOINC was inspired by original the SETI program ) Many thousands of computers participate, including official groups from IBM, Dell, Sun, etc, etc, etc. There is absolutely NO funny business going on.

This is not a case of a free lunch. YOU are DONATING your unused computer time, they are NOT giving you something for "free" - their software gives you no benefit what-so-ever except for warm-fuzzy feeling that you might be contributing to something good.

And by the way, if you are doing something that needs all your computer to do, like watching movies, you can turn off BOINC; no problem.

However, in the software world, there is a lot of very tasty free lunch out there. You just have to stay away from the stuff that is going to poison you.

By all means convince yourself that BOINC is safe and that any project you join is worthwhile. I have done so to my satisfaction, but would never expect anyone to rely on my endorsement alone.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I have SETI@home running through BOINC. There are a lot of other programs too, medical research and stuff I think.

Interesting system. Hasn't given me any problems.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Lichter Darius i think what you are reffering to is Folding@home on the ps3 (now called something else i believe)...anyway it is a stanford university project and uses worldwide bandwidth of PS3's to process specific gene configurations which may lead to the research and cure of some cancers.

Also ps3's have been used by the US airforce as a cheaper substitute for super computers....By linnking 30 together or so you can get the same results at a much cheaper price

GOTTA LOVE THE CELL

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
BOINC is really cool. It's awesome and I'd love to have all my servers do BOINC all the time. When I did, I had a rough awakening the next month. My electricity bill went way up. I've had a bunch of 20 Watt CPUs go all out for a month. Ups.

Again, the scientific value is enormous and I would love to donate all my idle CPUs, but unfortunately, it's not free. It's a real monetary donation.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I only run 2GB mem on my laptop and run 4 projects at once in BOINC...typically SETI and climate modeling and haven't yet had a problem. I am not convinced they are stealing anything though...

IMO of course

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

join