It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Semitic incidents in Britain rise to record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Anti-Semitic incidents in Britain rise to record

uk.reuters.com

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain has seen an unprecedented number of anti-Semitic "hate crimes," with more incidents recorded so far in 2009 than in any previous entire year, a Jewish advisory body said on Friday.

Up to end-June, there were 609 anti-Semitic incidents ranging from verbal abuse to extreme violence, compared with 276 in the same period last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.dailymail.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Shame For Britain As BNP Win European Parliament Seats
The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Worrying, but I wonder how many of these incidents were truly motivated by anti-Semitism, rather than just good 'ol fashioned British loutish behaviour.

I have a feeling that this will be tied into the rise of the BNP as a political party. We will have to see.

It is in the best interests of the Jewish community to pad these numbers out, I cannot recall any incidents and I read papers/new sites daily. Perhaps a swastika on a toilet wall or some such 'hate crime' is counted.

I'm not condoning even that, but that's a hundred incidents a month, surely they'd be making the news a little more.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It is my understanding that the British government expanded their hate crimes legislation last year

This would mean that more formerly unclassified actions would be classified as "hate crimes".

Sounds like bunk statistics.

Reminds me of this old joke:

Fred was standing on the street corner with a banana stuck in his ear.

Fred's friend walked up and asked Fred what he was doing with a banana in his ear.

Fred replied that it kept away the dinosaurs.

Fred's friend pointed out that there were no dinosaurs around.

Fred replied with "See, it works!"

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Apparently Anti-Gay crimes have risen, too.

Steep rise in gay-hate crimes in London. The Metropolitan Police revealed 1,123 homophobic incidents were reported between June 2008 and the end of last month, compared with 989 in the same period the previous year.

Rest of the article HERE

[edit on 23-7-2009 by DaisyAnne]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaisyAnne

Thaks that puts the whole report into perspective.

Part of a deliberate effort to sensationalise crime and specifically 'hate crimes'.

I think that's more of a story than the story itself.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Agreed with everyone above.

There is probably no actual increase in "hate speech" from last year. They're simply tracking more speech as "hate speech," and therefore the statistics inflate themselves, with no actual change in the culture.

It could actually be the case that anti-semitic speech is down compared to last year. There's really no way to know, because they're using two different metrics for their comparisons.

new topics

top topics

join